Client-Specific DNS restrictions using IPTables

Ryoushi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:34    Post subject: Client-Specific DNS restrictions using IPTables Reply with quote
Hi There,

After reading some of the questions and tutorials regarding IPtables and routing, I'd appreciate your help regarding this issue:

I'm trying to force specific restrictions on my Roku device, which is connected (wired) to my DD-WRT router and has a static IP, while not affecting the rest of my network (mostly wireless connected devices).

What I need is to: 1. Force Roku to use a specific DNS address (btw - is it possible to give it both a primary AND a secondary DNS to use?) 2. Reject Roku's requests to Google DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).

This is the command i'm currently using - IT WORKS, but it affects the entire network:

iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -i br0 -s 192.XXX.XX.XXX (**ROKU'S STATIC IP ADDRESS**)/25 -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 95.141.XX.XXX (**DNS I WANT TO USE**)
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -i br0 -s 192.XXX.XX.XXX (**ROKU'S STATIC IP ADDRESS**)*/25 -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 95.141.XX.XXX (**DNS I WANT TO USE**)

This is how i'm trying to block Google DNS - currently doesn't work so had to remove it:
iptables -I FORWARD -d 192.XXX.XX.XXX (**ROKU'S STATIC IP ADDRESS**)$(nvram get lan_netmask) 8.8.8.8 -j REJECT
iptables -I FORWARD -d 192.XXX.XX.XXX (**ROKU'S STATIC IP ADDRESS**)/$(nvram get lan_netmask) 8.8.4.4 -j REJECT

Notice I used -S for the first one (subnet) and -D for the second one - not sure what's the correct way to do this. I also tried to get the lan_netmask in the second one but I'm probably doing this wrong.

Would love to hear what you guys think and how this can be done more wisely.

Thanks in advance,
Sponsor
Ryoushi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
So i'm guessing this cannot be done? or did I post in the wrong place...?
would appreciate your help.
raph321
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I do the exact same thing with my Chrome cast. You only need the first two iptables rules that use prerouting on Nat. Remove the /25 after your Roku ip. This /25 tells the router to apply your rule to a range of ip addresses (google "netmask CIDR notation"), hence why your network is affected. I believe you don't need the -i br0 either as you are giving a specific ip already.
Ryoushi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 5:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks for the reply @raph321 .
what do you think about blocking google's DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 - how would you go about it?
raph321
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
With :
Code:
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -s (**192...ROKU'S STATIC IP ADDRESS**) -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 95.141.XX.XXX (**DNS I WANT TO USE**)
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -s (**192...ROKU'S STATIC IP ADDRESS**) -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 95.141.XX.XXX (**DNS I WANT TO USE**)

You are redirecting all DNS traffic (port 53) from your Roku to wherever you want. It doesn't matter where it was going originally -- Google DNS or anywhere else.

To redirect for all your network, you can just do:
Code:
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 95.141.XX.XXX (**DNS I WANT TO USE**)
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 95.141.XX.XXX (**DNS I WANT TO USE**)

By omitting a source IP, you are being less restrictive so the router will now redirect ALL dns requests. I haven't tested this, though. In theory it should work! You could also redirect to your router (put in the IP address of your router in **DNS I WANT TO USE**.

To redirect spefically for Google DNS, I believe this should do it:
Code:
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -d 8.8.8.8 -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 95.141.XX.XXX (**DNS I WANT TO USE**)
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -d 8.8.8.8 -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 95.141.XX.XXX (**DNS I WANT TO USE**)
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -d 8.8.4.4 -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 95.141.XX.XXX (**DNS I WANT TO USE**)
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -d 8.8.4.4 -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 95.141.XX.XXX (**DNS I WANT TO USE**)

Again, untested by me! This should intercept only DNS traffic headed for Google's servers (-d is destination switch) and redirect wherever you want.

Does that answer your question?
Ryoushi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Raph321! Just what I was looking for!
Ryoushi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Raph321! Just what I was looking for!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: