VPN solution for Smart home and media sharing

vic_singh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 20:21    Post subject: VPN solution for Smart home and media sharing Reply with quote
Hello All,

I’ve spent the last 2 months researching for the right solution but with 2 children under 2 years old it can be very difficult to find time.

I’m looking for the best security solution using VPN with Private Internet Access to secure my home network.

My ISP is Rogers with 100Mbps(average 150Mbps) down and 10Mbps up. I have 2 router I could use which are Netgear R7000 and DLink EA2700.

Most important is to secure my smart home devices. I have a Smartthings Hub, Nest thermostat, Amcrest 1080P IP cam(I will have to setup port forwarding) and WeMo light switch. Future purchases will be Harmony remote, Ring doorbell and more IP cams. Getting all this into running on a VPN is important. These devices do not require tons of bandwidth and exactly why I am thinking of running these on the DLink EA2700 DD-WRT router(VPN speed of 20Mbps).

My other concern is VPN speed drops because of encryption which I primarily need for Amazon Fire TV 2, Minix Neo x7, DLNA speakers and ChromeCast. If I connect this to Netgear R7000 with DD-WRT, I only achieve about 30 Mbps with VPN.

If I connect the 2 routers to my modem/router(Hitron CGN 3-ROG) from my ISP, I will get roughly 60 Mbps total VPN speed. Can i get these under the same local network to share media files?

I was also hoping to use the DLink EA2700 as a repeater to extend my coverage.

Are there any solution that will work for me?

Can I get a Raspberry Pi for encryption? And how is the impact for VPN speed?
Sponsor
Mike42Smith
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry, but there are some confusing expressions in your explaination what should be clarified.

Quote:
... using VPN with Private Internet Access to secure my home network.

What exaclty is your aim? Do you want to have a secure access to your private network at home via VPN? That would mean that you need a VPN server e.g. on the DD-WRT providing you this access from the internet into your local network.
Or do you want to put an VPN layer on top of your local network? This means all devices in your network would communicate over the VPN network with each other.
The second version would be quite hard to realize because every device would have to "speak VPN" (has to be a VPN client implemented).

Quote:
I have 2 router I could use which are Netgear R7000 and DLink EA2700.

Do you mean the Linksys EA2700? D-Link and EA2700 make no sence for me.

Quote:
Most important is to secure my smart home devices.

What do you mean with his expression?
You don't want that anyone else can connect to these devices from the internet, right? (just you over the VPN server as a gateway into your local network)

Quote:
Getting all this into running on a VPN is important.

Well, that is exactly what I mentioned above. What do you mean with this expression?

Quote:
These devices do not require tons of bandwidth and exactly why I am thinking of running these on the DLink EA2700 DD-WRT router(VPN speed of 20Mbps).

The Linksys EA2700 has just a 500 MHz CPU which won't be strong enough for high encryption standard and NAT tasks on a band width of 20Mbps, sorry.

Quote:
My other concern is VPN speed drops because of encryption which I primarily need for Amazon Fire TV 2, Minix Neo x7, DLNA speakers and ChromeCast.

What do you mean with "encryption which I primarily need for..."? Do you mean WIFI encryption? Or what is / should be encrypted for "Amazon Fire TV 2, Minix Neo x7, DLNA speakers and ChromeCast"?

Quote:
If I connect this to Netgear R7000 with DD-WRT, I only achieve about 30 Mbps with VPN.

Just to understand, you have already a VPN established? Please explain why you need help if you already used to it.

Quote:
If I connect the 2 routers to my modem/router(Hitron CGN 3-ROG) from my ISP, I will get roughly 60 Mbps total VPN speed.

Again, it seems you have already VPN experiences.

Quote:

Well, if you would ask a specific question or describe your concern. Wink

Raspberry Pi and TP-Link TL-WR710N with OpenWRT
PacOffA10
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 16:57    Post subject: Nest, Bose Soundtouch, wifi receiver connection issues Reply with quote
After I loaded DD-WRT firmware onto my NetGear 7800, I could connect my Nest thermostat to my home network, but my Sabrent RADU (a wifi receiver input that made our old stereo receiver Airplay compatible) could not detect my home network. After I configured my router with VPN settings, my Nest and Bose Soundtouch no longer will connect to the network, but the RADU could at least now detect the network. However, none will connect to the network. I've tried disabling the VPN setting, but no luck.

The other weird thing is all of my devices only detect the 2.4Ghz channel (and not the 5.0Ghz) which was not the case before I inputted the VPN setting on the router.

Thanks in advance!
vic_singh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mike42Smith wrote:
Sorry, but there are some confusing expressions in your explaination what should be clarified.

Quote:
... using VPN with Private Internet Access to secure my home network.

What exaclty is your aim? Do you want to have a secure access to your private network at home via VPN? That would mean that you need a VPN server e.g. on the DD-WRT providing you this access from the internet into your local network.
Or do you want to put an VPN layer on top of your local network? This means all devices in your network would communicate over the VPN network with each other.
The second version would be quite hard to realize because every device would have to "speak VPN" (has to be a VPN client implemented).

-My Goal is to block certain traffic(IPTV service/XBMC) from my ISP. Also unblock US content. FireTV have apps for my kid to watch cartoon but only for US customers.I also do trading which I would like some security for.

Quote:
I have 2 router I could use which are Netgear R7000 and DLink EA2700.

Do you mean the Linksys EA2700? D-Link and EA2700 make no sence for me.

-sorry its the Linksys EA2700

Quote:
Most important is to secure my smart home devices.

What do you mean with his expression?
You don't want that anyone else can connect to these devices from the internet, right? (just you over the VPN server as a gateway into your local network)

-I was protection from outside my local network.

Quote:
Getting all this into running on a VPN is important.

Well, that is exactly what I mentioned above. What do you mean with this expression?

-I think i'm over thinking internet security.

Quote:
These devices do not require tons of bandwidth and exactly why I am thinking of running these on the DLink EA2700 DD-WRT router(VPN speed of 20Mbps).

The Linksys EA2700 has just a 500 MHz CPU which won't be strong enough for high encryption standard and NAT tasks on a band width of 20Mbps, sorry.

-After a bit more research its seems like its somethings i should not be concern about.

Quote:
My other concern is VPN speed drops because of encryption which I primarily need for Amazon Fire TV 2, Minix Neo x7, DLNA speakers and ChromeCast.

What do you mean with "encryption which I primarily need for..."? Do you mean WIFI encryption? Or what is / should be encrypted for "Amazon Fire TV 2, Minix Neo x7, DLNA speakers and ChromeCast"?

-VPN encryption for streaming services. en. IPTV service and XBMC

Quote:
If I connect this to Netgear R7000 with DD-WRT, I only achieve about 30 Mbps with VPN.

Just to understand, you have already a VPN established? Please explain why you need help if you already used to it.

-YES! The problem streaming videos can be very choppy.

Quote:
If I connect the 2 routers to my modem/router(Hitron CGN 3-ROG) from my ISP, I will get roughly 60 Mbps total VPN speed.

Again, it seems you have already VPN experiences.

-this solution will not work.

Quote:

Well, if you would ask a specific question or describe your concern. Wink

[b]- I am thinking a SmartDNS would be a better route for me. Setup VPN for each devices when needed.
Eg. Run VPN on Laptop because there is enough juice for encryption. By setting up everything else on SmartDNS I could run my Whole Home audio without issues..

Sorry for the very late reply.. i'v been very busy.
[/b]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: