DD-WRT cuts off Internet speed in half

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
The_Immortal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:17    Post subject: DD-WRT cuts off Internet speed in half Reply with quote
Hi there!

I've ASUS RT-N16 with DD-WRT v3.0-r28788 mega (01/13/16). The WAN connection is PPTP. The problem is my Internet speed is cutting off (x2) thru that connnection.

I've set WAN connection to Automatic DHCP and then launched PPTP client on computer - the speed was normal.

I've also installed original ASUS firmware and it also shows normal speed.

I've tried 30880 DD-WRT version - the same cutting off...

Could you help me please understand what's the problem?

Thank you!

P.S. QoS is disabled (and all the rest is by default actually).
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
well, i don't know your ISP speed but your unit is a bit old and has slow CPU and its not doing good on high WAN speeds provided by ISP.... especially with PPTP and encryption that is very CPU demanding
The reason is DD-WRT does not have hardware NAT support, it does NAT in a software way more secure and more stable but in a toll of speed performance....
For better WAN speed utilization with DD-WRT, you need better router with modern dual core CPU...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I assume you are measuring speeds through LAN.
What are the speeds you are getting?

This is not the most modern router, the maximum throughput with DDWRT, which uses software NAT, is probably a lot less than with stock FW which (I think) can use hardware NAT (CTF).

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
The_Immortal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:
I assume you are measuring speeds through LAN.
Guys, I'm sorry, I forget to add I'm talking about only LAN connection (no wireless).
egc wrote:
What are the speeds you are getting?
And as for speeds. The normal speed I have to get is 35 Mbit/sec. And the maximum speed I have thru PPTP-connection on DD-WRT is 15 Mbit/sec.
Alozaros wrote:
well, i don't know your ISP speed but your unit is a bit old and has slow CPU and its not doing good on high WAN speeds provided by ISP.... especially with PPTP and encryption that is very CPU demanding

You can see that's not a big speed actually. And as for encryption - it's disabled in Setup:

So I doubt if the problem in CPU. But if it's about CPU indeed could you tell me please where can I see what loads the CPU is getting?

Thank you!
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
If am correct you have a MIPS processor at 480 MHz this should be able to give you more than 35Mb/s. So I do not think that the processor is the problem.

First start to use the latest build, erase nvram after upgrading

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
SinCalChewy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was using an RT-N16 for my gateway router for about a year or so, and I can say it's decent, but definitely on the slower side. If possible, I suggest upgrading to a newer router with a better processor with DD-WRT support. The RT-N16 is an older router model that does what it's supposed to... but not at the best pace. And I had mine overclocked to 500Mhz too to give it that little extra boost.

Deployed Routers:
Netgear R7800 - 1x build 46979
- Gateway (USB /w Entware, CAKE QoS)
Netgear R7000 - 3x build 46979
The_Immortal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:

The_Immortal wrote:

But I never erase nvram after upgrading (because I don't know how)... Is it necessary? But I've upgraded with enabled "Reset to Default settings" - is that are u talking about?

SinCalChewy wrote:
I was using an RT-N16 for my gateway router for about a year or so, and I can say it's decent, but definitely on the slower side. If possible, I suggest upgrading to a newer router with a better processor with DD-WRT support. The RT-N16 is an older router model that does what it's supposed to... but not at the best pace. And I had mine overclocked to 500Mhz too to give it that little extra boost.
Yeah, I understand... But wait, I cant obtain more than 15 Mbit/sec on my device with DD-WRT? It's shocking! Is it ok if I will try to overlock it to 533 Mhz?
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
The_Immortal wrote:
egc wrote:

The_Immortal wrote:

But I never erase nvram after upgrading (because I don't know how)... Is it necessary? But I've upgraded with enabled "Reset to Default settings" - is that are u talking about?

SinCalChewy wrote:
Yeah, I understand... But wait, I cant obtain more than 15 Mbit/sec on my device with DD-WRT? It's shocking! Is it ok if I will try to overlock it to 533 Mhz?

Easiest way to do erase nvram is go to Command Line tab on GUI and issue:
erase nvram && reboot
It will reboot automatically. The other way is telneting into the router and issuing the same command.
Of course you will have to re-configure your router.
The_Immortal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Got the same result after erasing nvram... Damn Sad

So what about overcloking it up to 530 MHz? Could someone answer me on it please?

BTW if it's not about CPU so what's the problem then? Glitched DD-WRT build?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: