How do you setup your QoS speeds? -10%? -15%?

Doffo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 17:28    Post subject: How do you setup your QoS speeds? -10%? -15%? Reply with quote
Hello,

I have a very curious question about how to setup the download/upload speeds once QoS is turned on. I have a Netgear R7000, so FQ_Codel is in use and having a 150Mb download and 50Mb upload should be capable on this router. Smile

What I have noticed is that after I have tested speedtest.net a few times and get myself an average, I tried both -10% and -15%. Of course the speeds averaged faster when I would only minus the 10, but in reality that was around 115Mb download when I would speedtest it over again. For fun, I set the download to 170000, and that brought things up to 135Mb/sec download. That is a speed set MUCH higher than what I get, but that was the only way to get things closer to my actual speed. Is there a reason for it to be that far off?

On the stock Netgear firmware, it will automatically do a speedtest and set the numbers up. The download/upload are much more faster, but why would the stock firmware even have you set the full speed numbers off speedtest.net if you need to shave off 10 to 15%?

Hope this makes sense. I realize that you have to take off some overhead so that the QoS can be effective, but going from 150Mb download to 115Mb download, does it need an extra 35Mb taken off it just to work?

Thanks.
Sponsor
artyddwrt
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 23:36    Post subject: Re: How do you setup your QoS speeds? -10%? -15%? Reply with quote
Doffo wrote:
Hello,

I have a very curious question about how to setup the download/upload speeds once QoS is turned on. I have a Netgear R7000, so FQ_Codel is in use and having a 150Mb download and 50Mb upload should be capable on this router. Smile

What I have noticed is that after I have tested speedtest.net a few times and get myself an average, I tried both -10% and -15%. Of course the speeds averaged faster when I would only minus the 10, but in reality that was around 115Mb download when I would speedtest it over again. For fun, I set the download to 170000, and that brought things up to 135Mb/sec download. That is a speed set MUCH higher than what I get, but that was the only way to get things closer to my actual speed. Is there a reason for it to be that far off?

On the stock Netgear firmware, it will automatically do a speedtest and set the numbers up. The download/upload are much more faster, but why would the stock firmware even have you set the full speed numbers off speedtest.net if you need to shave off 10 to 15%?

Hope this makes sense. I realize that you have to take off some overhead so that the QoS can be effective, but going from 150Mb download to 115Mb download, does it need an extra 35Mb taken off it just to work?

Thanks.

Hmmm. A decent number of views for this question (over 300 as of 21 March 2017) but no reply answers or insight yet.

There is at least one wiki/tutorial that explains settings and concepts for using QOS in ddwrt (different layers of service and precedence between the different available techniques be it by service, MAC, IP,etc...). It seems relatively straightforward but I can honestly say I haven't been able to achieve confidence that QOS is working with my setup either. Part of the issue for me is probably lack of ability / knowledge. I have seen a few folks speculating that QOS doesn't work unless you have a fully paid version of ddwrt but I have no reason to believe that without someone posting confirmation that it does work with a paid version when they were not able to make it work with a public version.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you. I am just as interested in seeing what you may get for answers or insight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: