Looking for New Router (Wired)

jwbtx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 13:29    Post subject: Looking for New Router (Wired) Reply with quote
I'm looking for a new router and am asking for opinions on what to get.

I need a unit that can handle the new internet speeds, especially with encryption (openvpn). I currently have the Asus RT-AC66U. It's been a solid unit, but the small processing power is just outdated.

1) Need strong processor for encryption using openvpn.
2) Dont need wireless capabilities as this unit will only be handling gateway traffic. (Current 66U wiFi is disabled)
3) Preference on lots of RAM

I've been looking at ZyXEL USG20-VPN, but it's already over a year old, and didn't know if something new was out.

I'm not too worried about price, but dont want to over spend either. Only reason I havent pulled the trigger on the NETGEAR Nighthawk X10 – AD7200 is that I dont need the router to provide all those features since my Synology 415+ handles everything; DNS, DHCP, Syslog etc..

Cheers-

jwb
Sponsor
jwbtx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just to give an update.

The ZyXEL is ok. I'll prolly send it back. I ended up going going with the Netgear R9000 and just turned off wifi and services being provided via another device.

The thing is a beast, and highly recommend it. Been running for 7 days w/o hiccups on DD-WRT v3.0-r32753 std (07/19/17). I get about 135Mbps. Through PIA, I get 60Mbps.

jwb
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
R9000 is too expensive the best price/performance router is R7800 so far nothing better than that....as well they trade at good price on E bay....
before you get any router check if there is dd-wrt support for it....
so far R7800 has a great support its stable and has a solid performance with DD WRT Kong builds
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
xfaith
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would get the ubiquiti edge router lite. Thats what I did, and started using my wireless routers as APs.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
xfaith wrote:
I would get the ubiquiti edge router lite. Thats what I did, and started using my wireless routers as APs.

i do believe R7800 will do a touch better than that .. Razz

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
jwbtx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
The ER8 looks pretty cool. Maybe with SFP support for down the road.

I use the Archer C7s as AP's around the house, running DDWRT of course.. I only bought this since I needed something that could handle encryption quick and the quad core route was future functionality. Having a nice little run a the tables in Vegas made the extra $150 irrelevant..

Now on to search for a VPN provider that meets my new needs.. many threads Sad

jwb

xfaith wrote:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: