Finally a new BS build: 07-27-2017-r32868

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
gainestr
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:01    Post subject: Re: About mem leaks Reply with quote
blenn wrote:
@Gainestr: are you positive there are actual memory leaks?

The Linux kernel and drivers allocate buffers dynamically, causing memory usage changes over time. In particular, memory usage will increase when new devices or services are started/activated, for example when USB services are initiated and again when a USB unit is attached. Also, network buffers are allocated when network clients connect and send/receive traffic. This will cause memory use to increase the first time after boot up, but it should even out with time.

Memory being eaten away day by day under a steady-state in traffic and attached devices/clients would indicate a true memory leak. Is this the case for you?

Yes, this is what appears to be happening. The used memory is steadily increasing every day and I have the same number of devices attached. I'm not seeing any errors listed in syslog.
Sponsor
blenn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:20    Post subject: Re: About mem leaks Reply with quote
gainestr wrote:
blenn wrote:

The Linux kernel and drivers allocate buffers dynamically, causing memory usage changes over time. In particular, memory usage will increase when new devices or services are started/activated, for example when USB services are initiated and again when a USB unit is attached. Also, network buffers are allocated when network clients connect and send/receive traffic. This will cause memory use to increase the first time after boot up, but it should even out with time.

Memory being eaten away day by day under a steady-state in traffic and attached devices/clients would indicate a true memory leak. Is this the case for you?

Yes, this is what appears to be happening. The used memory is steadily increasing every day and I have the same number of devices attached. I'm not seeing any errors listed in syslog.

Well, as long as you don't reboot the router every now and then (which would just start the process of allocating new buffers from the beginning every time) it certainly sounds as a memory leak.

You mentioned using Yamon. Do you experience the same memory usage increase with Yamon disabled? What about older DD-WRT releases with Yamon enabled and disabled?
gainestr
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:15    Post subject: Re: About mem leaks Reply with quote
blenn wrote:
gainestr wrote:
blenn wrote:

Well, as long as you don't reboot the router every now and then (which would just start the process of allocating new buffers from the beginning every time) it certainly sounds as a memory leak.

You mentioned using Yamon. Do you experience the same memory usage increase with Yamon disabled? What about older DD-WRT releases with Yamon enabled and disabled?

I did not experience this with build 32597 w/YAMon3. Started noticing it with build 32753 and obviously r32868. I have been running YAMon on all three builds. I suppose that it could be related to YAMon but it was working just fine on build 32597. Seems like things changed when DD-WRT switch over to using nf_conntrack vs ip_conntrack but that could just be coincidence.

I will shut down YAMon for a while but keep USB active and see what happens. If that doesn't help I'll disable USB altogether and try to isolate it more.
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
spuriousoffspring wrote:
Just upgraded from 31924 via dd-wrt GUI. No reset. Disabled 'Short Forwarding Engine' to avoid random reboots.
So far - so good. Any issues and I'll report back.

I'll be very interested to know how well you have got on with this version after, say, a week of continuous running.

I too am running r31924 on my WRT1900AC v1, but have been bitten by some of the upgrades since then, which has dampened my enthusiasm for trying the latest builds somewhat.
spuriousoffspring
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yemble wrote:
spuriousoffspring wrote:
Just upgraded from 31924 via dd-wrt GUI. No reset. Disabled 'Short Forwarding Engine' to avoid random reboots.
So far - so good. Any issues and I'll report back.

I'll be very interested to know how well you have got on with this version after, say, a week of continuous running.

I too am running r31924 on my WRT1900AC v1, but have been bitten by some of the upgrades since then, which has dampened my enthusiasm for trying the latest builds somewhat.

As of right now everything is working great, but it's only been about 12 hours. If I have ANY issues - I'll post em'. Promise! Wink

WRT32X DD-WRT Installation Procedure
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=315569

IPVanish OpenVPN Client Setup TUTORIAL
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=308565

FIRMWARE: OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r8217-2cc821e / LuCI Master (git-18.276.41146-280dd33)
MODEM: ARRIS SURFBoard SB8200
ROUTER: Linksys WRT32X
USB NAS: Western Digital BLACK 1 TB Hardrive + Startech USB 3.0 External SATA III Enclosure
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
ad19 wrote:
myersw wrote:
Agree with the feeling lucky. Very Happy

Installed on my wrt3200. Installed from Linksys UI, as I always do. Did a fresh configuration and now up and running. So far no issues, but up less then 30 minutes.

Still same wireless driver version as last build, 10.3.4.0-20170713. There is a newer one available on LEDE and hoped Brainslayer had included it as it ran fine for me on LEDE. The build is 10.3.4.0.git-20170717.

Have a couple of things added. Now as a DNSCrypt selection and a speedtest option. Don't use DNSCrypt and have not tried the speedtest.

Will update if issues.
--bill

@ myersw, how do you check the Marvell driver version in dd-wrt?
Thanks.

Telnet or ssh in and then issue this command

strings /lib/modules/*.*/mwlwifi.ko | grep "^10.3"

Example with answer from latest build
strings /lib/modules/*.*/mwlwifi.ko | grep "^10.3"
10.3.4.0-20170713

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
sid8tive
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
aairon wrote:
shmike wrote:
sid8tive wrote:
WRT1900ACv1 here. Updated, and looking good!

This sounds promising, but is probably making me overly optimistic too Smile Doesn't this build use a version 4.9* kernel as well, just like the last one did? This will most certainly mean that the reboot issue will affect the WRT1900ACv1. I had reboots at least every 4 hours on r32753 with my WRT1900ACv1.

And that was after you disabled SFE?
If not, then of course the 753 was rebooting for most people until they disabled SFE then I never heard of any "Rebooting" issues.

I never really change or disable much in my DDWRT flashes. Just the SSIDs, passwords, and fan thresholds. I don't even know what SFE is Smile I've always used the latest available build (so, yes, its 4.9.39 currently) and no reboots, ever. The only time my uptime gets reset is when I flash a new build.

FWIW, there certainly is something odd about my unit: Stock FW, DDWRT, and McDebian run flawless - but OpenWRT/LEDE have NEVER worked for me - Wifi breaks every time I flash LEDE.
aventus
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
d0ug wrote:
There appears to be an issue with OpenVPN in this build. I flashed it and could not get any internet connectivity. I checked the OpenVPN status page and it showed that it was connected to PIA, but no traffic was going though. I reverted back to r32597 and everything is now fine.

Deactivate sfe and reboot the router
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
d0ug wrote:
aventus wrote:
d0ug wrote:
There appears to be an issue with OpenVPN in this build. I flashed it and could not get any internet connectivity. I checked the OpenVPN status page and it showed that it was connected to PIA, but no traffic was going though. I reverted back to r32597 and everything is now fine.

Deactivate sfe and reboot the router

That worked. Thanks.

So what is SFE (Shortcut Forwarding Engine)?

No explanation is given and a google search does not turn up anything so it apparently isn't an industry standard term.

If the time was taken to create the New Features section, why isn't it pointed out here and what it does?

Also why enable it by default when it apparently isn't tested very well yet? I suspect this is going to cause a lot of user greif.

Also for the New Features section it would be nice for there to be a display only once option to display after a upgrade flash. If this is actually going to be used to point out and explain new features going forward It would be nice to just see it once, but I don't want to see it each time I login to my router. I know there is a disable option, but i'm assuming it would have to be enabled again to see the new features upon a firmware update?

Google is your friend. Have you tried a search. This was first hit I got.
https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/concept/packet-forwarding-engine-m10i-architecture.html

Sglider
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
My only issue is in QOS i cant not activate FQ_CODEL always revert to SFQ when save or apply settings

WRT3200ACM and r32868 std (07/27/17)
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
d0ug wrote:

I did eventually find a thread that described it as a sort of NAT acceleration

Yup it is a NAT acceleration solution. Reason it does not play well with QoS of course. Seems to need a little work yet what with the reboot issue. I am running with SFE disabled without any issues. Download link is provisioned for 90Mbps so no real need.

TLopez
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
On factory firmware:

Channel 112, 80mhz

3gb mp4 file from a qnap NAS connected via cable to the router > Samsung S8 gives +/- 30MB/s

same test, same file, same channel, same conditions on DD-WRT gives +/- 15MB/s

no vpn running, just a fresh install with basic settings.

Test repeated multiple times with different files.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
If the drive is NTFS it is likely due to the fact that the factory firmware uses a much better/faster commercial NTFS driver than is available in the open-source world.
spuriousoffspring
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
TLopez wrote:
On factory firmware:

Channel 112, 80mhz

3gb mp4 file from a qnap NAS connected via cable to the router > Samsung S8 gives +/- 30MB/s

Any ideas?

I had the same issue. I reformatted as EXT4 and file transfer speeds increased.

WRT32X DD-WRT Installation Procedure
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=315569

IPVanish OpenVPN Client Setup TUTORIAL
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=308565

FIRMWARE: OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r8217-2cc821e / LuCI Master (git-18.276.41146-280dd33)
MODEM: ARRIS SURFBoard SB8200
ROUTER: Linksys WRT32X
USB NAS: Western Digital BLACK 1 TB Hardrive + Startech USB 3.0 External SATA III Enclosure
aairon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 15:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
spuriousoffspring wrote:
TLopez wrote:
On factory firmware:

Channel 112, 80mhz

Any ideas?

I had the same issue. I reformatted as EXT4 and file transfer speeds increased.

From what? to what? PLEASE!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: