Mr. Brainfryer needs a vacation.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
schmuck
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:11    Post subject: Mr. Brainfryer needs a vacation. Reply with quote
After a thorough perusal of recent forum entries submitted by users and the diminishing quality of the newer versions of DD_WRT and the associated work performed by Brainslayer and the other programmers who work on the various versions of DD-WRT, you fellas need a week off. You guys do great work. But, you have obviously been working too hard and the DD-WRT trolley is off the track. The code is getting buggier than a tenement apartment.

You guys need to put down your computers, in fact have no contact with them, for a least a week. During which time you need to engage in some serious liquoring, whoring and reefer smoking and just relax.

When you get back, you then need to, bite the bullet, jump the shark, make the deal, do whatever you got to do, to incorporate the new Atheros drivers into DD-WRT. It is time to admit to yourselves, that you have run the DD-WRT horse into the ground and as you say:

one cigarette costs 2 minutes of your life.
one bottle of beer costs 4 minutes of your life.
one working day costs 8 hours of your life.

Well, beating a dead horse costs you all your minutes, hours and days.

Signed,
Schmuck
Sponsor
txtsd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's sad that I agree with this. It speaks volumes about the quality of ddwrt if I have to consider switching to openwrt.
raz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wish the trunk (Barrier Breaker) OpenWRT builds were more stable. They're not.
farrukh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:30    Post subject: Re: Mr. Brainfryer needs a vacation. Reply with quote
schmuck wrote:
After a thorough perusal of recent forum entries submitted by users and the diminishing quality of the newer versions of DD_WRT and the associated work performed by Brainslayer and the other programmers who work on the various versions of DD-WRT, you fellas need a week off. You guys do great work. But, you have obviously been working too hard and the DD-WRT trolley is off the track. The code is getting buggier than a tenement apartment.

You guys need to put down your computers, in fact have no contact with them, for a least a week. During which time you need to engage in some serious liquoring, whoring and reefer smoking and just relax.

When you get back, you then need to, bite the bullet, jump the shark, make the deal, do whatever you got to do, to incorporate the new Atheros drivers into DD-WRT. It is time to admit to yourselves, that you have run the DD-WRT horse into the ground and as you say:

one cigarette costs 2 minutes of your life.
one bottle of beer costs 4 minutes of your life.
one working day costs 8 hours of your life.

Well, beating a dead horse costs you all your minutes, hours and days.

Signed,
Schmuck

You're exaggerating it. Albeit not as solid as OpenWRT but I've noticed great stability improvements in recent DD-WRT builds (May 2013 onwards)
farrukh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
raz wrote:
I wish the trunk (Barrier Breaker) OpenWRT builds were more stable. They're not.

Each and every OpenWRT trunk Barrier Breaker build I've tried since last few months on my atheros units have been flawless and stable. The DD-WRT's last build is almost there except for 3G broadband problem (on WDR4900 in particular).
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
disagree & i think brainslayer enjoys working with dd-wrt..& openwrt is full of wireless 5ghz bugs like on my wndr3700v1 thats apparently been supported for YEARS, the 5ghz radio just wouldnt turn ON & nothing will make it do so. not to mention their builds are tiny cause for some reason they dont or didnt, include the damn web GUI forcing the user to follow some poorly described guide to install it..talk about user friendly & i consider myself an advanced user. why cant they include luci with the firmware...? & the odd few that i found that did have it in it, it was all buggy & unattractive to look at, options were worded poorly & nothing was organized even setting up basic client mode was like i was trying to create some triple wan fail over with a mesh network or something assuming thats even possible.

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55488 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55460 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

Newbrain
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Been testing several of the latest K3x experimental builds, and while there have been some problems, quality has improved and they just seem to Work now. Actually pretty impressed, as I guess they're way beyond bug convergence now.

Rock on.

/NewBrain
deathnite
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
their builds are tiny cause for some reason they dont or didnt, include the damn web GUI forcing the user to follow some poorly described guide to install it..talk about user friendly & i consider myself an advanced user. why cant they include luci with the firmware...? & the odd few that i found that did have it in it, it was all buggy & unattractive to look at, options were worded poorly & nothing was organized even setting up basic client mode was like i was trying to create some triple wan fail over with a mesh network or something assuming thats even possible.

Only snapshots don't have the WebGUI preinstalled, these are usually built on a daily basis and are considered experimental, thus the name bleeding edge and not meant for your average Joe, but I say the guide is pretty straightforward, requires 3 commands (update the packages repo, install the webgui and start it). If you want luci included you can compile the firmware yourself.

The snapshots include a redesigned HTML5 theme for some time now. I didn't like the old design, but I personally think the new theme looks good and it works well even on mobile devices, unlike dd-wrt where the Administration and Status buttons aren't accessible on the iPhone for example, as the WebGUI is overlapped by some of the top right text.

I switched to OpenWrt on WRT160NL and never looked back. It's great having the option to customize your router according to your needs since the package manager is built-in. I was finally able to get the features I needed and without any useless options I will personally never use. Wireless performance was great on this unit with OpenWrt, but it was fine on dd-wrt as well, never had any complaints regarding this.

The incomplete IPv6 implementation and the MAC Address "feature" introduced with build 20453 on Atheros units were also some of the reasons I switched. Build 20675 was the last one I used before making the switch.

It requires some effort at first, but once you get used to it, it will pay off.

▼ INACTIVE ▼
[Broadcom ARM] ASUS RT-AC56U v2.00 --802.11ac-- dd-wrt v24-SP2-r23919 | RT-AC56U Thread | ASUSWRT-Merlin 384.6-Kernel-2.6
[Atheros MIPS] Linksys WRT160NL v1.0 --802.11n-- dd-wrt v24-SP2-r20675 | WRT160NL Thread | OpenWrt Barrier Breaker 14.07 r40477-Kernel-3.10
_Hannes_
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm no fanboy, hater or anything, I just want something that works.

Being frustrated with dd-wrt (see my other threads) I tried openwrt this afternoon. I'm no fan of big (router) experiments and I always thought openwrt didn't have a webgui and I was reluctant to try it for 2 years.

Now, I'm surprised to see how extremely quickly and trouble-free the change was.

My 3700v2 runs openwrt now and the LUCI webinterface is perfectly fine.

Now I'm curious how stable it is Smile
Hale
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Absolutely agree with the topicstarter.

The firmware becomes a useless pile of junk.

The team should reconsider the priorities and remove things that do not work (QoS), doubled by original features (WDS has low compatibility, but doubled by the software bridge feature), or not needed by the majority of users.
Try to think about stability and unique features.
YOur software wireless bridge is unique and it works. Put it in the highlight!
You have SAMBA in larger FLASH firmwares. Put it in every firmware as the basis for network discovery. This is a unique feature ABSOLUTELY EVERY windows PC would appreciate.
Remove QoS until it is reconstructed from the scratch and debugged by steps. This feature causes major questions on stability and it is dangerous, actually.
TetraSky
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hale wrote:
Remove QoS until it is reconstructed from the scratch and debugged by steps. This feature causes major questions on stability and it is dangerous, actually.

Can you explain more on that?
I've been using the QoS of DD-WRT for a long time and it works just fine for me.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hale wrote:

absolutely not, we'll see how well you & your clients fair without any qos at all, i know i wouldnt be a client of yours for very long with that setup. use a modern build & qos is very decent, old builds is where qos was crap but ive screamed it down their throats so most dont have to, for years & over the last year or so a lot of work has been done with it, went through many test builds with their main qos dev & theres still more work thats planned for it that i was told. right now the best settings is HTB + fq_codel, HFSC is still pending fixes that havent been committed yet(follow trac timeline) that HTB has already recieved.

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55488 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55460 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
And this thread has come to an end...

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: