Buffalo WZR-900DHP WiFi - Low Power

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Buttybach
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 21:16    Post subject: Buffalo WZR-900DHP WiFi - Low Power Reply with quote
I've just bought a Buffalo WZR-900DHP to use with Open VPN and I've installed DD-WRT v24-sp2 (06/23/14) std - build 24461, which I got off the DD-WRT database without any dramas and all is good. Except the WiFi (G). I'm in the UK and the router is reporting it's transmitting at 100mW, which is the max permitted in Europe. Except I don't think it is because the signal received by all of my wireless devices is very weak. I've selected the most underused frequency and compared it with my old router and it's some 40dB down. I've found a couple of similar threads about this issue but no clear answer. Is this a known "feature"? The wireless is booming with Buffalo's own firmware running so it seems to be something to do with this firmware.
Sponsor
mattwong
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 15:23    Post subject: Re: Buffalo WZR-900DHP WiFi - Low Power Reply with quote
Buttybach wrote:
I've just bought a Buffalo WZR-900DHP to use with Open VPN and I've installed DD-WRT v24-sp2 (06/23/14) std - build 24461, which I got off the DD-WRT database without any dramas and all is good. Except the WiFi (G). I'm in the UK and the router is reporting it's transmitting at 100mW, which is the max permitted in Europe. Except I don't think it is because the signal received by all of my wireless devices is very weak. I've selected the most underused frequency and compared it with my old router and it's some 40dB down. I've found a couple of similar threads about this issue but no clear answer. Is this a known "feature"? The wireless is booming with Buffalo's own firmware running so it seems to be something to do with this firmware.

Perhaps weak signal is a common problem. for detailed information, please read http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=169972&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Because you are in UK, you can try a Buffalo Professional (DD-wrt based) firmware which is available at http://www.buffalo-technology.com/en/products/network-devices/dual-band-n/routers/wzr-900dhp-eu-airstationtm-wireless-router-dual-band/

Please note that the site requires your router's serial number. My non-EU routers do not pass the serial number test. If you can download the firmware, could you please PM me your serial number.

Thanks and regards.
Buttybach
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 17:24    Post subject: Re: Buffalo WZR-900DHP WiFi - Low Power Reply with quote
mattwong wrote:
Buttybach wrote:

Perhaps weak signal is a common problem. for detailed information, please read http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=169972&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Because you are in UK, you can try a Buffalo Professional (DD-wrt based) firmware which is available at http://www.buffalo-technology.com/en/products/network-devices/dual-band-n/routers/wzr-900dhp-eu-airstationtm-wireless-router-dual-band/

Please note that the site requires your router's serial number. My non-EU routers do not pass the serial number test. If you can download the firmware, could you please PM me your serial number.

Thanks and regards.

Thanks and I read that thread and tried the commands before resorting to starting this topic. The command line stuff in that thread is quite vague and it didn't work for me. Although the router accepted the commands it still reported 100mW. I also tried the Buffalo professional firmware but it has the same issue. In fact it's slightly worse because the power is stuck on 71mw and the GUI won't allow you to change it. The DD-WRT v24-sp2 (06/23/14) std at least lets you increase it to 100mW.

It looks like there's no solution with this router and I've given up and ordered a Netgear R7000 after positive reviews here http://www.myopenrouter.com/download/52625/DD-WRT-K3-for-NETGEAR-R7000-Nighthawk-WiFi-Router-Kong-build/
qinlejun
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:29    Post subject: can any one backup the factory cfe of wzr-900dhp Reply with quote
can any one backup the factory cfe of wzr-900dhp
just flash wrong cfe.bin file...need reverted back
mattwong
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:43    Post subject: Re: can any one backup the factory cfe of wzr-900dhp Reply with quote
qinlejun wrote:

I can do that, please tell me how.

BTW, Can someone tell me how to backup the original stock firmware.
qinlejun
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:57    Post subject: Re: can any one backup the factory cfe of wzr-900dhp Reply with quote
mattwong wrote:
qinlejun wrote:

I can do that, please tell me how.

BTW, Can someone tell me how to backup the original stock firmware.

i got this information from web

how to use DD-WRT to backup cfe.bin and nvram.bin

dd if=/dev/mtd /0 of=/tmp/cfe.bin
dd if=/dev/mtd /3 of=/tmp/nvram.bin

or use following code:
dd if=/dev/mtd/0 of=/tmp/www/cfe.jpg
dd if=/dev/mtd/3 of=/tmp/www/nvram.jpg

then use download software to download them in following url:
http://192.168.1.1/user/cfe.jpg

under DDWRT use browser with following url can backup:
http://192.168.1.1/cfebak.bin
http://192.168.1.1/nvrambak.bin
mattwong
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:06    Post subject: Re: can any one backup the factory cfe of wzr-900dhp Reply with quote
I have inserted a USB memory to a wzr-900dhp router. I did the following:
dd if=/dev/mtd /0 of=/mnt/usb0_0/cfe.bin
dd if=/dev/mtd /3 of=/mnt/usb0_0/nvram.bin

Because the nvram.bin is over 30 MB, the output files are available at

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=44FF97AE66CC6F85!164&authkey=!AJ7M3J6vPMAQJkM&ithint=folder%2c

I did not test the files. Please note that I got 6 wzr-900dhp routers in Hong Kong. The files may not be suitable for other regions.

BTW, is nvram.bin the original firmware? I just tried to use the nvram.bin on a failed dd-wrt wzr-900dhp (signal was way too weak!!). It was successfully uploaded but the router did not restore to the stock firmware!! Please help.
qinlejun
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
my router also have the problem of weak wifi signel,i send to a more professional people to help slove this problem, he say the wifi driver in cfe maybe has be encryption that cause dd-wrt can not recognize the wifi card well,now he is try find a way to use the factory cfe to flash back to office firmware. i guess if problem is from cfe maybe only the factory dd-wrt version model's cfe is use to slove the signal problem.

by the way, first time i flash from factory to dd-wrt,then i found the wifi problem. and i don'd know what i do, after several hours i flash back to the factory firmware(japan version). and in the factory rom still have the wifi problem, but after one to two hours, i restart the router it work fine. and next day i try to flash dd-wrt again, but this time i can't flash back,so i try losts of ways, until i flash wrong cfe(600dhp2 file).

actually, i think this model of router is so bad, and dd-wrt official issue all is not tested and even not give a warning information until now. Twisted Evil
Huskion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I own a WZR-900DHP2 that I purchased in Japan. I live in the UK now.

The '2' version is only available there, and there seems to be no difference in hardware between DHP and DHP2. I don't know this for sure, because I can't find information about the hardware anywhere (even in Japanese). However, the software features for the DHP2 include a newer version of AOSS supported and a smartphone/tablet interface for controlling the router. It's possible that a DHP2 is a re-issue of a DHP with different software for marketing purposes.

I originally decided to try DD-WRT because I wanted to experiment with changing/spoofing TTL changes using iptables, and the original buffalo firmware did not have the correct kernel modules to make this possible.

The side effect, of course, is that ever since installing DD-WRT, the wireless signal is extremely weak, even after restoring the original buffalo firmware (using the DD-WRT firmware upgrade interface). I can't connect to wifi without my devices being within half a meter of the router.

I haven't tried the Buffalo version of DD-WRT because my router's serial number fails the validation. If anyone can share this, please PM me.

From DD-WRT, I attempted to install European-language firmware for the router "WZR-900DHP-EU" - but to my surprise, the router started up in Japanese and correctly identified itself as a DHP2, leading me to believe that the firmware is aware of regional variants and released the same across regions.

So far I haven't had any luck restoring the wireless signal strength, even after a couple of hours of regular use and a reboot on the stock firmware. I can't download the cfe.bin or nvram.bin from the link provided, so I can't try that. Again, please PM me if you have copies of these from before using DD-WRT.

I think that perhaps DD-WRT replaced the wireless controller drivers and that the stock firmware doesn't replace them with its own; in the debug section of the stock firmware there is an error when you try to inspect the wifi controller log.

If anyone has any ideas or questions about how to fix this, please let me know.
qinlejun
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Huskion wrote:
I own a WZR-900DHP2 that I purchased in Japan. I live in the UK now.

The '2' version is only available there, and there seems to be no difference in hardware between DHP and DHP2. I don't know this for sure, because I can't find information about the hardware anywhere (even in Japanese). However, the software features for the DHP2 include a newer version of AOSS supported and a smartphone/tablet interface for controlling the router. It's possible that a DHP2 is a re-issue of a DHP with different software for marketing purposes.

I originally decided to try DD-WRT because I wanted to experiment with changing/spoofing TTL changes using iptables, and the original buffalo firmware did not have the correct kernel modules to make this possible.

The side effect, of course, is that ever since installing DD-WRT, the wireless signal is extremely weak, even after restoring the original buffalo firmware (using the DD-WRT firmware upgrade interface). I can't connect to wifi without my devices being within half a meter of the router.

I haven't tried the Buffalo version of DD-WRT because my router's serial number fails the validation. If anyone can share this, please PM me.

From DD-WRT, I attempted to install European-language firmware for the router "WZR-900DHP-EU" - but to my surprise, the router started up in Japanese and correctly identified itself as a DHP2, leading me to believe that the firmware is aware of regional variants and released the same across regions.

So far I haven't had any luck restoring the wireless signal strength, even after a couple of hours of regular use and a reboot on the stock firmware. I can't download the cfe.bin or nvram.bin from the link provided, so I can't try that. Again, please PM me if you have copies of these from before using DD-WRT.

I think that perhaps DD-WRT replaced the wireless controller drivers and that the stock firmware doesn't replace them with its own; in the debug section of the stock firmware there is an error when you try to inspect the wifi controller log.

If anyone has any ideas or questions about how to fix this, please let me know.

once back to factory firmware,pls try to flash the factory firmware in buffalo webupdate ui.
Huskion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 0:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
I flashed the same firmware (2.13) from the Buffalo UI inside the router, and no change occurred. The wifi signal is still weak.
Busmaster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Huskion wrote:
I flashed the same firmware (2.13) from the Buffalo UI inside the router, and no change occurred. The wifi signal is still weak.

Looks that I've got same situation, after flashing back to Buffalo user friendly firmware form Buffalo "professional", still very low (no) wireless signal. Solved with reset to factory default from bootloader minCFE web server http://192.168.11.1 or http://192.168.11.1/do.htm?cmd=nvram+erase.
Huskion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Could you please explain how to access the miniCFE web server? I wanted to try that, but I haven't been able to get to it.
Busmaster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Huskion wrote:
Could you please explain how to access the miniCFE web server? I wanted to try that, but I haven't been able to get to it.

Sorry I've made mistake, default address for miniCFE is 192.168.1.1 (probably messing around with opened unit I've changed it) and with default configuration miniCFE web server didn’t event not come up.

I've did little experimenting and think that you should try following:

1) from webgui reset (initialize) unit with defaults

2) open http://192.168.11.1 and logon using user "bufpy" and password "otdpopypassword"

3) open http://192.168.11.1/cgi-bin/cgi?req=frm&frm=advanced.html&CAT=DIAG&ITEM=SYSTEM (Same as Advanced Settings => Admin => System => /cgi-bin/cgi?req=frm&frm=py-db/55debug.html ) and click telnetd to enable telnet

4) telnet to 192.168.11.1 and type:
nvram set boot_wait=on
nvram commit

5) power down router

6) set computer IP address to something from 192.168.1.0/24 range (e.g. 192.168.1.2 mask 255.255.255.0)

7) power up router and now some 5 to 15 second from powering up router should respond to pings and I was able to open http://192.168.1.1
qinlejun
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Busmaster wrote:
Huskion wrote:

Looks that I've got same situation, after flashing back to Buffalo user friendly firmware form Buffalo "professional", still very low (no) wireless signal. Solved with reset to factory default from bootloader minCFE web server http://192.168.11.1 or http://192.168.11.1/do.htm?cmd=nvram+erase.

can you share the buffalo professional dd-wrt file,pls? my email is qinlejun@gmail.com

tks
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: