WNDR3700 v1 DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/15/14) std - build 25648

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
RenegadePC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 18:31    Post subject: WNDR3700 v1 DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/15/14) std - build 25648 Reply with quote
Hello all.

I have a question.

I am trying to tether my cellphone to my router for internet.

Everything is recognized when I plug it in and check via telnet. It recognizes my Samsung phone as an ACM device, but I cannot connect to my mobile network.

Currently, I am tethered to my PC for internet, but I want to share the internet throughout the house. I know there was a guy who did it, I can't find HOW he did it though.

Any suggestsions or advice would be amazing.

Router model and build info in the subject if you didn't see it the first time around.

Thanks!
Sponsor
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
connect to the phone by client/client bridge wifi then make a vap to repeat the wifi

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55488 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55460 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

RenegadePC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
connect to the phone by client/client bridge wifi then make a vap to repeat the wifi

That's what I'm trying NOT to do.

It has been done by someone to connect it via USB, but there were no instructions as to how they did it.

I am not trying to repeat the wifi and burn out my phone's radio. I can hide my USB tether from my provider, but I cannot hide the wifi hotspot.

Is there anyone here who knows how to do it?

EDIT:

Apparently gedster314 has done it, but he had to use OpenWRT firmware. I was trying to stick to DD-WRT... but apparently, it's not possible.

From Howard Forums:
gedster314 wrote:
I've done wifi tethering and USB tethering to my openwrt router. If your router has a USB port that would be a better way to go, your phone will stay charged and not heat up from using both radios at the sametime. As mentioned wifi tether is just a few setting. USB tethering requires installing a few kernel modules. Difficult in ddwrt but very easy on openwrt, especially in the Luci web interface. Once set up, connect phone, turn on tethering, login to the router page and just change the wan from eth1 to usb0.

For forwarding, there are a couple of forwarding apps in the android market. For a while I was having my VIPs push files with scp over ssh. You will probably want to setup dynamic DNS too.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
wndr3700 v1 doesnt have tethering support except for standard cellular data sticks. by what he said openwrt doesnt either so he had to install it manually

(so if it fits why isnt it included then like other routers..if it fits it fits Rolling Eyes )

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55488 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55460 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

RenegadePC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
It can be done.

OpenWRT Huntsman build (openwrt-wndr3700-HM2014-01-25red), just like gedster314 stated in another forum.

My cellphone is connected to my router as I am typing this.

WNDR3700v1 does support it with the right firmware.

It's something that DD-WRT developers should look into... it works quite well.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:

I will quote that when asking Brainslayer to push iPhone tethering over to 16MB flash builds so that there will be space in 8MB flash for tethering more than 50 different phones from 5-6 mfgrs.

All under the motto:
If you can afford to buy an iPhone then you can also afford to buy a router from the high-end range. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
tatsuya46 wrote:

I will quote that when asking Brainslayer to push iPhone tethering over to 16MB flash builds so that there will be space in 8MB flash for tethering more than 50 different phones from 5-6 mfgrs.

All under the motto:
If you can afford to buy an iPhone then you can also afford to buy a router from the high-end range. Smile

How does this apply to this situation? I have an Android phone... I hate Apple with a passion. Everything that deals with apple is bloated in size and/or price anyway.
Razz

I have been USB tethered to my WNDR3700v1 for a few days now. I'm not seeing any drop in speed compared to the speed I had while tethered directly to my PC... It's plug'n'play.

With this OpenWRT build... I simply plug my phone into the router... turn on USB tethering... and it configures itself. Quite simple.

The only thing you'll want to do, is have a rooted phone that has the tethering feature enabled... if you have it enabled, and still get an up-sell screen from your carrier... there is an app in the google market that will bypass that... it's called Tether Unlocker.

It also helps if you use Internet Explorer instead of Chrome, because apparently, the user agent isn't seen by the carrier, and doesn't count towards your hotspot data, if you have that on your plan. At least from what I've seen and read.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: