Put DD-WRT on Edgerouter lite?

n6300user
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 19:55    Post subject: Put DD-WRT on Edgerouter lite? Reply with quote
I bought a used edgerouter lite to play around with and have discovered it offers little beyond hobby activities. For me, it's not that useful over a common router with or without DD-WRT and configuration is an issue. OpenVPN is barely supported.

I noticed there's a DD-WRT release for the ER lite. Does it require a fee for full access, or offer full access such as with with netgear?

If it is freely available, how do you install it? How do you undo the install if you change your mind?

After installation, is there any resource that gives pointers on using it to its maximum capabilities. Otherwise, I'll just figure it out in my own.

Initially, I would just move OpenVPN server to it and make my DD-WRT router into a wireless access point. What are some ideas to jazz up the network given the extra port on the edgerouter?

Otherwise, I'm about ready to sell the useless beast.
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
read the related topic
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
read the related topic

Thank you for your reply. The references mentioned offered no help.

Parts of a long thread might have some help if I read every word, remember them all, and ignore the answers that don't apply or contradict the most confident replies.

These are simple questions. Why so smugly unhelpful? Incidentally, you're not rude. Just not particularly useful.
Fractal
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
n6300user wrote:
Sash wrote:
read the related topic

Thank you for your reply. The references mentioned offered no help.

Parts of a long thread might have some help if I read every word, remember them all, and ignore the answers that don't apply or contradict the most confident replies.

These are simple questions. Why so smugly unhelpful? Incidentally, you're not rude. Just not particularly useful.

The edge router lite is a ubiquiti device and with all professional devices does require dd-wrt activation. That being said to get dd-wrt installed on the edge router lite you need to take the case off of the device and then take the usb stick out and write the dd-wrt image file to the usb and put it back... Linux uses DD and windows uses psyswrite to write images to usb drives.

Once you put the re imaged drive back in the edigerouter and it should boot to dd-wrt on 192.168.1.1 like normal devices, this takes about 2 minutes or so.

Regards,
Fractal
jjohnstonbay
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 19:50    Post subject: ERL not marked as a supported device Reply with quote
I wanted to try downloading a ddwrt image on to a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite, but it is not marked as a supported device, in the Supported Devices list so I don't know what image to download. I hoped I could download an image from another thread specific to the ERL but got a message that I didn't have authorization to download it.
Am I missing something obvious?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ubiquiti Devices All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: