Plex server installation on R7000 Kong build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
shaundi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:56    Post subject: Plex server installation on R7000 Kong build Reply with quote
Hi,

I've done some search but failed.
Could somebody please give me a link for the Plex server installation tutorial on Kong AC on R7000?

Big thanks!
Sponsor
tigs
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 0:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
@boochi99 has pointed out that R7000 will not be powerful enough to transcode. It is not available anyway.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=279003&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15
elRadix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
sometimes you don't need to transcode if you can direct play/stream
_Robb_
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would suggest to purchase a NAS (Network Attached Storage) device for this purpose.

DO NOT 30-30-30 or erase nvram newer routers! It can brick them.

EA6700: Build 27745 (nvram below 32K, ipv6 - HE 6in4)
E4200: Build 26587
WRT54GL: Retired - waiting in the closet for an emergency.
campigenus
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you can have python running on your 7000, installing Plex should be possible.

Download the synology ARM package, and use, for example, winrar to extract the directory containing the necessary files to somewhere on your router. "cd" to said directory and start the server.

It's what I do to run it on my Pogoplug, and that's a box about as powerful as the 7000.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
campigenus wrote:
If you can have python running on your 7000, installing Plex should be possible.

Download the synology ARM package, and use, for example, winrar to extract the directory containing the necessary files to somewhere on your router. "cd" to said directory and start the server.

It's what I do to run it on my Pogoplug, and that's a box about as powerful as the 7000.

What? I have a pogoplug docstar sitting around not doing anything. can you point me a tutorial or the sort to start this?

Thanks
campigenus
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't remember where I got started, but it's as easy as I mentioned.

I should mention, I have Debian running on my Pogo.

So, basically you:

Go to https://plex.tv/downloads
Get the Synology ARM version.
Open it with Winrar - yes, even though the "spk" extension is not recognized by the app, it will open it OK.
Extract the "package.tgz" from the "spk" and then untar it to somewhere on your pogo.
"cd" to the newly created directory and do a "./start.sh"

Streams perfectly to up to three devices at a time. Maybe more, but I had no way of testing, nor do I need more.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I know this is an old topic, but I want to revisit this.

The link in post #2 no longer works. Is this still the case? I have a NAS (WD My Cloud) that is connected 9RJ45) to my R7000, and the PLEX server running on a Win10 machine that is connected to the router via (1GB RJ45).

It's been running pretty well, but could be a little quicker. I can get about 2 streams with little buffering.

Is this the best way to set this up?

Thanks,
dun4cheap
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
This an thread of interest. I am running a plex server on a win 10 machine as well. It is an I7 with 16gig of ram. It serves myself and family abroad. I also use this computer as a media player to the living room. I am using the Plex Media Theater which is in beta and only only available to subscribers.

It would be cool to run it on my buffalo 1750. Though I doubt it is fast enough to do what my i7 is doing, but cool none the less.

So please update this thread with what you find out.

The port 80 forwarding bug with out reapplying settings appears to have been fixxed.

3 Buffalo WZR-1750DHP - DD-WRT v3.0-r29218 std (03/07/16)

6 Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
DD-WRT v3.0-r29218 std (03/07/16)

all in eoip configurations, some with vlans running wep and wpa.

Some with proftp enabled and smb enabled. Mixed ISP from Timewarner cable, Cox Cable and AT&T Uverse.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: