Stuck setting up VPN kill switch

Trozza
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:16    Post subject: Stuck setting up VPN kill switch Reply with quote
I'm a bit lost! Been trying to get a VPN kill switch working for the past 2 weeks (read a few different forum posts) but I'm still stuck.

I'm currently connected to the internet using adsl2+. The connection is via a modem/router TP-Link W8970 (router 1). This then connects to a second router that I have install DD-WRT on (router 2). I want router 1 to access the internet without VPN, and router 2 with VPN (ie don't always want all my data going through VPN so can manually switch to different router while letting other devices on the network remain on the VPN).

I initially set it up using router 2 WAN port plugged into router 1 LAN port. Internet worked when connected to router 2 but VPN wouldn't connect, it had issues resolving. I've unplugged router 2 WAN port and plugged it into a LAN port. So it's now LAN to LAN port. VPN is now working but I'm struggling to get the "kill switch" firewall commands I've come across working.

I'm struggling to understand it but I think it's because all the scripts relate to WAN whereas I'm using a LAN port? Could this be it? The way I'm testing to see if it's working is by changing my username under openVPN so that the authorisation fails. Would this be the best way to go about testing?

Let me know if you need any further info to help!

Thanks,
Troz
Sponsor
Trozza
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
So I think it makes a lot more sense to figure out why you couldn’t get the VPN to work in the WAN to LAN config rather than continue w/ the current LAN to LAN config.

Thanks for the help. I'll go back a step and try to figure out what's going on with the WAN to LAN config and report back where I get stuck.

Thanks,
Troz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: