DDNS page has no Save/Apply buttons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
rickson2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 20:18    Post subject: DDNS page has no Save/Apply buttons Reply with quote
Cisco/Linksys WRT310N V2 with v24-sp2 firmware (3-25-13 mini), also same issue with the 8/12/10 firmware:

The Setup -> DDNS page on all my browsers (IE11, Chrome, Opera) is basically unreadable (black on black?), but I can fix that by highlighting/selecting all the text on the page; however, what I can't seem to fix is there appears to be NO button to SAVE or APPLY any settings entered into the form on this page!

I had somehow gotten this set some years ago (I don't remember how - maybe I entered commands on a different page?), but now the password has changed, and I am having a devil of a time trying to update it.

Help anyone?
Thanks.

**UPDATE**: I found that the problem with the appearance of the DDNS page & lack of buttons to SAVE or APPLY was due to the error from the existing data that had bad username/password combo. I was able to "fix" by changing the password on the ddns server to match the password in the router & reboot the router. Then there was no error in setting the DDNS and the page appeared normally with the web admin. As long as I changed username/password to something valid, the page remains ok. But, if I change the username/password to something that doesn't work, the problem reappears - the webpage goes black and no SAVE/APPLY buttons...
I'd say this is a bug, but I'd also say I gotta work around it as I don't expect it to be fixed (and I'm not capable of fixing it).
Sponsor
BillEccles
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
How'd you go about solving the problem? Did you put the username and password into the webpage? If so, how'd it then get applied? Or did you edit the inadyn configuration? If so, what'd that end up looking like?

I have the same problem...

Thanks,
Bill
BillEccles
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, I fixed my problem, and I'll share how it's done.

First, know that the problem may be a misconfiguration resulting from a bad username/password combo, or from trying to use the right username/password with the wrong DDNS provider (as was my case), or both (yuck). If you inadvertently save your changes before you're completely done with the DDNS configuration, you'll hose yourself as I did.

Second, if you haven't logged into your router with ssh or telnet, learn how to do this now. It's required.

Third, learn to use vi or some other means by which you can modify a file on your router.

Now let's fix the problem.

If you messed up your configuration, but not the username or password, correct the inadyn.conf file. Edit or otherwise overwrite /tmp/ddns/inadyn.conf so that it looks like this:

Code:
--background --dyndns_system custom@http_svr_basic_auth -a all.dnsomatic.com --update_period_sec 600 --forced_update_period 86400 --log_file /tmp/ddns/ddns.log --cache_dir /tmp/ddns --exec ddns_success --dyndns_server_name updates.dnsomatic.com --dyndns_server_url http://updates.dnsomatic.com/nic/update?

Note that your options may be different depending on what DDNS provider you use, but you should be able to Google the proper --dyndns_system, -a, --dyndns_server_name and --dyndns_server_url based on your provider. They're all here on the DD-WRT site.

If you messed up your username and/or password, you'll have to kill the current inadyn process and restart it with the proper username/password combo.

So do a ps to find out what the process ID is. It'll look like this:

Code:
inadyn -u wrongusername -p wrongpassword --input_file /tmp/ddns/inadyn.conf

Kill it off (kill pid). Delete the inadyn cache file so that an update is forced, like this:

Code:
rm /tmp/ddns/inadyn_ip.cache

Then restart it like this:

Code:
inadyn -u correctusername -p correctpassword --input_file /tmp/ddns/inadyn.conf

With any luck, if you look at ddns.log, you'll see something like this:

Code:
/tmp/ddns# more ddns.log
Sat Jul  4 00:34:03 2015: INADYN: Started 'INADYN Advanced version 1.96-ADV' - dynamic DNS updater.
Sat Jul  4 00:34:03 2015: I:INADYN: IP address for alias 'all.dnsomatic.com' needs update to 'xx.xx.xx.xx'
Sat Jul  4 00:34:04 2015: I:INADYN: Alias 'all.dnsomatic.com' to IP 'xx.xx.xx.xx' updated successfully.

If not, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Finally, when it's all said and done, your DDNS webpage will load, but it will show the old, and incorrect, settings because they're still stored in NVRAM, even though they weren't just used to get the inadyn process running. Most importantly, though, your "Apply", etc., buttons will be there! Replace the old, incorrect settings with the new, correct settings, and apply them. (This fixes them in NVRAM.)

If this doesn't work, check for typos, and repeat the process.

Good luck!

Bill
GLInick
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 22:16    Post subject: how to make custom ddns config work with changeip.com Reply with quote
To anyone who might be trying to confic ddns for changeip, supply all the values on this table and it should work.

https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Dynamic_DNS#CHANGEIP.COM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: