Best AC1900 Router?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
darkguy2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 23:18    Post subject: Best AC1900 Router? Reply with quote
I am wondering if there is a good AC1900 router out there. My current one is an Archer C7 and I hate it. The wireless speed is terrible (90Mbps sitting right next to it) and I am having problems where the wired LAN drops out while the WLAN is fine. During this period you cannot access the router interface. This seems to be happening more often lately.

When I go look at reviews for other routers it seems all of them seem to have problems where the wireless will drop out every so often and require a reboot. Does anyone know of a good, reliable one? It does not even have to be a 1900 if I can just take advantage of my 300Mbps connection. A good release of DD-WRT for it is a plus as well.
Sponsor
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
The bottleneck is the router's processing power which limits the Internet throughput. Unless you are willing to spend a premium for a more powerful router with 1G+ dual core processor, you should use the stock firmware instead of dd-wrt.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
or build one if u want massive wan throughput (lets just say gigabit) with open source fw (any of them). but for 300mbps wan some should get there or near there now, but most would be broadcom sadly especially if broadcom problems affect/would affect u or u dont like anything about them. but qualcomm atheros has the massive ipq806x based r7500 which is in process of being supported, & thats among the best right now for cpu power (as a 1 piece embedded unit)

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Netgear R7000 or ASUS RT-AC68U.
mwbuss8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
A while back I picked up an MSI Windbox on eBay and added an atheros n600 WiFi card with 2 dual band antennas all for ~$140. I went with it because of dual gigabit Ethernet and the dual core hyperthreaded 1.8ghz processor. Unfortunately, it was needed for another project within my family's company, but as a router/openvpn server it would've been incredible. Its also fanless, easy on power, and similar in size to many WiFi routers.
darkguy2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Never thought about making my own router. I don't really have the time right now, but the next time I want to upgrade I will give that a serious look. Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up getting the RT-AC87U while it was on sale for $150 after rebate.
jsebean
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I bought a WRT1900AC the other day and love it. DD-WRT is running on it perfectly minus one bug where the USB doesn't work at this time Smile

Just wondering though on your current router... you do know throughput is affected by the channel width you select on the wireless config page?
filipeviola
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
i would take the asus one from the experience i have
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
darkguy2 wrote:
Never thought about making my own router. I don't really have the time right now, but the next time I want to upgrade I will give that a serious look. Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up getting the RT-AC87U while it was on sale for $150 after rebate.

Might want to return it. I'm not sure dd-wrt supports the 5ghz radio as it is a Quantenna chipset.
If you go to smallnetbuilder forum you'll see most every one who bought one has trouble and they regret buying it.
Asus has given up on the hardware, that's why they are so cheap.

Read this http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287534&sid=30f717ab67ee1885f8e08a906b34f114

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 0:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
darkguy2 wrote:

even a cheap intel core i3 or amd quad core with low tdp at like 2ghz or something, 1-4gb ram, cheapest smallest ssd or even a usb stick, mini itx, micro atx (even extended atx if u wanted lol), 1 or 2 wifi cards, unmanaged switch. it will crush everything cause desktop cpus =/= router cpus even at the same speed, different architectures CISC, caches, more cores, higher freqs etc, will allow one like this to get gigabit even with software mode nat fairly easily.

jsebean wrote:
Just wondering though on your current router... you do know throughput is affected by the channel width you select on the wireless config page?

thats one of the biggest factors of throughput, on any router, any firmware. as long as the connecting client device supports the wider channel width (mostly for 2.4ghz, as basically all support ht/vht in 5ghz).

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

darkguy2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 21:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does anyone have a example part list for one? From what I have seen it will still cost me around $300 to build one from scratch. Especially since I will need two outgoing wired connections.
jsebean
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
darkguy2 wrote:
Does anyone have a example part list for one? From what I have seen it will still cost me around $300 to build one from scratch. Especially since I will need two outgoing wired connections.

Intel NICS. It doesn't need to be an excessive i7 or something... a lower end processor will suffice. If you're building a router I'd take pfsense... and someday I'm tempted to buy one of those DUAL LAN mini PCs to try it out... although given they only have two NICS you'd need a separate ethernet switch.

OEM Satellite internet -- I'll likely get back to DD-WRT again when I get better internet
darkguy2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Would this be a good setup? I did not include the memory since I have an extra set of 2x4 GB lying around.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6WxqCJ
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
thats fine but for the wifi cards, from what i know only qualcomm atheros is supported with x86/64 builds. i havent seen any modern info on if thats still the case so make sure the radios used in those cards are qualcomm atheros, or ask brainslayer before buying it

BrainSlayer wrote:

▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼

darkguy2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looks like the TP-Link and the ASUS AC1900 card use the Broadcom BCM4360 chipset. Is there a card I can use that will give me the speeds I want?
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: