How to unbrick Belkin F5D8235-4 v2 (N+) router

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
wtlai
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:42    Post subject: How to unbrick Belkin F5D8235-4 v2 (N+) router Reply with quote
My Belkin F5D8235-4 v2 (N+)router was bricked after flashed a newly dd-wrt. Tried 30/30/30 but cannot reset, and failed to connect by wired cable by tftp connection as no IP address assign. Do someone know how to unbrick it. Thanks.
Sponsor
thomas01155
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you tried turning it off, then back on while holding down the WPS button, I think its the blue one. Do that for 10 seconds or so and see if you are able to get to the mini server thing via 192.168.2.1 That would allow you to upload the original firmware it may take up to 300 seconds, be patient. Not sure if you need to reset the NVRAM.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Reading is the key to knowledge..
There is a thread in this section of the forum, still on page one, that will give you the answer.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just tried Thomas's suggestion (hold WPS button when power ON), but still not working.
Hope anyone had experience to recover my router. Thanks.
irosaurus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
try this link and use the search function the next time, as LOM suggested Wink

cheers iro
wtlai
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Irosaurus. Already searched the link that:-

Do I need a "CA-42 cable" to unbrick my BELKIN router (since it is bricked after firmware upgrade)?
Now, my router cannot assign IP address to computer, so I cannot connect it by tftp software.
Already tried 30/30/30 method, but still the same.

Do anyone have suggestions? Thanks.
wkweksl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Same fate with my f5d8235v2. It was running fine on dd-wrt 16785 for a couple of months. Then recently the wireless started to act up. Tried the 30/30/30 reset which subsequently bricked it. Think it's now useable only as a switch.
scoobynut
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:30    Post subject: same problem for me too Reply with quote
I was very happy to see a DDWRT firmware and thought I would give it a go. I tried the 17201 and found it kept restarting the router every few minutes Not ideal, so I went with build 16785.

After that the router is not contactable - I cannot connect with either CAT5 or wireless, and it contantly says network connected / diconnected on XP or Win 7 for the network cable.

I've tried the methods here, all TFTP methods (in Win 7 and Win XP) - which to be honest seemed a little vague (lots of settings in the TFTP software which may be the problem for me).

So now I'm stuck - is there any way to force a stock firmware back on using the USB built in to the router?

No response on 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.1.1.
Any help gratefully received.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
The bootloader has the ip address 10.10.10.123 and it expects a tftp file transfer from a computer with ip 10.10.10.3

Download the tftp client here:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/tornado/Windows-TFTP/tftp2.exe
scoobynut
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 13:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
The bootloader has the ip address 10.10.10.123 and it expects a tftp file transfer from a computer with ip 10.10.10.3

thanks LOM, I tried those IP's and it wouldn't work but I'll grab that tftp client and try again.
Should the file have the .bin extention or none?

Actually Belkin have agreed to RMA it - I wonder if they will look at it and charge me, or just send out a new unit (I'll be leaving that with stock firmware if that is the case!).
scoobynut
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
scoobynut wrote:
LOM wrote:

thanks LOM, I tried those IP's and it wouldn't work but I'll grab that tftp client and try again.
Should the file have the .bin extention or none?

Actually Belkin have agreed to RMA it - I wonder if they will look at it and charge me, or just send out a new unit (I'll be leaving that with stock firmware if that is the case!).

that TFTP is a much better (easier!) utility - however I still get the same issue- the network adaptor disconnects ever 2 seconds ("A network cable is unplugged").

Really frustrating as I thought I was getting somewhere...
wkweksl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:

Thanks LOM but no response from the router. Anything else to try other than serial cable?
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
wkweksl wrote:
LOM wrote:

Thanks LOM but no response from the router. Anything else to try other than serial cable?

You could try to setup a real tftp server on your computer, tftpd32 by P.Jounin (google it), using the same ip addresses as I listed before.

tftpd32 can listen for a file request from the router and you will see the routers connection attempts (if there are any)in tftpd32's log window. The window will then also show you the filename being requested (example firmware.bin, uimage.bin) so that you can rename the firmware file to what the router expect to get.

You can also use tftpd32 in the same way as tftp2, to push a file onto the router, it may be that the boot loaders tftp routines can't detect a connection to tftp2 but is more happy with tftpd32.

Make sure any windows firewalls or antivirus progs are disabled and use a WinXP or Linux computer, Win7 takes so long time to detect that the ethernet link is up so you will have missed the short tftp windows of 1 second before the router tries to boot from flash.
wkweksl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
You could try to setup a real tftp server on your computer, tftpd32 by P.Jounin (google it), using the same ip addresses as I listed before.

tftpd32 can listen for a file request from the router and you will see the routers connection attempts (if there are any)in tftpd32's log window. The window will then also show you the filename being requested (example firmware.bin, uimage.bin) so that you can rename the firmware file to what the router expect to get.

You can also use tftpd32 in the same way as tftp2, to push a file onto the router, it may be that the boot loaders tftp routines can't detect a connection to tftp2 but is more happy with tftpd32.

Make sure any windows firewalls or antivirus progs are disabled and use a WinXP or Linux computer, Win7 takes so long time to detect that the ethernet link is up so you will have missed the short tftp windows of 1 second before the router tries to boot from flash.

No luck. Tried 10.10.10.3, 192.168.2.x, 192.168.1.x. Nothing on the log viewer. Anyhow appreciate the help LOM! Thanks.
jons
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you set the network interface of the computer to static ip and use an ip on the same subnet and netmask as those you tested?

I may have skipped it, but I did not read that you did this.

If you have the network with DHCP or static with an ip on a different subnet, then the bootloader will never find your ip.

LOM can correct me but I'm 99% sure this is the case.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: