Router Wars

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
zardiw
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 1:48    Post subject: Router Wars Reply with quote
Hey all...Hooked a 54GSv6 w/microv23sp2's WAN port to the LAN port of t DI624 to create a separate LAN that is shielded from the DI624's LAN that's connected to the Web.

Now, when the Internet Connection Type on the 54GS is set to Auto Config, the two talk it out amongst themselves, and the DI624 gives the 54GS an IP address and everything is groovy.

BUT, If I set the Internet Connection Type to Static IP, and give it an IP (basically I just leave what was set in the DHCP session earlier)..........WAR. Now they don't want to talk to each other.......lol.....weird...........z

Last edited by zardiw on Sun May 13, 2007 16:51; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
zardiw
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 16:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anybody got a clue as to why this is happening?.......Thx, z

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am doing the same thing, and it works as it should. Why is it not working for you? No clue.
Well, it could be that the DHCP server on the DI hands out the same IP to another device, since the WRT is no longer asking for an IP... So, have a look at the DI's DHCP tables, and see if there is another device that has the IP of your DDWRT.

In my case I am actually giving the DDWRT an IP outside the scope of the DHCP server on the DI, and, as I said, all is well.
v4npro
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
The second router for static IP try putting:

Internet IP: 10.7.0.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (or w/e your first router is)

have STP disabled.

then reboot the first router again and try now and see if you get internet.

make sure first router is set as Gateway and the second set as Route(under Advanced Routing).
im_electronic
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
m ake sure your inputting DNS servers int eh socond one as well and it's not gettig them via DHCP anymore.
campigenus
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
v4npro wrote:

have STP disabled.

make sure first router is set as Gateway and the second set as Route(under Advanced Routing).

Assuming this is info for the WAN interface of the second router, you will need to make sure that the IP and gateway are on the same network. So, assuming your first network is on 192.168.1.0/24 you need the following for your second router's WAN:

Internet IP: 192.168.1.x - where x is a free IP outside the scope of the DHCP server on the first(gateway) router.
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
DNS: 192.168.1.1 (or w/e your local DNS is)

This has worked for me for a long time.

Anyway, I'd just put the MAC address of the second router in the static tables of the gateway router and let the second router get its IP automatically. Less hassle.
zardiw
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
campigenus wrote:
I am doing the same thing, and it works as it should. Why is it not working for you? No clue.
Well, it could be that the DHCP server on the DI hands out the same IP to another device, since the WRT is no longer asking for an IP... So, have a look at the DI's DHCP tables, and see if there is another device that has the IP of your DDWRT.

In my case I am actually giving the DDWRT an IP outside the scope of the DHCP server on the DI, and, as I said, all is well.

Hmm..very strange. What I did was have it at DHCP, and the DI624 gave it an IP of xx.xx.xx.16, which was within it's DNSMasq.

Then I only changed the connection method to Static IP. When I did that the IP fields showed up on the screen, and were already filled in from what it had assigned via DHCP, and I just left them that way.

However after that they wouldn't talk to each other anymore........maybe I should have changed it to xx.xx.xx.17 or something.......will play with it some more........z

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
v4npro wrote:

have STP disabled.

I'll try it with STP disabled........Btw, I had a HELL of a time getting them to be friends......finally I just hit reset on the GS, and when it came up, they were talking.......lol.......That's when I started messing with their heads again.....lol.......z

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
im_electronic wrote:
m ake sure your inputting DNS servers int eh socond one as well and it's not gettig them via DHCP anymore.

I'll play with that as well......setting a static DHCP/IP in the DI624.....that's what I have to do with my W2K machine, cause it won't talk to the DI624 unless I make the W2K machine a Static DHCP Client.....weird weird weird............z

Last edited by zardiw on Mon May 14, 2007 4:30; edited 1 time in total
zardiw
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I will also try an IP outside the DHCP assignment range and see how that works ....will keep you all posted.........z

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 0:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, I guess Static IP works. Was able to assign the second router an IP that was both IN and OUT of the Dynamic IP range.

But the key was setting a static DHCP entry in the first router (DI-624), with the MAC address of the second router..........then it worked....

So I guess the 'war' is over.......lol.....................z

Navigation

Jump to: