DD-wrt on a pocket 3g router, but some issues with WAN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
RufusLewis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:10    Post subject: Re: DD-wrt on a pocket 3g router, but some issues with WAN Reply with quote
ddwrtusr wrote:
I have been wondering if running dd-wrt in a pocket would be feasible. I bought the TP-Link MR3040 Atheros based router. I had been searching the web to figure out if DD-wrt could run on this router.With bits and pieces of information around, I got to understand that MR3040 Model is a Battery-powered version of the MR3020. I did little comparison study between these 2 models MR3020 vs. MR3040 and arrived that they are almost identical and the differences being the led lights arrangement is different and the latter being battery powered.
I got dd-wrt successfully running on this router with flashing the dd-wrt firmware for MR3020 on MR3040. (But strange that the site doesn't display MR3040 as a supported device, and no firmware for it, but there is a webrevert file for it.)
Below were my observations -
1) normal Wifi operation (but wifi led will not glow due to differences in the arrangement of the LEDs)
2) 3G connectivity works with most of the modems and it is fantastic
3) 64K Nvram free - hence able to do nvram commits without issues or sudden reset.

Only one issue so far - But would be thankful, if any of you could please help. I tried with most of the CDMA / EVDO modems, they are recognised by the router and i get a valid WAN IP Address. I can access the internet for the first 10 secs with google search / Google news. THen no connectivity at all.
But this is not the WAN behaviour with my ASUS RT-N16 on OTRW2. it only happens on the tp-link mr3040
Could any of you please help to get this CDMA / EVDO working on the MR3040. The rest of the dd-wrt functionality is perfect!
I would like to emphasize on the point that dd-wrt runs perfect on this mr3040 except with the above mentioned issue. Thanks in advance for your help on this. Could you please provide a specific firmware for this device. It's mostly identical to MR3020.

Hello friend were you able to sort out the issue? I am facing similar problem so can you help me out?Waiting for reply thanks in advance:)

Last edited by RufusLewis on Wed Sep 11, 2013 15:36; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
mha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Btw; have you seen:

http://dx.com/p/v-a8-portable-4000mah-power-bank-3g-wi-fi-wireless-router-repeater-white-234430

Looks exactly like the MR3040. Smile But cheaper.

Wonder if it is the same hw inside?

Anyone wanna try?
mha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm gonna plug in my E3276 soon. Can I expect to compile my own module for it, or is it shipped even with the compact DD-WRT dist?
mha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Works like a charm. Smile Boots. Connects. And just works. This is kinda awesome.
aberson
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 15:24    Post subject: working on MR3040 v2.1? Reply with quote
Hi
I have an mr3040 v2.1 with OpenWrt on it. I'm not satisfied with OpenWrt's support for 3G modems, so was considering trying out dd-wrt before flashing back to factory firmware.

Has anyone tested dd-wrt on v2.1 of this router? If I have a failure, will I be still be able to recover using serial?

Also, I see there is a later build (-r22118) than the one mentioned in this thread (-r21676)... would I use that?

Finally, once I have dd-wrt, am I able to get back to factory stock firmware without serial console? I only see a webrevert file for mr3040 v1. Looks like using "mtd" and writing the .bin to the linux partition is a valid way to go?

Thanks!
Adam
mha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 15:30    Post subject: Re: working on MR3040 v2.1? Reply with quote
aberson wrote:
Hi
I have an mr3040 v2.1 with OpenWrt on it. I'm not satisfied with OpenWrt's support for 3G modems, so was considering trying out dd-wrt before flashing back to factory firmware.

Has anyone tested dd-wrt on v2.1 of this router? If I have a failure, will I be still be able to recover using serial?

Also, I see there is a later build (-r22118) than the one mentioned in this thread (-r21676)... would I use that?

Finally, once I have dd-wrt, am I able to get back to factory stock firmware without serial console? I only see a webrevert file for mr3040 v1. Looks like using "mtd" and writing the .bin to the linux partition is a valid way to go?

Thanks!
Adam

Hi!

Use the rOOter project.

http://ofmodemsandmen.com/supported.html

It has awesome support for 4G connectivity. I use it with the MR3040.

/Mikael
aberson
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 15:40    Post subject: Re: working on MR3040 v2.1? Reply with quote
mha wrote:
Use the rOOter project.

http://ofmodemsandmen.com/supported.html

It has awesome support for 4G connectivity. I use it with the MR3040.

Interesting, thanks for the pointer. The list of supported modems there is fairly short (20-25). Doesn't DD-WRT support more than that natively? (Though maybe not at 4G speed)
mha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 15:51    Post subject: Re: working on MR3040 v2.1? Reply with quote
aberson wrote:

Interesting, thanks for the pointer. The list of supported modems there is fairly short (20-25). Doesn't DD-WRT support more than that natively? (Though maybe not at 4G speed)

Not in the 4MB version. Sad
zaroad
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, any update of this? I don't have the serial tool so I don't want to brick it.
NathanBasanese
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:25    Post subject: // , VPN Reply with quote
// , I understand that these do not have the strength to run OpenVPN.*

Still, can the firmware gui for this let me set, and use, the little TL-MR3040 guy to act as any kind of VPN client?

*http://dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=162427
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: