wrt600n successful but...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next
jp525
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
gregoliver wrote:
I have tried like eduncan several flavors, but my issue is quite different and I have yet to find a version that operates properly.

On my 2.4 band, I have to have wpa-personal/tkip.. Obviously I have a bridge in the loop that only talks that or WEP..

11n needs WPA2/AES by standards.. Setting those two like they should be NEVER allows me to connect to the 5.2 band with WPA2/AES.. Simply setting the 2.4 band to WPA2/AES or WPA2/TKIP+AES instantly fixes it, but breaks the old D-Link bridge that only supports WPA/TKIP....

I *believe* I have tried all possible combinations with no joy.

Anyone ever run into something similar that has a workaround?

Thanks,

Greg

I have a similar setup with a linksys 54g running dd-wrt (which is the bridged router). I have set up the 600n with a virtual interface with a different security and the bridge is working fine as are the other interfaces. You might give that a try.
Sponsor
gregoliver
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
jp525 wrote:

I have a similar setup with a linksys 54g running dd-wrt (which is the bridged router). I have set up the 600n with a virtual interface with a different security and the bridge is working fine as are the other interfaces. You might give that a try.

I did some extensive testing last night after the house went to sleep, and it appears to indeed be Linux issue with the iwlagn and mac80211 modules for the intel 5300AGN card I have.. As much as I hated to do it, I booted one of my machines into Windows and used the simplest config I could think of on the 600n and it connected.. Booted back into Linux and it would connect, but I could pass no traffic...

I've tried everything I could think of to get the linux driver going including the compat-wireless package from lnux-wireless.org.. The mac80211 module is not getting the "TX Rate Info" packets when the router is running dd-wrt, but with stock linksys firmware it is for some reason.. That module passes it to the iwlagn module..

I emailed the Linux kernel wireless list, but I really do not expect them to help me since the 600n works with stock firmware... I guess I am going to have to do some raw 80211 packet sniffing and spend days going through them!! :(

Thanks
jp525
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
gregoliver wrote:
jp525 wrote:

I did some extensive testing last night after the house went to sleep, and it appears to indeed be Linux issue with the iwlagn and mac80211 modules for the intel 5300AGN card I have.. As much as I hated to do it, I booted one of my machines into Windows and used the simplest config I could think of on the 600n and it connected.. Booted back into Linux and it would connect, but I could pass no traffic...

Ah, didn't realize it was a linux box. I've certainly had my share of issues with wifi in linux. I don't know anything about that particular card or what distro you are running, but I found a somewhat lengthy thread dealing with the issue.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=903240

A quick look suggests mixed results but there were some possible solutions to try.

The other thing you might want to check out is the d-link. I have not had good luck with my d-link and went back to my older linksys that works fine as a bridge (I use it to connect my desktop running Ubuntu to my wifi network since the desktop doesn't have wifi and I'm too cheap and lazy to try and find a wifi adapter that works well in linux Smile).
gregoliver
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
jp525 wrote:

Ah, didn't realize it was a linux box. I've certainly had my share of issues with wifi in linux. I don't know anything about that particular card or what distro you are running, but I found a somewhat lengthy thread dealing with the issue.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=903240

A quick look suggests mixed results but there were some possible solutions to try.

The other thing you might want to check out is the d-link. I have not had good luck with my d-link and went back to my older linksys that works fine as a bridge (I use it to connect my desktop running Ubuntu to my wifi network since the desktop doesn't have wifi and I'm too cheap and lazy to try and find a wifi adapter that works well in linux Smile).

Yeah, I could buy another cheap linksys I guess and get rid of the d-link, but I can just stay on the linksys firmware right now until my laptop wifi card gets better drivers - like I said, it works with the linksys firmware just fine, but not the dd-wrt stuff..??

I am sure I will keep poking around since I enjoy this stuff thoguh Smile

Thanks
gregoliver
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is FINALLY a patch in 2.6.31-rc4 for mac80211 that allows my 5300 to work properly under linux..

I now have svn12548 running smooth (without stress), and I will push forward..

If anyone has the same mix of components (5200 and 4945 included) running under Linux, let me know and I will let you know how I got them to "behave".

Thanks,

Greg
malmo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Flappjakk wrote:
So I took the plunge and installed DD-WRT on my WRT600N. Thanks to smajor and all the rest for the help and advice given thus far.

The version I flashed is:
"DD-WRT v24-sp2 (06/13/09) mega - build 12288"
as that seemed to be the newest one available. I flashed directly from the Linksys WebGUI and it worked with no problems. 30/30/30 before and after the flash and I now have it running with no problems that I have noticed so far.

One feature that the Linksys firmware had that I can't seem to find in the DD-WRT WebGUI is static DHCP. I think the Linksys firmware refers to it as DHCP reservation. I'd like to configure the router to always assign the same DHCP IP Address to a specific MAC address. It's way easier to configure this at one device, the router, than to go to each client device and setup their IP address statically. Hopefully it's there and I'm just not seeing it. Does anyone know if this feature is present in DD-WRT and if so where in the WebGUI I can find it? If this feature isn't present in DD-WRT does anyone know of some equivalent way of doing this?

the settings are in "Services" (setup dhcp) with milkfish and other futures, and not under setup or wireless.
I tested, it works....

Motorola WR850G v2 BS build 14289 mini
gregoliver
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Simple question.. Why is there no N-Only option for the 5GHz radio.. It took me hours to get N speeds from it since A was enabled (even on 40GHz fat channel selection)... A also cripples N speeds when there are A clients associated.. Just like B does to G.. MIMO is completely hindered in this situation..

Anything I can do to help.. I am purely linux in the household, so it definitely plays a role, but there are workarounds.

But then again I must say THANKS - after hours, I finally get 200mbps + connections with MCS.. The proper channel selection is the key to it... Auto always locks in at A, whereas I found only 6 channels that would lock in N speeds.. Nooone else in the neighborhood has N, so It's ok with me.. Simple N-Only would be a godsend though!

-Greg
ak4d7
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:01    Post subject: N-Only on 600N Like on 610n? Reply with quote
I am also wondering why there is not a N-Only option for the 600n. I am using a 610n right now which is also dual band and the second radio does have an N-Only option not like the 600n. I am interested in this because i am soon recieving my 600n from linksys and returning the 610n and my network is currently functioning with the 5ghz radio on N-Only is this not possible with the 600n?
gregoliver
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:26    Post subject: Re: N-Only on 600N Like on 610n? Reply with quote
ak4d7 wrote:
I am also wondering why there is not a N-Only option for the 600n. I am using a 610n right now which is also dual band and the second radio does have an N-Only option not like the 600n. I am interested in this because i am soon recieving my 600n from linksys and returning the 610n and my network is currently functioning with the 5ghz radio on N-Only is this not possible with the 600n?

Just to make it easier on you, there are only 2 fat channels I coul dget to negotiate at N MCS.. (Keep in mind I am running Linux) - the windows driver for the Intel 5300 seems to do OK.. For Linux, the 5.240 and 5.280 (40Mhz, lower) were all I could get to negotiate at N).. All other tried would result in 54Mbit, no MCS A speeds. ROck solid A speeds though :)

Currently, I get better speed than with the stock linksys firmware (thanks EKO and Brainslayer) and of course the linux-wireless team...

-Greg

Last edited by gregoliver on Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:56; edited 1 time in total
greekstile
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
NA-Only is N only on the 5GHz radio. It's supposed to mean "N only on the A band radio". I know it's confusing, but Eko explained why in a post some time ago. Do a search if you are so inclined.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
greekstile wrote:
NA-Only is N only on the 5GHz radio. It's supposed to mean "N only on the A band radio". I know it's confusing, but Eko explained why in a post some time ago. Do a search if you are so inclined.

Hmmmm, real world testing seems to prove otherwise... top-speed A (54mbs) Was all I could get even with fat channels configured... Until I used the 2 channels I posted.. This is all of course with the linux iwlagn driver. It all works as expected with windows...

-Greg
gregoliver
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
It took a lot of layer 2 packet capturing on both the stock linksys firmware and dd-wrt's to finally nail it down...

All I can say is that the iwlagn driver for linux should be much improved over the next few weeks.. Intel only has 2 developers working on it, and they are still focused on the 4945 if you can believe that!
liquidice
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does anyone have any settings that they adjust to get 270Mbps or 300Mbps via the 5Ghz radio?

I have a WRT600N v1.1 that was previously running the Linksys firmware and I just recently flashed to DD-WRT (BS 12759 Mega 8/31/09 version) -- doing the normal 30/30/30 and everything. Before I flashed it I was getting a 300Mbps 40Mhz connection to my MacBook Pro which has the Airport Extreme Wifi card. I could get 300Mbps with no issues. I only switched because my router (Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 with DD-WRT) decided to die, and so I started using my WRT600N as a router instead of just an access point and I want it to be more stable.

Under DD-WRT, I always seem to get a 150Mbps connection almost as if it is not connecting on the second channel.

I have the 5Ghz radio set for Wireless Network Mode: NA-only, Wireless Channel set to "Auto", Channel Width set to "40 Mhz", Wide Channel set to "upper". Under WL1-Advanced Sett. I also have the MIMO - Transmission Fixed Rate set to "15 - 270Mbps" but this was also set to "Auto" and it did not help.

Currently it says I am using channels 52 and 54.

Everything else is set to the default -- is there something I need to do to get the 270Mbps or 300Mbps working? Maybe play with the channels I am using?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated!
veritas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
liquidice wrote:
Does anyone have any settings that they adjust to get 270Mbps or 300Mbps via the 5Ghz radio?

I have a WRT600N v1.1 that was previously running the Linksys firmware and I just recently flashed to DD-WRT (BS 12759 Mega 8/31/09 version) -- doing the normal 30/30/30 and everything. Before I flashed it I was getting a 300Mbps 40Mhz connection to my MacBook Pro which has the Airport Extreme Wifi card. I could get 300Mbps with no issues. I only switched because my router (Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 with DD-WRT) decided to die, and so I started using my WRT600N as a router instead of just an access point and I want it to be more stable.

Under DD-WRT, I always seem to get a 150Mbps connection almost as if it is not connecting on the second channel.

I have the 5Ghz radio set for Wireless Network Mode: NA-only, Wireless Channel set to "Auto", Channel Width set to "40 Mhz", Wide Channel set to "upper". Under WL1-Advanced Sett. I also have the MIMO - Transmission Fixed Rate set to "15 - 270Mbps" but this was also set to "Auto" and it did not help.

Currently it says I am using channels 52 and 54.

Everything else is set to the default -- is there something I need to do to get the 270Mbps or 300Mbps working? Maybe play with the channels I am using?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated!

what security settings are you using? AES? TKIP? change it to AES only, and Auto/Auto for the band information. I have mine working flawlessly using SVN revision 12548M NEWD Eko.

On an entirely unrelated note, has anyone been successful at getting the openVPN daemon to work? I would REALLY like to set up a working VPN server for my brother to connect to, but have had so many problems, I have given up for the time being.
zikronix
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
you are not alone...I am having the same phantom N problem on the 5 ghz radio. they tell me im crazy...I tell them it used to work fine.

But it cleary doesnt....I am under the impression like others its running at A only
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 63 of 67
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: