Linksys WRT54G v8.1 - supported?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
ns2397
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
FYI.
For p2p downloading

change maximum ip ports from default512 to 4096.
Sponsor
toesonnose
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am just now trying to Flash the WRT54g 8.1 with the 9330 build seems like I can't get a stable home page to upgrade to latest firmware. Must be a hardware prob. any suggestions
P.S. I have upgraded My netgear wnr834bv2 just great and i want the same performance from this linksys.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
toesonnose wrote:
I am just now trying to Flash the WRT54g 8.1 with the 9330 build seems like I can't get a stable home page to upgrade to latest firmware. Must be a hardware prob. any suggestions
P.S. I have upgraded My netgear wnr834bv2 just great and i want the same performance from this linksys.

Read (and bump, please.)

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=39529

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
toesonnose
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Whoa!!! that was crazy,

So I definitely bricked the a fore mentioned Linksys!,I tried to upgrade from the 9330 build to the dd-wrt.v24-9856_NEWD_mini.bin. with out doing a hard reset.
So i must say after the Netgear job went down with no hassle I was way too cavalier about this one, I was having problems getting the upgrade to NOT fail, I read more on the forum and wiki and came across this 30/30/30 hard reset. instant BRICK!!! no power led at all, not even a blinking one! I was pingable but after using windows cmd to tftp the 9330 build back in, I became unpingable, I tried every unbrick procedure I read in dd-wrt literature. I had no IP for the poor little guy, and I wasn't going to find one! I was almost to the point of taking the cover off.

It's my bosses router, He owns a computer shop, I am one of his techs. so I would have hated going back to him with my first fried piece of work!

then I came across this guy's site http://www.solutionswatch.com/2006/01/13/unbricking-your-linksys-wrt54g/ I did the steps in a cmd prompt, ping after ping of nada pushing the button for 20 seconds unplug> reboot > 5 seconds. I did the procedure three times! still nada, I stopped and sat in my chair just as frustrated as ever.

Then for some reason I looked at my details applet for the 10/100/1000 NIC.
To my surprise I saw I had received 480 packets! what, from where, the dead router?

ipconfig confirmed it I had a connection. I pinged 192.168.1.1 to make sure.I then used the Linksys tftp upgrade utility I DL from their site to reflash the original FW back in.

I then proceeded to reinstall the 9330 FW from this thread with all the success in the world.

So the constant ping with the reset procedure worked to Unbrick this router, I just wanted to share this story with someone who needs it.

-toes
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
toesonnose wrote:
Whoa!!! that was crazy,

So I definitely bricked the a fore mentioned Linksys!,I tried to upgrade from the 9330 build to the dd-wrt.v24-9856_NEWD_mini.bin. with out doing a hard reset.

Probably had more to do with putting the mini on, which is TOO big for 2mb of flash, then the hard reset issue. Should have used micro on a v.8.1

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's silly how many people do not read the Read Me First! section linked to by the installation instructions...supported devices.

If people weren't in such a rush we would see far less bricked routers around here.
toesonnose
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
Should have used micro on a v.8.1

I am sure I made a few mistakes, After the success of the Netgear I was just too confident.
Uter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
This may be the wrong thread, but could someone tell me what the black thing is on the end of the gray wires that come in from the antenna and are soldered to the board (the ones that look like they have heat shrink tubing over a capacitor)? Are these needed?

My nephew's dog tore up one of his WRT54G v8 routers and one of the antenna wires came off, but the end of it with the black heat shrink part is missing. The part I'm referring to is circled in the pic attached. I just need to know if it's okay to solder this to the board without that.

Image1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  75.27 KB
 Viewed:  25217 Time(s)

Image1.jpg

Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
yes, it's ok.
Shawn360
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 23:13    Post subject: Linksys WRT54G v8.1 where exactly on the back is the jtag? Reply with quote
Linksys WRT54G v8.1 where exactly on the back is the jtag?

Front

Back where is the jtag?
kernel_panic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:30    Post subject: Linksys WRT54G v8.1 - supported? Reply with quote
I've had nothing but bad experiences with DD-WRT and version 8.1 of the wrt54g. Its caused more headaches than any of the increased functionality were worth.

At the time, the site listed version 8.1 as DD-WRT compatible and I made the mistake of assuming that it was well tested and well documented. No, it was not. I am now very hesitant of ever using DD-WRT firmware again. Had I read this forum prior to installing, maybe I would have never installed it to begin with; but as luck would have it I did not.

While the modem isn't bricked, it is unreliable.

For those with version 8.1; beware!
edu_web
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi all,

I need some help with WRT54G v8.1

I did the following to upgrade my router:

1 - Hard Reset 30/30/30
2 - Powered Off and Powered on again after 5 minutes.
3 - Sent dd-wrt.v24-9330_micro_wrt54gv81.bin by TFTP and waited 10 mins. (Upgrade was sucessfull)
4 - Did a new Hard Reset 30/30/30
5 - Powered Off and waited 5 min.
6 - Powered On and waited 5 min.
7 - Tried upgrade by WEB GUI from IE9 and Firefox 15 and TFTP):
dd-wrt.v24-9330_micro.bin (Got Upgrade Failed.)
dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin (Got Upgrade Failed.)

I read many topic on this forum and DD-WRT Wiki but none worked.

I´m using only dd-wrt.v24-9330_micro_wrt54gv81.bin and it apparently is working fine, but I wonder why I can not upgrade to newer versions.

I did anything wrong?

I hope someone can help me with this.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Display posts from previous:    Page 7 of 7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: