[Closed] Netgear WNDR4500v1 USB cellular modem as WAN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
AKPrashant
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 15:59    Post subject: [Closed] Netgear WNDR4500v1 USB cellular modem as WAN Reply with quote
Background: I have recently moved to a place, where internet can be accessed only via cellular/mobile broadband. I already have a Wi-Fi router Netgear WNDR4500v1, but the stock firmware doesn't support USB cellular modem as WAN connection. So to save money I choose to change it's firmware to dd-wrt instead of purchasing a Mobile Wi-Fi or a router that supports USB cellular modem. The flashing procedure was followed in spirit and no other build versions was used. Caveat: Found Peacock thread's Note 3 to be irrelevant and Note 4 wasn't fully understood.

HW details:
Wi-Fi Router Model: Netgear WNDR4500v1
DD-WRT version: v24-sp2 (10/06/14) kongac (SVN revision 25015M-SP1)
Android Cellular Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (GT-I9100) running CyanogenMod 12.1
USB cellular modem: Huawei E1731, vid:pid 12d1:1446 is supported by dd-wrt

Need following Clarifications and information:

1. The wiki mentions that dd-wrt for this particular HW is supported from build# 21606 and instructs to initially flash newer build# 26138 mega and then recommends to flash an older build Kong 25015-SP1! Was it intentional to flash an older build ?

2. Wasn't successful in establishing WAN connection via neither IPhone tethering nor Mobile Broadband. The following web-GUI settings was followed for each.

IPhone tethering:
    Setup > Basic Setup> WAN Setup> Connection Type: Iphone Tethering

Mobile Broadband: airtel 3G UMTS as service provider in India
    Setup > Basic Setup> WAN Setup> Connection Type: Mobile Broadband
    Username: <blank>
    Password: <blank>
    Dial String: *99#
    APN: airtelgprs.com
    PIN: <blank>
    Connection type: Prefer 3G
    Force Reconnect: Disable

In both cases connection wasn't established as evident from Status> WAN> Configuration Type> Login Status: "Disconnected". Clicking "Connect" in both the cases wasn't helpful either.

Does this implicitly mean android mobile phone tethering isn't supported? If so, is there a plan to support Android phone ?

3. Need help in finding a stable version (need not be latest) of dd-wrt for which USB cellular (2G/3G/4G dongles) Modem works? Please also share the link to the particular build thread.

Last edited by AKPrashant on Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:12; edited 2 times in total
Sponsor
AKPrashant
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:52    Post subject: Re: Netgear WNDR4500v1 USB cellular modem as WAN connection Reply with quote
After reading about 3G & 4G Broadband Modems broken in r25948 and later, upgraded to 25760 and was able to access internet via USB cellular modem using Mobile Broadband option in WAN Set-up Web-GUI. More over, this worked even when an USB extension cable (140cm) was used b/w router and USB modem for better cellular reception.

For the record:

1. According to the bug report as 25015 < 25760, I assumed that 25015 might also support USB cellular modem, but didn't.
  2. After checking that the Mobile Broadband works for 25760, I curiously upgraded to 26138M and surprisingly the mobile broadband worked, though it is later to r25948.
  3. According to the discussion in this post, the fix isn't being worked on. (that discussion is dated Jan 09, 2016)
jagster936
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm guessing this is still broken in most modern builds? I had to use recent build to get DDWRT on my 3200ACM linksys router. So I'm stuck right?
hackler756
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
if you're still on dd-wrt, it's worth a try.

confirmed working R7000 and Huawei E372 with r33679

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2017/11-04-2017-r33679/

later releases stopped working again - iptables issue
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: