Tutorial for DD-WRT on WRT54G Version 5 or 6

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:03    Post subject: Tutorial for DD-WRT on WRT54G Version 5 or 6 Reply with quote
thescorpion420 from linksysinfo.org wrote:

Tutorial for DD-WRT on WRT54G Version 5 or 6

Hello, I put what I think is a really easy to follow tutorial for putting DD-WRT on the Linksys WRT54G version 5 or 6 router. Pics and all, its rather visual. I dunno, check it out if your having problems.

Shawn

updated link: http://scorpiontek.org/portal/content/view/27/36/

Last edited by Eko on Mon Sep 11, 2006 14:44; edited 2 times in total
Sponsor
marko
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's same like thisone

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
It'd have been nice if he linked back to my wiki, but that's ok. Like with other ones, it's quite incomplete in comparison to the official site, but might aid those who are having troubles with one step or another.
TheScorpion420
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Homage Paid

Last edited by TheScorpion420 on Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:53; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
TheScorpion420 wrote:
Homage Paid

I feel like an asshole for mentioning that. I get a little too worn out sometimes. I'll back-link to you if you don't mind, as your guide will be helpful to many I'm sure.
TheScorpion420
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lol, no problem. It completly slipped my mind, Embarassed I spent like 2 hours writing the one on how to flash the DD-wrt onto the linksys and when I was done, I was glad to be done with it. Brain fart. I also wrote another one on how to flash back to VXware. If you could check that one out and maybe give me some feedback that would be extremely nice, i put a back link to your wiki on that one as well, as I used your guide as a reference. Your not an asshole by any means, I am the asshole for not properly citing my sources as your guide was the one that I used, but i'm also not an average user and I thought that it might be a little hard to follow for someone not so adept at doing such things. Well, i think i've talked enough, later!

Shawn
fOZf8
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey, they were both helpful to me, thanks guys. The extra updated notes on the wiki guide helped alot too...I was having micro sp1 issues, and was almost ready to attempt the vx gudie reversion and take mine back to wal-mart with a big kick to the curb, but then noticed the Sp2 notes you made....all better now on my v6 wrt54g! Was still a little quirky to setup for me, but as it turns out, my external router just didnt want to let it through until it got to know it better ;)

anyway, thanks guys!
Seth7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Eko

Quoted from the last page in that link ...

http://thescorpion420.dyndns.org/article/wrt54g/wrt54g4.htm

"After doing this proceedure you can update to future versions of DD-WRT with the DD-WRT web gui, much the same way we uploaded the first file in the Linksys web gui"

Do you mean any of the ddwrtV23 SP1 (like the ddwrt for wrt54g V2(3.9meg i think)) or only the micro version?? that is under the 2Meg size of the wrt54g V5??
TheScorpion420
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Only the micro, sorry. The v5 and 6 only have enough memory to hold that version.

Shawn
Seth7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
TheScorpion420 wrote:
Only the micro, sorry. The v5 and 6 only have enough memory to hold that version.

Shawn

Is there a way to increase the memmory size.... by replacing the flash??
TheScorpion420
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not that I know of, you could purchase a WRT54GS or GL, or go on ebay and look for an older G, or an older GS, I believe the older GS's have something like 32megs of ram and 8 megs of flash, and the older G's have 16 and 4 respectively.

Check it out here
TheScorpion420
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yea, so I had some internet issues for the last week. I took care of it, and my website has returned!!

Shawn
marc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
TheScorpion420 wrote:

Shawn

Ugg...
that would've been nice to know about an hour ago. Can we please get that included in the official instructions on various websites? I now have to put this v6 back to linksys defaults and return it, then go hunting for a <=v4 and/or a GL. Putting my project even farther behind.

I used the instructions here, so thanks to whoever was the original author. They worked perfectly, DESPITE the flaw that I'm just now finding out.
TheScorpion420
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you flash it with a micro version or the mini? The mini will brick your router. The instructions on my page are basically the same, just a little expanded and more non technical friendly. Basically I wrote that tutorial in about the same way I would explain to my father how to do it. He is computer literate and can do quite a bit of stuff, but something like this he would need help with.

Shawn
marc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not bricked. I flashed per the instructions in the link above and it was fine, until I found this post saying that I can't use the VPN version of DD-WRT because of memory issues. What I'm saying is that it would've been nice to know that before I started this, and just bought the GL in the first place. Please update the instructions (if you haven't already) to include "YOU CAN NOT USE ANYTHING BUT MICRO VERSION WITH THE WRT54G v5 & v6". :)

Now I'm having problems flashing back to the original linksys firmware so I can return the thing.

Quote:
Automatic reversion (MAC address and serial # not restored)

For the WRT54G v5, v5.1, and v6 ONLY

1. Download [http://www.bitsum.com/files/vxworks_revert_v02.zip] and extract.
2. Download the latest Linksys firmware for your router from http://www.linksys.com.
3. In the DD-WRT Administration/Firmware? Upgrade tab, select and apply the openwrt-wrt54g_v4-squashfs.bin firmware you extracted in step 1.
4. DO NOT TOUCH YOUR ROUTER. DO NOT POWER DOWN YOUR ROUTER. IF YOU DO, YOU MAY/WILL BRICK YOUR ROUTER.
5. After a few minutes (have patience) your router will reboot itself and the VxWorks boot loader's Management Mode will be engaged. You can visit it at http://192.168.1.1. If the browser doesn't respond, WAIT LONGER. Do not power off your router.
6. In the Management Mode, select and apply the Linksys firmware you downloaded in step 2. DO NOT apply vxworks killer instead, even if you want to go back to linux again right away. You must first apply a Linksys firmware to re-initialize the flash before you can go back to linux.
7. Power cycle the router after you see 'Success'.

I get stuck after Step 5. I get the VXWorks modified boot loader. But it won't take the Linksys official firmware, as noted in the troubleshooting:

Quote:

Q: I got the management mode back (meaning VxWorks bootloader is restored), but it won't accept the Linksys firmware. What do I do?

* Some have reported this issue. I think it is due to the HTTP server crashing repeatedly, as its very unstable. Here are my recommendations (not step-by-step):
o Keep trying to upload/flash the linksys firmware without rebooting your router until it finally accepts it. If you catch the HTTP server at the right time, it may work. Others have reported this works.
o You might want to try uploading/flashing vxworks_prep_v03.bin, then reboot your router after it succceeds. The linksys firmware might now be accepted.

A WRT54GL is now being shipped overnight. Hopefully I can get this v6 WRT54G restored so I may return it.
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 16
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: