bricked dlink dir-330

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
chale
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 17:05    Post subject: bricked dlink dir-330 Reply with quote
I was running RC7 on the dir-330 ok. I saw that the final release came out for v24 so I tried to upgrade the firmware and now appears bricked.

I tried power cycling; holding the reset; and holding the reset while power cycling.

Occasionally I will get the emergency firmware splash page on a browser after many reboots however, when I try to upload the firmware [either dlink or dd-wrt], it hangs again.

The router is pingable at 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.2, but not both at the same time. When I reboot, I can get it to respond at one address [through terminal or browser] but not the other address.... I can not figure why it would go to 192.168.0.2 since the default is the 192.168.0.1. It seems to switch back and forth between the two addresses without consistency or any reason I can figure out. I have seen other posts on it but I don't quite understand what they are suggesting. This was also for versions prior to final v24.

Posted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:20 pm Post subject:
That DIR-330 finally got out of it comatose state when Tornado did this:

"Then [..] I decided to hold the reset button in while powering the unit on, and then hitting -erase:cfe /wiggler /noemw and it worked"

Can't say if that is a reproduceable fix, but you never know. Sounds like you're already trying that switch (assuming you don't need the /wiggler), but you could try holding the reset button.

Novice here so any help appreciated.
Sponsor
soti
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a similar problem.
CFE seems to be working cause when it boots i always get like 2-3 ping replies from 192.168.0.2.
However i tried tens of times to flash with tftp but it wont accept connections.(I used linux, even made a script that tries 10 times per second so pls dont say im doing it wrong :p)
then i used wireshark to see whats going on.
right after router boots its looking for 192.168.0.100.
i used that ip for my computer to see what its looking for and i found out it is asking for a file "vmlinux" from tftp. So I set up tftp server and tried lots of kernels, from original d-link firmware to dd-wrt mini(I both extracted the linux kernel from the images, and also tried the whole image).
It always drops the file with "Disk full or allocation exceeded" error.

If I boot by holding the reset button pressed, it goes to 192.168.0.1 and stays there, only open port is 80, and webpage is emergency firmware upgrade but whatever image i try it hangs (and router stops replying to pings)

I screwed up numerous times before, but the router was just staying @ 192.168.0.2 for ever, and i could flash with tftp.

This time I tried to flash a K6 image. How could that cause CFE tftp function or emergency webpage to stop working? It has nothing to do with it...
marciofabia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 14:46    Post subject: dir-330 bricked Reply with quote
i have a similar problem. what did you do to fix it?
mild_pats_fan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just updated the wiki, see if there is anything in there that helps:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/DIR-330
mtheory
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 22:13    Post subject: Bricked DIR-330 Reply with quote
I followed the directions on the DD-WRT DIR-330 Wiki, but after the section on flashing the Generic Mini image, the DIR-330 stopped responding. I also tried the recommendations on bad flash recovery. But no luck either.

So I just wanted to see if anyone else has had success recovering a DIR-330

Thanks
Jigoro
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just recovered one. I had to JTAG the device to delete the kernel (with urjtag: "eraseflash 0x1c040000 1") then the CFE would gladly stay on 192.168.0.2 and accept a new image by tftp.
Hope this helps...
mild_pats_fan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I PMed him after he posted to try and help him out, but never got a reply...
lesf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay, I have now bricked my second d330 and its symptoms are exactly like described in this post.

Flashed a mini dd-wrt on it as described, it booted the mini version. Following the d330 wiki page I telnetted to it, Did 'erase nvram' and 'exit'. Power cycled the router and it never came back.

It responds to about 4 pings on powerup, however will not accept a tftp image.

power light, wifi light, and port 1 lit.
blue led comes on for about 8 seconds on power up.

I am determined to get this right even if I have to buy a JTAG adapter. Before I take that big step, any last minute ideas on what I could try?
grab3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
If your dir330 is available over 192.168.0.1 use

ftp://ftp.dlink.ru/pub/Router/DIR-330/Firmware/DIR330_FirmwareUpgrade_100B08.exe

I've experimented a lot with it, and every time router seemed bricked i used that utility on 192.168.0.1(push reset, plug power in, hold reset for 10 secs, release reset, 192.168.0.1 ping will come up) to restore it to original dlink firmware.
lesf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
No go...

I can ping 192.168.0.1 for a few seconds.. ttl of 48.

I can also ping 192.168.0.2 for a few seconds.. ttl of 100.

the router is trying to tftp read /vmlinux
it tries quite a few times, however I can't seem to force feed any firmware via tftp even if i tell it is /vmlinux...

wireshark capture:
192.168.0.2 192.168.0.100 TFTP Read Request, File: vmlinux\000, Transfer type: octet\000

Its got something left inside running, its not completely bricked. (so it seems)
have set laptop to 192.168.0.100 and tried to start tftp session many times. It ignores it.

The frustrating thing is that I have flashed many Asus and Linksys routers with all kinds of firmware and never had a router kick my butt like this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: