Airlink 101 AR670W - Chip & Flash Details

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50  Next
darkstrike
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've noticed that the last two posts in this thread are to the stock, non DD-WRT firmware. Does that mean that DD-WRT development for this router has ceased?
Sponsor
neptho
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
I believe the problem is that SVN 16214 was the last stable release (others flake after a period, and this has never been addressed), and it didn't start SSH properly.

Some people need bleeding edge. I'm happy with 16214, and this startup script I use to start SSH:

Code:
iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o br0 -s 192.168.0.0/24 -d 192.168.0.0/24 -j MASQUERADE
echo "16384" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_max
if [ ! -d /tmp/root/.ssh ]; then
  mkdir -p /tmp/root/.ssh
fi
if [ ! -f /tmp/root/.ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key ]; then
  dropbearkey -t rsa -f /tmp/root/.ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key
fi
if [ ! -f /tmp/root/.ssh/ssh_host_dss_key ]; then
  dropbearkey -t dss -f /tmp/root/.ssh/ssh_host_dss_key
fi
dropbear -r /tmp/root/.ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key -d /tmp/root/.ssh/ssh_host_dss_key -p 22 -s

The iptables statement lets me ssh/etc within my local network, the '16384' echo gives me up to 16k connections, and the rest just sets up dropbear with ssh keys (if they don't exist), and starts it as an ssh daemon.

I'd like to see a stable DD-WRT release, but, again, I'm fairly happy with this.
darkstrike
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Neptho - thanks for the reply. I wasn't looking for "bleeding edge", but my current router is a Linksys WRT54G running DDWRT mini build of 14929.

I was at least looking for something newer than that, so I may have to try 16214.

I currently have a later build of DD-WRT than that on my Airlink though as I was trying to get wifi to work in the newer builds - does DD-WRT work with downgrades? (i.e. could I just upload a older build in the firmware upload part of the GUI and flash like normal and have everything be fine?)

Also, I had read somewhere about there being issues with Macs and wifi in one of the Airlink builds (I don't have a Mac, but I have many friends who do)...was this fixed in 16214?
neptho
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
darkstrike wrote:
Hi Neptho - thanks for the reply. I wasn't looking for "bleeding edge", but my current router is a Linksys WRT54G running DDWRT mini build of 14929.

I was at least looking for something newer than that, so I may have to try 16214.

I currently have a later build of DD-WRT than that on my Airlink though as I was trying to get wifi to work in the newer builds - does DD-WRT work with downgrades? (i.e. could I just upload a older build in the firmware upload part of the GUI and flash like normal and have everything be fine?)

Also, I had read somewhere about there being issues with Macs and wifi in one of the Airlink builds (I don't have a Mac, but I have many friends who do)...was this fixed in 16214?

I have tried a later build, and I was able to downgrade to r16214 on my 670W just fine. The trick is doing so if you get one that screws up the LAN. Do NOT do a flash reset when you downgrade if that happens; I can't say that it will break the LAN, but I have seen other reports of that.

If you change the MTU and timeout settings, you shouldn't have any issue w/ Macs. If you set it to 1492 for MTU, you should be fine. I had dropoff with my iPhone until I did that.. but I no longer use an iPhone.

It really is a shame that this hasn't been resolved; I was contemplating sending a couple routers upstream just so they could fix this, but there doesn't seem to be any interest in doing so (and shipping internationally would cost me a fortune).
darkstrike
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 23:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
neptho wrote:

It really is a shame that this hasn't been resolved; I was contemplating sending a couple routers upstream just so they could fix this, but there doesn't seem to be any interest in doing so (and shipping internationally would cost me a fortune).

Agreed! If I had another router of this type that I wasn't using, I'd contemplate sending it along as well as it seems a quality router for a decent price....if I knew more about coding, I would try and help solve the issue, but unfortunately, as good as I am with computers, it's not something I am good at :S
neptho
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
darkstrike wrote:
Agreed!

I suppose it may be possible to actually go through all of the code and see what has been twiddled that makes the LAN die, and the WLAN unreliable, but I haven't got the time to mess around as I once did.

It is difficult to find such a robust router (32M RAM, 266Mhz CPU, Wireless N) for such a low price.

There probably isn't much call for fixing this issue as the device is discontinued, and evidently there's some issues with the code as distributed on the units being GPL, w/o sources offered.
ddwrtquestion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm thinking of getting one these for use with HMA.COM - can anyone tell me if these router (Airlink 101 AR670W) supports the DDWRT OpenVPN Tab?
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
ddwrtquestion wrote:
I'm thinking of getting one these for use with HMA.COM - can anyone tell me if these router (Airlink 101 AR670W) supports the DDWRT OpenVPN Tab?

No, 4MB flash is not memory enough for OpenVPN to be included.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
ddwrtquestion wrote:

No, 4MB flash is not memory enough for OpenVPN to be included.

I've been reading far too many websites and not getting a really good answer..can you give me an example of a cheap router that will provide OpenVpn? Will these all work? http://wiki.hidemyass.com/Router

If I click the link on the wiki for the Asus Nt-12 I get two models at Amazon, at very different prices. Will they both work?
neptho
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Has there been a stable build since 16214?

I don't really mind being on this build, since I've created workarounds for the known issues, but I'd like to get further support, and toy with a few new features in later DD-WRT builds.

The problem with the more recent builds are:
* arbitrary wired functionality
* random crashes which require a hard reset
* Seemingly strange issues with MTU

Has anyone braved a recent build and have had it work for more than two days at a stretch?

E: Well, I bit the bullet:

Firmware Version
DD-WRT v24-sp2 (02/11/13) std - build 20675

E2: Wireless is broken. Back down I go..
darkstrike
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been following this thread and checking for new builds for months...none have fixed the wireless issue Sad
tsqd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:45    Post subject: Build 21061 bricks my AR670W Reply with quote
Build 21061 bricks my AR670W. I can load 20675 successfully. Not sure if/who to notify on this, but thought I'd mention it.
darkstrike
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you manage to unbrick your router tsqd?

Has anybody tried the latest 21153 build; is WiFi working again? Now that tsqd said 21061 bricks his 670W, I'm a bit leery of trying the latest builds as I wouldn't know how to unbrick mine...
tsqd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
darkstrike wrote:
Did you manage to unbrick your router tsqd?

Has anybody tried the latest 21153 build; is WiFi working again? Now that tsqd said 21061 bricks his 670W, I'm a bit leery of trying the latest builds as I wouldn't know how to unbrick mine...

Yes. If you hold the reset pin down when you power on the router, you can access the router at http://192.168.1.10 and load the dd-wrt supplied airlink-factory image. FYI, you can't ping that .10 address and you'll need to manually power off/on after loading the image.
darkstrike
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh, awesome, that's a handy feature. Is WiFi working on the newest build now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 47 of 50
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: