v24 final micro bandwidth monitor stoped working?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
ThaCrip
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:12    Post subject: v24 final micro bandwidth monitor stoped working? Reply with quote
Status > WAN ...

'Traffic By Month' ... which sorta seemed to have stoped working on the 14th of this month (July) which is the day i powered down my pc since i went on vacation for about 1 week and i came back and i just noticed it aint graphing the bandwidth usage past that day to the time i wrote this text in this thread.

the total traffic seems to keep updating as usual but the graph dont display the down (green color)/up (red color) bandwidth like it did since i installed it around the time the final stable firmware first came out.

p.s. before anyone says anything... i did the 'hard-reset, update firmware, hard-reset (hard-reset = hold reset button for 30 seconds) and then reconfigure before i use it so that cant be the issue.

p.s. total uptime on the Linksys WRT54GS v6 router running DD-WRT v24 final stable micro is 41 days and 7 hours... and yes, the time is setup correctly.

so my question is... is this a bug in the firmware? ... or a memory running out issue, or what?

everything works fine though besides that small issue i just noticed... it dont effect functionality though as i was just messing around in the routers webpage and noticed that glitch.

thanks for your time Wink
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
for my micro units its working

reboot

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
UPDATE:

there must be some sorta bug in the bandwidth monitoring stuff cause i updated to v24 SP1 (build 10012) when it came out and my router has been up for 10 days (as i write this text) and it appears by checking the bandwidth monitor that it stoped monitoring the traffic in the graph about 3 days ago... so basically about a week later and it is not monitoring the traffic in the graph... the router appears to work fine though.

p.s. yes i did the hard-reset,update,hard-reset,manual configure to.

also, like i said in my original post... it appeared the v24 ran for a good month or two before acting up... but i suppose if this is a bug it will be fairly hard to pinpoint?

Primary Router: Linksys WRT54GS v1.1 /w dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic (r46640 May 13th 2021) ; new Panasonic capacitors Feb 11th 2020 | Backup Router: Linksys WRT54GS v6 /w dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic (r46640 May 13th 2021)
ThaCrip
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
just curious if anyone knows anything about this?

i surely cant be the only one getting this problem on my Linksys WRT54GS v6 hardware right?

Primary Router: Linksys WRT54GS v1.1 /w dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic (r46640 May 13th 2021) ; new Panasonic capacitors Feb 11th 2020 | Backup Router: Linksys WRT54GS v6 /w dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic (r46640 May 13th 2021)
vulcan59
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Very similar to what is happening to my wrt54gs v1.1. See my post from a couple of days ago.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=36150
ThaCrip
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ vulcan59 ... yep, that's pretty much exact same thing im getting to as the graph just stop's updating.

my 'total traffic keeps counting though since the router was powered on but the graph itself (i.e. Traffic By Month) is what stops working as it dont show anything there at all... as to when it did work you could see the typical green and red stuff for download and upload for the day.

i aint no expert but... since you and i pretty much have same issue it seems the bug is not just in micro (like im running) but in other builds of v24 and v24-sp1 etc to.

could it be something about dd-wrt not liking linksys hardware or what?

someone else has to be able to give us more info on this ;)

although i figure if another couple people or so can confirm this issue on linksys (or other hardware) maybe the devs will pay more attention to this... but i guess since the router works fine (besides this issue) odds are (and i cant blame them) they will get to the more critical stuff before attempting to fix this possible bug.

redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't know if this applies to you or not.

If you reboot your router you loose that days Traffic data. The data gets committed to nvram only once a day (to minimize nvram memory writes) This occurs when your router's clock reaches 23:59.

It can count all day long but if you do a reboot of the unit....that days data is gone.

Anytime I update firmware on my router (the main AP is the only one I am running the Traffic data on) I go in and do an "nvram commit" before doing the update. Then I extract the "traff-mm-yyyy" variables and manually put it back in after the firmware update. This way all the current data is saved/retrieved.

It may not apply but I thought it was worth mentioning again.

redhawk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks redhawk. Rebooting the router wasn't the problem in my case. The router was up for several days but suddenly on one day the 23:59 commit to nvram didn't happen. See my posting which I mentioned above for details.
There is something odd happening here. If any of the experts or developers can suggest anything to try and diagnose the problem next time it happens I will be very willing to help.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Eko wrote the traffic graph and its modules. Send him a PM. He might know of something you can use to test it when it fails again.

Now...I am also assuming you did a Hard Reset AFTER installing the firmware. Old nvram variables are known to cause very strange problems...

exa. One I have seen recently is that the 10108 build will sometimes cause the "Afterburner" to be enabled by default....it won't allow the Repeater Bridge to function properly (probably more than just the afterburner variable....it was likely some other parameter that I didn't see)....Hard resetting fixes this one.....

The traffic issue could be a new one as well.

redhawk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
vulcan59 wrote:
Thanks redhawk. Rebooting the router wasn't the problem in my case. The router was up for several days but suddenly on one day the 23:59 commit to nvram didn't happen. See my posting which I mentioned above for details.
There is something odd happening here. If any of the experts or developers can suggest anything to try and diagnose the problem next time it happens I will be very willing to help.

that pretty much sums up my case to.... as once it stop's saving that data it never comes back on at all until you reboot.

and as of this moment mine is out to and my router's uptime is currently 11days 11hours and 20minutes... today the 9th of Aug and it stoped recording the graphi info on the 6th til today (the 5th was the last day it recorded fine)

p.s. and yes, i did the hard-reset,flash,hard-reset,manually configure stuff to.

Last edited by ThaCrip on Sat Aug 09, 2008 13:28; edited 1 time in total
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
ThaCrip wrote:

that pretty much sums up my case to.... as once it stop's saving that data it never comes back on at all until you reboot.

p.s. and yes, i did the hard-reset,flash,hard-reset,manually configure stuff to.

OK...maybe Eko has some ideas. I've never seen this issue and I have been running Traffic since March.

redhawk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
@redhawk ... i even had this issue on the v24 stable build (micro version) also, but that never had a issue til like 1-2months of constant uptime befor it acted up with it not saving the graph data.

where as v24-sp1 micro (build 10012) did it real quick as like i said above. (basically about a week-ish later)

thanks for your time and suggestions.

p.s. i have not rebooted the router yet so if there's anything i can do to help maybe find the bug just let me know if there's a way to get info from the router in it's current non-working graph state.

ThaCrip
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
well i PM'ed Eko and he said he's looking into this issue.

-----------------
Hi!
Will check it.

Best regards, Eko
------------------

p.s. does anyone else have this issue? if so please post this way we can get more confirmation from more than just 2 people (Vulcan59 and I) but i guess unless he finds the problem etc i guess there aint much else i can do but sit back and wait and hope it's eventually fixed.

is there any chance a certain configuration could trigger this bandwidth graph bug? ... im curious as to what Vulcan59 did to the configuration on dd-wrt to see if there's anything that we did that Redhawk did not etc and maybe help pinpoint it.

vulcan59
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
My router has just stopped updating again. PM sent to Eko in case he wants any evidence while it's in this state.
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
It was nvram lock problem. Already fixed in latest builds.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: