WNDR3300 and WRT350N v1.0 Brick's [solved]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 23:11    Post subject: WNDR3300 and WRT350N v1.0 Brick's [solved] Reply with quote
Pay attention closely, because this is what happens when you don't pay attention to what you are doing.

1. Asus RT-N16
2. Netgear WNDR3300 (debricked by eraseing nvram and starting tftpd)
3. Linksys WRT300N v1.1(Wasn't hurt by the k2.6 FW, just reflash correct FW)
4. Linksys WRT350N v1.0(debricked by eraseing nvram and help from CaScAdE)

I guess you noticed that there are numbers in from of all those routers. That's the order in which this happened.

Some how when upgrading the RT-N16 I kept selecting the same firmware. Yea that's right, I loaded k2.6 firmware on my 3300, 300, 350. The only one to fair OK was the 300. GUI came backup and I reflashed the correct firmware.

Now my request is, does anyone know the pinouts to the serial console on the WNDR3300 or know where I can get them?

Redhawk0 provided me with info to make this pic.

Netgear WNDR3300g.JPG
 Description:
WNDR3300 Serial Console Pinouts
 Filesize:  99.34 KB
 Viewed:  31863 Time(s)

Netgear WNDR3300g.JPG

Last edited by DHC_DarkShadow on Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:45; edited 3 times in total
Sponsor
jumran
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 23:22    Post subject: Re: Embarrassed Reply with quote
DHC_DarkShadow wrote:
Now my request is, does anyone know the pinouts to the serial console on the WNDR3300 or know where I can get them?

See if the following is helpful.

Code:
http://oldwiki.openwrt.org(2f)OpenWrtDocs(2f)Hardware(2f)Netgear(2f)WNDR3300.html
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Would have been if I had read the whole thing Laughing
I just looked at the pic. Thx anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
YEA!!!!!!!!

Routers backup and kickin'!

Guess I'll have to do a better job next time brickenum' Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good information everyone. I was looking for the serial pinouts myself for the wndr3300 the other day as I was trying to see why a recent trailed chk file (r13525) would not finish flashing. I totally glossed over that section in the openwrt wiki entry as well.

I'll update my changes to the ddwrt wndr3300 wiki with this info as I started a section about jtag/serial last week.

Last edited by patord on Wed Feb 24, 2010 15:35; edited 1 time in total
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
No JTAG on the WNDR3300.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
DHC_DarkShadow wrote:
No JTAG on the WNDR3300.

What is the header near the serial port pads?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
DHC_DarkShadow wrote:
No JTAG on the WNDR3300.

What is the header near the serial port pads?

That is the interface for the dome LED's. It is NOT JTAG.

redhawk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:55    Post subject: Best method to follow? Reply with quote
Ok I just bricked the router.. I have been at this all night trying to tFTP in linux, windows with no go. Did even a port scan, and IP Scan and nothing showed.

I can't ping the router for the most part with one exception. I am able to get the router to ping when I pull the power, Plug back in the power WHILE HOLDING the reset button down on the router..

TTL usually 100, and pings start 200, 80, 60, 500, then by the fifth ping it times out..
TFTP can't send even one packet through during the ping on bootup.. in linux or windows..

I was looking to Serial it but I am not into electronics all that much...... Long time ago...

Anyways from what I gather I need a serial port.. oddly I have one built into my laptop, yea for me... but then I notice that I need a serial data cable or the that it might be easier to get 323 TTL usb adaptor thing.

I'm stumped tho, is there a upgrade version of this router worth buying that works with dd-wrt rather going through the trouble of trying to serial this thing.. How hard would it be to find this locally so I can be up and running sooner.. I live in houston, TX so any tips would be helpful. otherwise I will look into ebay. I wish I could just use my built in serial but thats not going to really save me any money unless I can find a old data pda cable with this chip.

Any suggestions as this thread seems better then even the 70+ page thread.. This one was direct and to the point of what I need to do.
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Which router? for the 3300 you need a serial adapter. It can't be done any other way.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
yeah I have a 3300, I have opened it, fairly easily I might add.

Inside it some numbers followed by "REV. 1GP" right next to the dome light interface.

would you suggest

http://cgi.ebay.com/RS232-Serial-Port-to-TTL-Converter-Module-MAX3232_W0QQitemZ220561940038QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item335a841e46#ht_2422wt_981

or should I get something better? I noticed we have 6 contacts on that pin layout, this thing only has 4 contact pins. Should I be looking for a 6pin serial adapter? Rightnow I'm running on a backup 2wire device for my wireless. There is always a chance that the serial interface isn't working? Notice a form of these are used for xbox 360 drive key dumps.. interesting ..
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
All you need is 4, GND-TX-RX-VCC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
DHC_DarkShadow wrote:
All you need is 4, GND-TX-RX-VCC

Even 3 will work if the USB->Serial converter IC gets its power from the USB side, they mostly do.

Nokia DKU-5 or the cheap Chinese copy CA-42 works well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow thanks for all the tips.. The data cable I can get locally.. in fact I even found the RS232 Serial port to TTL converter at a local electronic hobby shop about 2 hours ago. They told me over the phone they only have two left. I will pick one up tomorrow for like 12dollars, but I'm making sure via research that this will be what I need.. and what chips are better. The data cable is easy to find to, cell phone stores in my area have them, would I need special drivers? or are both of these options plug and play?
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
$12 is a bit too much for a simple serial RS232<->TTL converter but if you go for that solution then make sure that it is 3.3V TTL and not 5V.

Pda's and mobile phones uses 3.3V TTL so their cables are perfect for router serial logging.
Be aware that a lot of pda's and mobile phones uses USB<->USB cables , not USB<->TTL serial so make sure you get the right cable.
The DKU-5 cable or the clone CA-42 are the right type, the CA-42 is $8 in my local mobile phone shop and I have seen it on ebay for $4-5.
You'd better try to get one of those, your next computer may not even have a serial port.

Navigation

Jump to: