two WAP54 v3.1 connected in repeator bridge mode???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Miha22
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:27    Post subject: two WAP54 v3.1 connected in repeator bridge mode??? Reply with quote
Hi,
here is my problem! I want to connect to my friends network. He has normal router and WAP54 v3.1 with latest DD-wrt on it, for wireless access. I can receive his signal only in one room. So I want to expend this signal with second WAP54 v3.1 with latest DD-wrt in Repeator bridge mode, to other rooms. Is this possible, and how should I set my wap54.
Thanks in advance!

Miha
Sponsor
mk378
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
When you don't own the AP, you should use repeater mode instead of bridge so the two LANs remain separate.

Your friend's router can remain with a standard setup as an access point to serve wireless end users. Your router will just become another end user to him.

Start with a wired connection to your router. Flash dd-wrt and reset to default settings. Place the router where you know the signal will reach. Under the main setup leave LAN mode as DHCP. Under wireless, select repeater mode and set the SSID and encryption to match your neighbor. Reboot your router and watch for it to get a WAN address-- this shows it is linked to your friend's AP. (If that doesn't happen, go to status / wireless and run a site survey to confirm you are in radio range.)

At this point you should be able to access the internet on your PC through the wired link to your router and on to your friend's house. For wireless access in your house, under wireless add up a second virtual interface and configure it with a different SSID. Be sure to put WPA encryption on it too to prevent unauthorized connects to your friend's service through you.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 13:48    Post subject: Re: two WAP54 v3.1 connected in repeator bridge mode??? Reply with quote
Miha22 wrote:
Hi,
here is my problem! I want to connect to my friends network. He has normal router and WAP54 v3.1 with latest DD-wrt on it, for wireless access. I can receive his signal only in one room. So I want to expend this signal with second WAP54 v3.1 with latest DD-wrt in Repeator bridge mode, to other rooms. Is this possible, and how should I set my wap54.
Thanks in advance!

Miha

Yes...you can piggyback RB to RB units. Set up your second RB's GW to point to the original router's IP and not the first RB as the GW.

But I have to agree with mk378....use Repeater mode for your first router...then RB for your second....it will keep your friend off your network for security reasons.

redhawk

Navigation

Jump to: