D-Link DIR-601 Client Bridge Problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
blackermagic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 19:03    Post subject: D-Link DIR-601 Client Bridge Problems Reply with quote
I just got the D-Link DIR-601 and loaded the v24-sp2 (2/17/11).

I needed to extend the reach of my network to the backyard and I wanted to go the Wireless Repeater, but that isn't an option. Ok...so lets go with the Client Bridge (Routed) mode.

I followed instructions posted here http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged , and never could get it to work. I factory reset the router and tried several more times.

I see the MAC address of my ASUS RT-N16 as the access point, but as soon as change my laptop from a static IP to dynamic, it never gets an IP besides what Windows gives it. From the other computers on the Asus router, I can't reach the DIR-601.

Has anyone got this to Client Bridge to work?
Any tips or trouble shooting I can do?

I am kind of at a loss here. I have been using DD-WRT for years since it first came out for the WRT-54G (which is running great in Wireless Repeater mode!).

[updated]
I have found a newer firmware file, (03/17/11) and tried that build also, but still no luck
Sponsor
kiran
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been trying this for a couple days now with a DIR-601. If I make it join my existing wifi network as a client, devices connected with a cable to the 601 can surf, but can't see devices on my main lan.

The moment I change it from gateway to router, the 601 disappears. No dhcp, can't ping it, no gui.. only way back is to reset and start over, that I've been able to find.

My main router is a stock Netgear N300.
rybo.1911
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm also having problems with the DIR-601 as a bridge. It just won't work.

I have the 2/17/11 build. I followed a few of the different instructions on the boards and wiki multiple times. It shows that I'm connected to the gateway router, but there is no access to the internet.

Another thing that bothers me is the status shows the rate is only 1Mb/s in G-only mode. I can't find anywhere to adjust this either. I noticed this problem happens when changing from AP to Client Bridge. AP G-only has the 54 Mb/s rate, then it just drops.
blackermagic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 21:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was able to configure Client mode. So my wired devices are able to connect to the internet via a separate subnet. That won't work for what I need to do though. I need all the PC/Devices to be able to see each other.

As soon as a change the few different settings to Client Bridge, poof...no internet connection.

3 of us seem to have the same problems...wonder if there is anyone out there that has gotten this to work?
blackermagic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think I have a workaround...

No matter what I did, Client-Bridge won't work...froze up my router multiple times and had to reset to get it out of lala land.

So I went with the Client Configuration and made sure I could connect to the internet with wired connection. Then I created a virtual interface and setup the wireless security from there.

I can ping the other computers in the network (different subnet), so I hope all my media stuff will work around the house...
blackermagic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nope...media stuff was not available on x.x.2.x subnet from x.x.1.x subnet as I thought it wouldn't be.

I really want to get these two routers on the same subnet!

Any ideas?

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?
rybo.1911
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Time to give up, I guess. I don't think it works.

Those instructions and whatnot are most likely based off the theory that the firmware will work. Reality is it doesn't work.
blackermagic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I guess we have confirmed that this firmware has some improvement to go. Darn it...I was hoping I could get some good use with this sucker out in the backyard.

Too bad no one posts...we must be the only 3 that have this router.
H3llh0und
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I guess most atheros based HW had this "problem".

On Broadcom devices it has also been a long way until repeater works flawlessly.

So patience is the dictate of the moment.

Kind regards.
rybo.1911
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
@blackermagic

We really can't be the only 3 w/ this. There was a lot of views. I think people were looking for an answer.

I actually just bought the router off of newegg, because all the forums and wikis said it could use DD-WRT. I was hoping it'd get a better signal than my PS3 and then be a way to get N speeds later.

I don't think I'll go open source again. Just no guarantees.
blackermagic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
@rybo.1911 how funny! I ordered it from Newegg last week too, $28 bucks! Don't give on up open source...

Actually if you want the best Open Source router it is the Asus RT-N16 ($95). It works the best next to the WRT54G that I have been running for about 7 years with DD-WRT.

I am actually running the RT-N16 with Tomato, because their USB printer and storage implementation actually works out of the box. I had DD-WRT on there for a couple of hours, but didn't want to dork with scripts and add-on tools.

I just wanted to extend to the backyard on the cheap...I should have just bought another Asus...
Madnick
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
blackermagic wrote:
...the best Open Source router it is...

I would say the best open source router is a router, where all the open source firmwares actually work, so no Atheros based devices there... yet...

1x WZR-HP-G300NH (joke right?)
kiran
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Madnick wrote:
I would say the best open source router is a router, where all the open source firmwares actually work, so no Atheros based devices there... yet...

The best router is one that works. Yes, I have to agree. Laughing
rybo.1911
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="blackermagic"]@rybo.1911 how funny! I ordered it from Newegg last week too, $28 bucks!

HAHA! It was such a good deal, too! So much for cheap solutions.

I'll take your advice. You seem to have more experience with routers. I am still running on Wireless G and usually just go with the Linksys and don't mess with it. This is the first time I tried to expand/upgrade the network.

At least I didn't spend too much. But then again, if I spent more it probably would've worked. LOL

Down with D-Link. That's my conclusion.
jb317
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I too cannot get this thing to work as a client bridge.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: