D-Link DIR-601 Client Bridge Problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
aamsid
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 0:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just joined to let you know, I am having the same problem. Had tried different instructions for the 7th time and then found this thread so now ill stop.

Also I note the the DDWRT only has the option of client bridge (routed), my other TP Link's DDWRT has this without the (routed).
Sponsor
sireone
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
In the same boat here. Everything looks exactly like my WRT54G (Except for the (routed) beside the client bridge. It seems it cannot connect to the wireless or pass traffic. Also seeing the 1Mbps data rate.
semifast
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 16:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
blackermagic wrote:
I think I have a workaround...

No matter what I did, Client-Bridge won't work...froze up my router multiple times and had to reset to get it out of lala land.

So I went with the Client Configuration and made sure I could connect to the internet with wired connection. Then I created a virtual interface and setup the wireless security from there.

I can ping the other computers in the network (different subnet), so I hope all my media stuff will work around the house...

Another frustrated user here. Can't get client bridge working.

Could you pleas post details of how you got client mode working in the limited way you did ? Since I can't get a fully functional bridge I'd like to at least see if I can get it to work the way you did. I could use it to get my Directv receiver hooked to the internet.
jb317
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I finally got this to work by setting it up as a client. http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode_Wireless

The 601 now picks up signal from my Airlink 101, and I can plug in up to 4 ethernet cables for Internet access on those 4 devices. I'm not sure how this is different than a bridge, but it works like I need it to.
hilltopper06
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
jb317 wrote:
I finally got this to work by setting it up as a client. http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode_Wireless

The 601 now picks up signal from my Airlink 101, and I can plug in up to 4 ethernet cables for Internet access on those 4 devices. I'm not sure how this is different than a bridge, but it works like I need it to.

Did you use the newer firmware or the older one? Can you see local connections (other comps, etc)? Thanks.
jb317
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
hilltopper06 wrote:
jb317 wrote:

Did you use the newer firmware or the older one? Can you see local connections (other comps, etc)? Thanks.

Newer firmware. No, I can't see the connections. So, while this may or not technically be a brigde (I think it is, based upon my limited knowledge), I can wirelessly send Internet to the Dlink and plug my devices into for web access. I have my Obi-110 and a PC both plugged into it for web access, and both work great.
dreary79
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got this router for $18 from amazon. I'm disappointed that the client bridge feature doesn't work. I'm going to move some devices around and set it up as an AP for now.

Hoping for a fix.
seth351
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
I bought this router specifically to use as a bridge to an existing wireless network. I have exhausted all DD-WRT options and it just doesn't work. I understand that it might work in client mode, but the double NAT that would create is unacceptable. Guess I'll have to return it and look for other options.
fosloss
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes it works as a repeater bridge, first follow this instructions
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode_Wireless
then in setup/basic setup do not set gateway and local dns leave it 0
go to wireless basic settings add virtual interface, wireless mode AP,
wireless SSID brodcast enable, save and apply, done.
LAN ports are working and wireless is working, my main router is WGT624 v3
djkage42
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:03    Post subject: Also Stuck Reply with quote
Glad to know I'm not the only one struggling with this. I'm going to lay out as much info as I can to see if anyone can spot an error here, in hopes that maybe this is just a mistake on my part.

Gateway Router: Belkin F5D7230-4. Original firmware. Factory settings except for the firewall is turned off and I obviously set a WPA password. It is on AES algorithms.

Secondary Router: D-Link DIR-601. Flashed with DD-WRT v24-sp2

On dd-wrt I've set the following:
Under Setup/Basic Setup:
STP is disabled, the local IP address is set to an original address, the gateway IP address is set to the gateway router's address, assign WAN port to switch is checked, and the time zone is correct.

Under Setup/Advanced Routing the operating mode is router.

Under Wireless the Wireless mode is Client Bridge (routed), Auto DHCP, Mixed wireless network mode (this is the one thing I was unsure of - I don't know my gateway router's wireless network mode), Channel Width of 20 MHz, and the SSID is correct.

Under Wireless/Wireless Security I have WPA Personal, AES, and the password (which I have confirmed is correct).

I did go to Status/Wireless and Site Survey and joined my gateway router's network. Then it shows the correct information under Wireless Status (MAC address, channel number, etc). It even shows the signal quality (which is often low despite me moving the secondary router).

When I turn off static IP and turn on obtain automatically nothing happens - no internet. It also does not show an IP address and says "no network access". I have disconnected the secondary router from power and reconnected and disconnected from the computer and reconnected to no avail. I have NOT reset the router because I was afraid that would rid me of my settings.

That's all the info I think there is to share. Anyone got some thoughts?

Thanks.
-Kelly
djkage42
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh, and also - my purpose in doing this is to create the secondary router into a bridge so I connect my Xbox wirelessly. From my understanding I DON'T want a repeater bridge for this.

-Kelly
Silly Wabbit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
djkage42 wrote:
Oh, and also - my purpose in doing this is to create the secondary router into a bridge so I connect my Xbox wirelessly. From my understanding I DON'T want a repeater bridge for this.

-Kelly

I had problem with "Client Bridge (routed)" mode and finally after I said screw it and changed to "Client", it worked flawlessly.

Basically I have it set up to this..

AP <Wireless connection> DIR-601 <wired connection> BR player
fosloss
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
1.Do a HARD reset on your router.
2.Connect a cable from your computer to the LAN port on your router.
3.Set your computer to a static IP address (e.g. 192.168.1.7)
4.Open a web browser and connect to 192.168.1.1 to view the DD-WRT GUI.
5.You should be asked to change your password and username. Carefully type these in. If you aren'tasked for a password and username, do a hard reset, this time doing it properly! Hit change password.
6.FIRST go to Wireless -> Wireless Security and enter the Security Mode and other key information that matches your primary router that you will be connecting to over wireless.
7.Hit SAVE (not apply)
8.NEXT go to the Wireless -> Basic Settings and change the Wireless Mode to Client.
9.On that same tab set the Wireless Network Name (SSID) to exactly the same SSID as your primary router you will be connecting to over wireless. Make sure spelling and capitalization match
10.Hit SAVE (not apply)
11.NEXT go to Setup -> Basic Setup and change Connection Type to Automatic Configuration - DHCP
12.On that same tab in the Network Setup section set the Local IP Address to 192.168.2.1 (Your LAN subnet MUST differ from the WAN subnet!).
13.Check Assign Wan Port to Switch if you want to be able to use it as another LAN port.
14.Go to Security -> Firewall and disable the SPI Firewall if you do not need to worry about security between the AP and Client router.
15.Hit Apply
16.Set your computer back to auto IP and auto DNS if you like. You will get a DHCP address from the router.
17.You may need to unplug the router for 17 seconds if the router doesn't reset
18.In setup/basic setup do not set gateway and local dns leave it 0.0.0.0
19.Go to wireless basic settings add virtual interface, wireless mode AP, wireless SSID broadcast enable, save and apply, done
seth351
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
fosloss wrote:
Yes it works as a repeater bridge, first follow this instructions
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode_Wireless
. . .

Your link is instructions for client mode, not repeater bridge. Regardless, neither is acceptable for my application.
djkage42
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
THANK YOU fosloss. Out of the many, many tutorials and suggestions I have tried this is the ONLY one to work. Thank you so very much!! Now to try connecting to my Xbox!

Edit - Hooked it into my Xbox and it works perfectly. I can't thank you enough!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: