D-Link DIR-601 Client Bridge Problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
hellboyz77
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello,
i've have problem with Client Mode, as i described in this thread http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=82782&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=wrt160nl&start=60

With my WRT160NL i can connect to an host router in Client Mode, but i've a problem with connection stability. What i get is:
1) Connect to the host router on the right channel, example 11.
2) Set the TX and RX rate to 104 even if i choose G-only (the host router is G not N). See this image:
3) Stay connected about 10 seconds, then there is a shift to a random channel. Connection lost.
4) Repeat from step 1.

Sometimes it works for some hours then the problem appear again and again.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Regards.
Sponsor
superaj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I feel like this thread is diverging from it's original intent of client-bridge being broken.

I am having this same problem. I have followed instructions 100 times letter for letter and can't get client bridge to work. Client does work though...however I need all computers across the wireless bridge to see each other, not just use the internet.

I guess since v24 sp2 is still in development, this problem is still being fixed. I will have to switch back to my WRT54G w/ DD-WRT sp1 since client bridge works. DIR-601 will have to sit on the shelf for a while.

I hope someone updates this thread when a fix is released or a workaround is found to fix client bridge.
seth351
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I ended up just dropping $100 on a dedicated wireless bridge. Still had to work some mojo to get that set up because the bridge needed a wired connection to the network to set it up and there was no wired connection to the existing wireless network (a Clear "hotspot"). That's the whole reason I needed the wireless bridge in the first place. I got around that by temporarily bridging the wired and wireless connections on my laptop while I set up the bridge.
superaj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
seth351 wrote:
I ended up just dropping $100 on a dedicated wireless bridge. Still had to work some mojo to get that set up because the bridge needed a wired connection to the network to set it up and there was no wired connection to the existing wireless network (a Clear "hotspot"). That's the whole reason I needed the wireless bridge in the first place. I got around that by temporarily bridging the wired and wireless connections on my laptop while I set up the bridge.

If you have an old wrt54g lying around, DD WRT client bridge works on that. You could save a lot of money, $100 is a lot!
seth351
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 23:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I didn't have an old WRT54G lying around (or any other router compatible with DD-WRT) and I had to get this working for my client and I needed this out of my hair. He ponied up the $100 and was happy to do it. It was the most expedient solution.
MissileX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have been trying all day to setup the client bridge, even after reading countless post on how it does not work I at one point I got my computer to read the dns servers off the main ap but still no internet

switched over to gargoyle loaded dir-600a1 into my dir-601a1 and with in 2 mins had my wireless bridge

don't think I will switch my main ap over just yet still loving the dd-wrt
jinkster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 21:46    Post subject: Mine's not working either. Reply with quote
I have two DIR-601's trying to setup a client bridge, I have spent several hours on this and cannot get it to work. It does work in client mode though, but being on two subnets isn't an option for me because I want to use this for my xbox 360 as a media center extender, I have all my media on one server and have it shared over the network, and want to access this on my xbox, for that I need everything to be on the same subnet. So I guess I am taking my two new routers back to futureshop for a refund Sad

I might have to check out gargoyle and see if that will work as someone else just mentioned they got it working.

Cheers,
Jamie
daveroo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 0:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is mostly just a statement of my frustration.

I've been struggling for days now to get anything to work as documented. I've tried Client Bridge but, as everyone else in this topic has stated, it doesn't work as documented. So I thought I would try simple Client mode, just to get something working. But DHCP won't work on the WAN connection to the AP. If I set a fixed ip address, netmask and gateway then I can get internet access. But the rest of the LAN attached to the AP cannot see the subnet (ie. ping to the fixed IP address for the dd-wrt router fails). I've gone through the instructions for both Client Bridge and Client many times now and they simply don't work. I wonder how much the code is actually tested. I've spent hours searching through the forums and found that there isn't a whole lot of support. It really is too bad... dd-wrt seemed like such a great project... and maybe it is if you happen to be using a router that actually works. But I'm at the point now where I'm just going to abandon it completely and go with a proprietary solution. Even though the sticker price of a proprietary router is higher, if I factor in all my wasted time, it's actually quite cheap.
James3kgtVR4
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
fosloss wrote:
1.Do a HARD reset on your router.
2.Connect a cable from your computer to the LAN port on your router.
3.Set your computer to a static IP address (e.g. 192.168.1.7)
4.Open a web browser and connect to 192.168.1.1 to view the DD-WRT GUI.
5.You should be asked to change your password and username. Carefully type these in. If you aren'tasked for a password and username, do a hard reset, this time doing it properly! Hit change password.
6.FIRST go to Wireless -> Wireless Security and enter the Security Mode and other key information that matches your primary router that you will be connecting to over wireless.
7.Hit SAVE (not apply)
8.NEXT go to the Wireless -> Basic Settings and change the Wireless Mode to Client.
9.On that same tab set the Wireless Network Name (SSID) to exactly the same SSID as your primary router you will be connecting to over wireless. Make sure spelling and capitalization match
10.Hit SAVE (not apply)
11.NEXT go to Setup -> Basic Setup and change Connection Type to Automatic Configuration - DHCP
12.On that same tab in the Network Setup section set the Local IP Address to 192.168.2.1 (Your LAN subnet MUST differ from the WAN subnet!).
13.Check Assign Wan Port to Switch if you want to be able to use it as another LAN port.
14.Go to Security -> Firewall and disable the SPI Firewall if you do not need to worry about security between the AP and Client router.
15.Hit Apply
16.Set your computer back to auto IP and auto DNS if you like. You will get a DHCP address from the router.
17.You may need to unplug the router for 17 seconds if the router doesn't reset
18.In setup/basic setup do not set gateway and local dns leave it 0.0.0.0
19.Go to wireless basic settings add virtual interface, wireless mode AP, wireless SSID broadcast enable, save and apply, done

This Worked For Me THANKS SO MUCH !!!!
seth351
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
This Worked For Me THANKS SO MUCH !!!!

No doubt, but what you've got now is a client and NOT a client bridge.
chosenken
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Installed the latest dd-wrt version (06/14/11) and also can't get client bridge to work. I would really like to get it working as I want to use an old Macbook Pro as a Plex client, though it only has Wireless G and not N. I just set up a DIR-825 and would really like to use that fast N network for something. Guess I'll try the wireless G for now, see if I can stream with that.
ClayDavis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok this is for the Client Bridge mode, its a different model D-Link router but may be related.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=143215
ruhllatio
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 14:02    Post subject: Hey all Reply with quote
Been using dd-wrt for a long time now with mixed results on multiple platforms. Been working the same client bridge issue you all are having trouble with for a friend right now who bought two of these for cheap off Newegg. The difference between client bridge and client bridge (routed) mode is huge. In fact, think of client bridge (routed) mode as client mode without the network address translation. When you set it to this mode (bridge routed), your router expects an IP Address from the main router hosting your internet connection or you change it from Auto DHCP to static and assign one. It then fully expects the main router to have a static route (or in some DD-WRT images' cases dynamic routing via RIP) to your secondary subnet behind the DIR-601. In no way does the DD-WRT firmware on the DIR-601 support bridging its lan ports to the wireless network AP to which it is connecting. It will only drop the requirement to NAT the traffic and act as a router instead of a gateway. What's the difference, right? That's the problem with this industry, too much blurring the lines between terminology.

For people that are concerned about Double NAT only, this will fix your issue as your main network will be entirely aware of the additional subnet. You will be able to set up port forwards for the devices on the additional subnet. For people that want broadcast technologies like upnp and DLNA for media streaming, it just isn't a possibility because of the lack of bridging. WDS in theory should do this for you, but IIRC you need to have a main router that supports it unlike client bridge mode. I can try to put together a visio diagram for anyone interested.

Use gargoyle instead. I hear their client bridge function works on Atheros.
alphacompgeek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also fought this DIR-601/DD-WRT/client bridge mode issue for a long time and never could get it to work. But then I tried Gargoyle and it worked beautifully, so I'm a happy (wireless) camper.
smbyers
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:29    Post subject: Worked but not secure... [EDIT] Reply with quote
fosloss wrote:
1.Do a HARD reset on your router.
2.Connect a cable from your computer to the LAN port on your router.
3.Set your computer to a static IP address (e.g. 192.168.1.7)
4.Open a web browser and connect to 192.168.1.1 to view the DD-WRT GUI.
5.You should be asked to change your password and username. Carefully type these in. If you aren'tasked for a password and username, do a hard reset, this time doing it properly! Hit change password.
6.FIRST go to Wireless -> Wireless Security and enter the Security Mode and other key information that matches your primary router that you will be connecting to over wireless.
7.Hit SAVE (not apply)
8.NEXT go to the Wireless -> Basic Settings and change the Wireless Mode to Client.
9.On that same tab set the Wireless Network Name (SSID) to exactly the same SSID as your primary router you will be connecting to over wireless. Make sure spelling and capitalization match
10.Hit SAVE (not apply)
11.NEXT go to Setup -> Basic Setup and change Connection Type to Automatic Configuration - DHCP
12.On that same tab in the Network Setup section set the Local IP Address to 192.168.2.1 (Your LAN subnet MUST differ from the WAN subnet!).
13.Check Assign Wan Port to Switch if you want to be able to use it as another LAN port.
14.Go to Security -> Firewall and disable the SPI Firewall if you do not need to worry about security between the AP and Client router.
15.Hit Apply
16.Set your computer back to auto IP and auto DNS if you like. You will get a DHCP address from the router.
17.You may need to unplug the router for 17 seconds if the router doesn't reset
18.In setup/basic setup do not set gateway and local dns leave it 0.0.0.0
19.Go to wireless basic settings add virtual interface, wireless mode AP, wireless SSID broadcast enable, save and apply, done

This worked for me (note I had to connect to the SSID specified in the virtual interface AP I created - I actually named it the same thing as my main router SSID). I'm using it now. However, the AP exposed by the virtual interface is not secured. It exposes an unsecured SSID that has full access to my protected network. I was under the impression that it would have the same security. Any ideas?

[EDIT]: I realized there is a way to set security on the virtual interface AP that was created under Wireless -> Wireless Security. It works perfectly. Thank you so much!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: