repeater mode problems on ASUS RT-AC68U

ilya980
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:29    Post subject: repeater mode problems on ASUS RT-AC68U Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

I recently upgraded my router to ASUS RT-AC68U. I bought the T-Mobile version (TM-AC1900) and flashed it with the latest Kong's build (DD-WRT v3.0-r34015M kongac (12/09/17)). First, thank you for all your hard work. The build works well, but I have some questions.

I am trying to set up a repeater of Comcast's xfinitywifi. I did that successfully with an old Linksys WRT54G, but I have troubles with the new router. For some reason the repeater never gets an IP address. It always shows WAN IP: 0.0.0.0. I am sure the signal is good. Site survey tool confirms signal is good. The setup is very similar to the one I had with WRT54G. What am I doing wrong?

I was able to repeat my own home network, but for some reason it almost never works with wireless clients - only a laptop wired to the repeater. When I try to connect a wireless client (android phone or a laptop) it shows on the Sys-Info page for a few seconds, but then drops out. I feel that the connection is being refused for some reason. What am I doing wrong?

I also don't see an option of repeating the network on another channel (or even better on a 5 GHz channel). Is it possible? Otherwise I have 2 routers 3 feet away from each other using the same channel.

Thanks.
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
A repeater is always on the same channel as the upstream AP. It only repeats the signal. The wifi clients will be on the same sub-net as main AP. Therefore this modus is wrong for you.

Set it up as a client. Then the wifi will be the wan port and all clients will be behind it on your own network.

https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers

If all your clients supports 5 Ghz, set the 2.4 as client and the 5 Ghz as AP.
ilya980
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I believe I need the repeater mode. Client mode does not allow virtual interface, so the only option then would be to set up an AP at 5 GHz. Not all my devices support 5 GHz. Besides, I successfully set up a repeater like I wanted with Linksys WRT54G. The problem is that I often overload RAM and CPU on that great old router.

It looks like there might be a bug in the Kong's build regarding WPA/WPA2 set up in the repeater mode. When repeating my home WPA2 network I get "Authentication error" on any wireless device even if I use the same passphrase and same method (i.e. WPA2 Personal AES). Disabling the security on the virtual interface eliminates the problem, everything works, but this leaves my network exposed. Sometimes some combinations of WPA2/WPA work for a short while, but it is very flaky.

Regarding xfinitywifi hotspot I am clueless at what might be wrong. I don't get IP address for some reason, it stays at 0.0.0.0. I see RX packet errors increasing, and no OK RX count increasing. It looks like I am not receiving anything correctly from the hotspot. I compared settings with the old router, the new firmware has many more options, but does not have "Sensitivity Range (ACK timing)" which is set at 2000 meters). Can this be a problem? I have registered the MAC address with my Comcast's xfinity wifi account, which I don't think was necessary, but it did nothing. Signal strength is good - I can just connect to the hotspot directly from the laptop.

Is there a better more stable build to use with repeater option?

Thanks.
ilya980
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I guess my testing boils down to 2 questions for now:

1) Can someone please recommend a build for ASUS RT-AC68U that is successfully used as a repeater with WPA/WPA2 encryption on both interfaces?

2) Why would repeating unsecured network (no WEP/WPA) could possibly result in RX error counts to increase, but RX OK packets to stay unchanged? Signal strength is good.

Thanks.
ilya980
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Updated to DD-WRT v3.0-r34080 std (12/14/17) and everything works like magic!
ilya980
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 17:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I thought it works great, but unfortunately I still have have some issues.

1) Both, Kong's r34015M and BS r34080, seem to have issues with "Authentication problem". I am in the repeater mode. The uplink is unsecured, the downlink is WPA2. With Kong's build I could not connect any wireless device. With BS I can, but occasionally get "Authentication problem". Resolves with multiple tries and/or router reboot. Seems like a firmware bug.

2) I am repeating xfinitywifi. The problem is that the repeater connects to different APs after reboot/apply settings etc. Sometimes it would connect to an AP with weaker signal, but wil have much better rate and speed. Why?

3) Related to 2). I see that my TX error count stays at 0, but RX error count is about 10%, which is a lot. (25000 out of 250000). What is going on?

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: