WRT54G block diagram - right on or all wrong

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
ad5mb
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 17:37    Post subject: WRT54G block diagram - right on or all wrong Reply with quote
I'm trying to make a training aid for a tutorial.

A generic block diagram of a router, based on the WRT54G but not specifically a WRT54G.

Are there any major errors here?

http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn285/kd5kfl/network/?action=view&current=homerouter.jpg

Last edited by ad5mb on Tue Nov 25, 2008 23:58; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
it depends on how technical you are trying to get with your diagrams.

Perhaps this link and an image will help

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Default_Configuration_Diagram

WRT54_sw2_internal_architecture.png
 Description:
internal architecture
 Filesize:  14.09 KB
 Viewed:  14032 Time(s)

WRT54_sw2_internal_architecture.png

Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
What is "tagging"?

Does ETH1 always signify the Router-AP/Modem/etc connection, and ETH0 always the router/clent connection?
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you read the Default Configuration Overview? I believe everything you asked is explained there.
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks....I misread your post and thougth the link was for the image. Interesting, (but not overly accessible!) information.

Thanks again.
ad5mb
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
it depends on how technical you are trying to get with your diagrams.

I work with an equal mix of construction workers, electronics techs, and people who get nicknamed Spock or Egon everywhere they go.

Trying to get the construction guys up to speed, so they are useful on road trips and don't get sent home when the cement is poured. They want to learn, it's a per diem thing.

The Spocks and Egons are forgiving of technical errors, but make a mistake in writing around an electronics tech... You will never hear the end of it.

My two major concerns:

The firewall is hard - wired between WAN port and router, can't be attached to the switch via software changes?

DHCP affects only the switch and wireless clients, WAN is a client to a DHCP server on the WAN port only?

I am aware of that drawing, have a laminated copy of it. Put that in a tutorial, the construction guys will stuff me in a cement mixer.
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
ad5mb wrote:
My two major concerns:

The firewall is hard - wired between WAN port and router, can't be attached to the switch via software changes?

DHCP affects only the switch and wireless clients, WAN is a client to a DHCP server on the WAN port only?

The firewall is software, not hardware. Therefore it is not "hard-wired" to any individual external port. You can firewall traffic between any two switch ports by creating VLANs and filtering between them.

DHCP affects any clients connected to any port, except the WAN port when it is enabled as such. Of course, we know from the overview that the WAN port is just another switch port on this device. So even WAN port can be made to allow DHCP clients (by putting it into the same VLAN as the other ports).

Mind you, not all dd-wrt capable routers use or support VLANs. And I am not as familiar with the ones that don't.
ad5mb
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 23:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, I get it. Thank you.

Quote:
You can firewall traffic between any two switch ports by creating VLANs and filtering between them.

So I could theoretically make a firewall in my wireless bridge, limit what others could see in my network through the WISP? ( university town with many computer science students )
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 0:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bridging is not the best option if you are trying to create secure boundaries between networks.

For example in the overview, the switch ports on vlan0 are bridged to wireless. There is no clear boundary between clients. Everyone appears to be on the same network.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: