SD/MMC mod card compatibilities

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
ldbobby
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 21:45    Post subject: SD/MMC mod card compatibilities Reply with quote
I'm curious whether a 2GB SD card will work with the SD/MMC mod. I've searched far and wide for a definitive answer but have found none. All I could find was people using at most 1GB. Though I have read that the driver supports up to a max of 2GB. I have also searched for a compatibility list of SD cards, I have found one, but it's not quite as detailed as I wish. So if I may, and I hope this is not asking too much, here are my questions and request:

1. If there is a living sole out there that has tried a 2GB SD card, please reply with your findings. Also please include the brand tested.

2. Also, has anyone tried using microSD's with the microSD -> Regular SD card converter? I know anectine17 has, but I believe he installed a microSD socket.

3. And finally, for those out there that have done the SD mod, could you please post the Brand, size, and type of SD card that you are using/have tested. I would really like to start some type of compatibility list either in this thread, a new thread, or the wiki.

Thanks to all in advance!
Sponsor
JohnnyPrimus
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think an easier adventure would be an SD card incompatibility list.

I've only heard of a particular brand of sd failing consistently one time, ever, and that was some no name brand IIRC.

I've used a ton of them, and have never had a problem with any. 2GB works fine, but bear in mind it is slow, so if you really have 2 gigs of data on that card, and are using it actively with the router, it will bottleneck the hell out of you. If you don't mind that, you're in good shape. If you do mind that, just get a smaller card (512, for instance, is plenty for everything i've ever needed to put on my router in the past year combined) and use CIFs or smbfs to transfer large loads.

Totally a matter of pref, do as you like you should be fine compatibility-wise.
csundar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a 2GB Corsair card that doesn't work. Johnny: what brands of SD cards did you use? I'm looking at trading but need to know brand that might work.

thanks

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
See the voltage you use for the SD. I have read that some SD cards are very voltage sensitive.
Linksys WRT54GL v1.1: Tomato 1.11
Buffalo WHR-HP-G54: DD-WRT v23 SP2
ldbobby
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Welp, just finished the SD mod on my WRT54GL today and tried a Kingston 2GB 50x Elite Pro and it doesn't seem to work. I have a Canon 16MB SD and that one is working just fine.

The 2GB, when boot up with it, the white LED flashes about 3 times... then the router just hangs for a long long time. Through out this long time, neither the white LED or the DMZ led is flashing, so I assume it's doing nothing, am I right? Can anyone provide any suggestions as to why this is happening or how to debug or... just tell me it doesn't work Wink. And if that is the case, add the Kingston 2GB 50X Elite Pro SD card as incompatible.
Kingdomcome
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
From what Ive read, the transfer rate to and from the sd card is rather slow with the simple i/o required for our routers. During the initial startup with a new card installed, dd-wrt has to set up the file system and other things, so the law of numbers says its going to take quite a bit longer to set up a 2GB versus a 16MB. If I remember correctly, I read that it took someone on the forum 6 hrs for the router to set up the card and finish booting.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 23:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, I knew about that so I let it sit with the 2GB over night... that's 10 hours and it was still hung. I've just tried everything to get this thing working. I've formatted it in FAT, FAT32, EXT2... partitioned it, used a different compiled mmc.o which forces the block size to 512 instead of 1024, all to no avail. As of right now, I'm getting the following error message from 'dmesg' after I have the 2GB inserted and run 'insmod mmc.o'

<4>mmc: can't get major 121

Does that mean that this 2GB is a sure no go?
csundar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 0:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
from this site (http://uanr.com/sdfloppy/), it seems like the max size should be 4GB, but I can't get my 2GB working either (corsair). Let me know if you find a solution.
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello ... I have solved my problem with 2 GB SD CARD !

My router is WRT54GS v1 + MOD SD CARD + HDD COOLER !

The problem:
16 MB miniSD + adaptor found perfect!
2 Gb SD card not fount !

The router is power on the DMZ LED is ON , on full time and the router is LOCKED, no WIRELESS and no LAN , after 1 minutes , all LED is ON and the router is AUTO reboot and OK, its found, no SD CARD DETECTED !

For same days my HEAD is hot and I have solved my problem THE POWER SUPLY !

Yes i changed my original POWER SUPLY ( 110 VOLTS > 12 Volts > 1 AMP ) to 110~220 > 12 Volts > 5 AMP !

Now I have ROUTER + DD-WRT + 2 GB CARD ! Laughing
ldbobby
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hrm, I was thinking it was a voltage problem. Did you just happen to have a power supply lying around that fit? O_o
csundar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
any way to fix the mod so that people don't need to use a new power adapter if I remember V=IR, so if we have V constant we can increase I by decreasing R...any practical way to do this within the router?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: