Is Linksys ea6900 supported for ddwrt firmware?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 59, 60, 61  Next
Fractal
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
moonshinesg wrote:
In an attempt to recover from the bad stock firmware I believe I managed to make things worse, maybe even brick the router.
After flushing with what now seams to be a wrong firmware, the router is stuck into a continuous reboot cycle. The tftp seams to work, but not long enough to send a full firmware (this maybe made the things worse).

Anyone know if there is still hope ?
Thanks.

The problem you are getting is that your OS/firewall is blocking java.. The Linksys smart software is java and some OS/firewalls block the redirect call. This specifically happens to mac's and windows 8 boxes. To get by this on windows, disable the firewall and load firefox with latest java update.. This should take you to the linksys smart wifi.. Then you can flash your router with the dd-wrt image.. If you want to have dd-wrt permeant on the device, after dd-wrt is installed reflash the router in dd-wrt and it will store the image on the 2nd boot partition on the NAND flash. The reboot cycle you are seeing is due to flashing a file and it didn't complete writing nflash1.trx before the device was rebooted so the router kernel panic's and reboots.

After about 10 or so reboot loops/ un plug/ replug in the router, should boot the default linksys firmware.. Once you are there you can upgrade accordingly.

I have had good success with the firmware here for my EA6900, latest versions I have seen seem to support 256QAM support and beam forming.

For AC devices, I like this and the R7000.
I wish the AC66U was dual core proc

-Fractal
Sponsor
moonshinesg
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fractal wrote:
moonshinesg wrote:
In an attempt to recover from the bad stock firmware I believe I managed to make things worse, maybe even brick the router.
After flushing with what now seams to be a wrong firmware, the router is stuck into a continuous reboot cycle. The tftp seams to work, but not long enough to send a full firmware (this maybe made the things worse).

Anyone know if there is still hope ?
Thanks.

The problem you are getting is that your OS/firewall is blocking java.. The Linksys smart software is java and some OS/firewalls block the redirect call. This specifically happens to mac's and windows 8 boxes. To get by this on windows, disable the firewall and load firefox with latest java update.. This should take you to the linksys smart wifi.. Then you can flash your router with the dd-wrt image.. If you want to have dd-wrt permeant on the device, after dd-wrt is installed reflash the router in dd-wrt and it will store the image on the 2nd boot partition on the NAND flash. The reboot cycle you are seeing is due to flashing a file and it didn't complete writing nflash1.trx before the device was rebooted so the router kernel panic's and reboots.

After about 10 or so reboot loops/ un plug/ replug in the router, should boot the default linksys firmware.. Once you are there you can upgrade accordingly.

I have had good success with the firmware here for my EA6900, latest versions I have seen seem to support 256QAM support and beam forming.

For AC devices, I like this and the R7000.

-Fractal

Seams like mine is really stuck in the reboot loop. Nothing seams to make it stop. It only gets about 10-12sec activity and then reboots. On and on and on...
Any other ideas ?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
seams like I got myself an expensive paper weight....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
moonshinesg wrote:

Try this:

1. Unplug power
2. Get a pen and hold in reset button
3. apply power with reset button pressed in for 30 sec
4. release pen count to 30 then unplug power
5. wait 10 seconds, then apply power

Retry a few times if you don't get back to stock firmware..

Let me know if that helps

-Fractal
moonshinesg
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fractal wrote:
moonshinesg wrote:

Try this:

1. Unplug power
2. Get a pen and hold in reset button
3. apply power with reset button pressed in for 30 sec
4. release pen count to 30 then unplug power
5. wait 10 seconds, then apply power

Retry a few times if you don't get back to stock firmware..

Let me know if that helps

-Fractal

No, the stock firmware is not back. It does seams to slow down the power cycle which now lasts around 30sec (was 10-12sec)... Other tricks I should try ?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello Devs

I just purchased the EA6900 to to replace my rt-ac66u acting as my networks gateway. I needed the faster CPU to handle my FPL Fibernet Internet and QoS settings.

The router has only been up a couple days now but seems to be running my configuration without issue.

Only problem I've noticed so far is that the settings fields in webgui after being saved/applied or reboot will sometimes be missing. For example if I set the wifi security to WPA2 personal/AES after a reboot the setting will show WPA2 personal/tpik.

Another issue with setting not showing correctly... NAS Samba setup after reboot server string is missing, same with my dhcp static leases and the MAC address, host names, and IP addresses disappearing after save and reboot. Lastly is the UPnP settings won't stick either. I enable UPnP with clear ports on reboot, but again after a save/reboot the service is disabled again.

Whats weird, when doing an "nvram show" some of these settings are save correctly, others are not. (sorry i'm at work right now and not in front of the unit to be more specific.)

Is this a problem with the ea6900 or the new K3-AC-ARM builds in general?

Keep up the great works guys! If you need any info from me... please just ask.

Gratitude,

Robert aka Mrengles

PS. I'm using Kongs build 23270 after initial flash with BS build from 12/24/2013.

Fractal wrote:

...For AC devices, I like this and the R7000.

-Fractal

I feel the same way about these new ARM devices.

Whats with the Fan settings? Does the Linksys EA6900 have a built-in fan for cooling, and if not do you think we could solder a small fan (from digikey or the like) onto the motherboard that would fit inside the case to support the fan/power management feature that shows in the webgui?
mrengles
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello Devs

I also just noticed using the same build as mentioned in my post above. The wl0 temp stopped reporting in the webgui after a couple of days.

So right now its only show CPU and WL1.

I haven't tried "erase nvram" or reinstalling the firmware yet to see if that brings back the temperature monitoring again.

Thanks again,

Robert aka Mrengles
mrengles
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 0:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello Everyone

Sorry that I keep posting again and again right after myself, but I assumed this was the Linksys EA6900 Build thread and want to post all of the bugs/problems I notice for better support in the future.

If i'm wrong about this thread, I'll start one and continue elsewhere.

I'm currently using Kong 23270 and can't seem upgrade to Kong 23310 via the ddwrt webgui. After every try with or without restore to factory defaults selected the router just reboots back to 23270.

I though this might have been due to the 2nd boot partition on the NAND flash according to Fractals post above, but after several flashes of 23310... i'm still stuck at 23270.

Gratitude,

Robert (Mrengles)
_Robb_
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrengles wrote:
Hello Devs

I also just noticed using the same build as mentioned in my post above. The wl0 temp stopped reporting in the webgui after a couple of days.

I haven't tried "erase nvram" or reinstalling the firmware yet to see if that brings back the temperature monitoring again.

Thanks again,

Robert aka Mrengles

I also have this issue on EA6700. My device is detected as Northstar after some large intensive transfer.

One time a reflash of dd-wrt helped, another I had to go to stock(tftp) and then flash dd-wrt again.

I think there's a problem on these builds.

DO NOT 30-30-30 or erase nvram newer routers! It can brick them.

EA6700: Build 27745 (nvram below 32K, ipv6 - HE 6in4)
E4200: Build 26587
WRT54GL: Retired - waiting in the closet for an emergency.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="_Robb_"]
mrengles wrote:
Hello Devs

Thanks again,

Robert aka Mrengles

If it detected as northstar, then nvram or cfe is corrupt. I have seen multiple reports of what looks like nvram corruption. Unfortunately I have none of these linksys devices, thus cannot do any testing debugging to see what is wrong on these units.

Last edited by <Kong> on Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:43; edited 1 time in total
_Robb_
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
_Robb_ wrote:
mrengles wrote:
Hello Devs

Thanks again,

Robert aka Mrengles

I also have this issue on EA6700. My device is detected as Northstar after some large intensive transfer.

One time a reflash of dd-wrt helped, another I had to go to stock(tftp) and then flash dd-wrt again.

If it detected as northstar, then nvram or cfe is corrupt. I have seen multiple reports of what looks like nvram corruption. Unfortunately I have none of these linksys devices, thus cannot do any testing debugging to see what is wrong on these units.

What can we do to help find the root cause?

DO NOT 30-30-30 or erase nvram newer routers! It can brick them.

EA6700: Build 27745 (nvram below 32K, ipv6 - HE 6in4)
E4200: Build 26587
WRT54GL: Retired - waiting in the closet for an emergency.
mrengles
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
_Robb_ wrote:
<Kong> wrote:
_Robb_ wrote:
mrengles wrote:
Hello Devs

Thanks again,

Robert aka Mrengles

Likewise

Do they sell this model router in Germeny? I would be more then willing to donate ($100) some cash towards the purchase of one on your paypal page. My problem I can't afford the entire $219.00 msrp

I'm pretty sure BrainSlayer has one, but from the looks of SVN he mostly is focused on the linux kernel and not to much patches for specific devices.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
_Robb_ wrote:
<Kong> wrote:
_Robb_ wrote:
mrengles wrote:
Hello Devs

Thanks again,

Robert aka Mrengles

Did you try BS suggestion (http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/3148):

nvram set 0:devid=0x4332
nvram commit
reboot

If it detects it correctly again, then this value was deleted somehow. If this does not fix it, then your cfe might not contain the needed values for detection anymore.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrengles wrote:
_Robb_ wrote:
<Kong> wrote:
_Robb_ wrote:
mrengles wrote:
Hello Devs

Thanks again,

Robert aka Mrengles

Likewise

Do they sell this model router in Germeny? I would be more then willing to donate ($100) some cash towards the purchase of one on your paypal page. My problem I can't afford the entire $219.00 msrp

I'm pretty sure BrainSlayer has one, but from the looks of SVN he mostly is focused on the linux kernel and not to much patches for specific devices.

Amazon is selling it for 150€ right now. So if we can't figure anything out. We could arrange that.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote at the SVN...

{...never use "erase nvram" again. use the gui reset. this works different}

Is there a command we can use to clear/erase these units nvram from the CLI?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 59, 60, 61  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 61
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: