How to set static IP per MAC?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
gil80
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:21    Post subject: How to set static IP per MAC? Reply with quote
Hi,

how can I set static IP per MAC address and what should be the lease time?
What happens when the lease time ends?
Sponsor
jackykoning
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
by clicking around in the webui you should find it...
but yeah... its here.

and lease time? nah not needed. If you set it, it will refresh when the time is over. you will not disconnect.

and since you asked where. click add in the section called "DHCP Server".

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
The lease time in setup is not where you can set the lease time for reserved assigned IP's. Purely static IP addresses are set in the client. So I'm thinking you are talking about a reserved but DHCP assigned IP for clients via MAC address.

If you leave the time field blank where you setup reserved IP per MAC the assigned IP will never refresh.

I found DNSMasq did not perform all that well for this kind of thing. I played with letting the firmware take care of it vs. enabling DNSMasq and let DNSMasq handle IP/DNS stuff.

When using DNSMasq stuff got confused. IP's not released, the time for how long the IP was assigned was flakey. Some entries would say forever, some said 1 day, etc., even though none of then had any time assigned so ALL of them should have said "Never".

By not using DNSMasq the reserved IP-MAC thing is working as one would expect.

Tomato variant is easier in terms of setting up this kind of thing however. DD-WRT is not all that intuitive and user friendly for this particular feature.

It does work fine with DD-WRT. Just is harder or more time consuming to setup.

Previously:
Asus RT-N66U
Linksys E3000
Linksys WRT54GS Version 2.1
Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
Linksys WRT54G Version 1.1
jimfree
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
My experience with DNSMasq differs somewhat from jsmiddleton4. I have 20 reserved IP addresses on my network and have not experienced any issues with DHCP on any of kong's releases. My current router is R6300v2 running 24500M.
jsmiddleton4
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
DHCP Reserved addresses worked with DNSMasq. Could be what I'm seeing falls more under a GUI category than actual function of the DNSMasq component. Clients did get the correct IP, it was reserved, etc. Bypassing DNSMasq works just as well, everything is just as fast and stable and the GUI reports properly. So I'm not exactly sure what the benefit if of using DNSMasq for my setting.
Previously:
Asus RT-N66U
Linksys E3000
Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
jsmiddleton4
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried Shibby's 121 and had issues with wireless security. Came back to Kong's 24345. So had a chance to play with the reserved IP address stuff.

Best I can tell what I am seeing is as noted more likely a GUI thing. IF I enable store dhcp database in JIFFS I have all kinds of issues like leases not being deleted in Status LAN area, etc.

If I don't use JIFFS, use either NVRAM or regular storage I don't see any goofy stuff with the dhcp lease information.

Not sure what regular storage is if not memory but there you go....

If I use JIFFS to store the db, the LAN status information page is goofed, delete doesn't work, etc.

Previously:
Asus RT-N66U
Linksys E3000
Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: