Flashing WNDR3800 to DD-WRT from OPENWRT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
LinuxPoser
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 16:44    Post subject: Flashing WNDR3800 to DD-WRT from OPENWRT Reply with quote
So I have my wndr3800 flashed with CeroWRT ( an Openwrt derivative) and overall I haven't been satisfied with it so I decided to hop on over to dd-wrt. However, I have been unsuccessful flashing it. I tried booting into tftp mode by holding the reset, and sending it through the command prompt. After it booted it just booted straight into openwrt. I also tried upgrading through the system flasher on its web page.

Any other advice?
Sponsor
B@R
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Revert it to original FW, read the process description on OpenWRT site. After that flash DD-WRT. Don't revert to latest versions of original FW, at least it valid to TP-Link routers.
LinuxPoser
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks for the advice. for some reason it wouldnt let me cross flash from openwrt to dd-wrt, but going to stock and to dd-wrt worked. thanks a ton!
B@R
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
As I know, you can not to flash directly from OpenWRT to DD-WRT.
RouterOS
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 17:32    Post subject: How to flash from stock to DD-WRT Reply with quote
Dear LinuxPoser and B@R,

How did you got from stock to DD-WRT?

I can go back from OpenWRT to stock (Netgear) FW.
After uploading an image file with tftp the router reboots with the new FW (stock or OpenWRT).

But when I upload DD-WRT with tftp or web ui I can't get it working.
After tftp I think the router stays in tftp mode. After web ui upload I think the router is unreachable and I upload OpenWRT again.

I tried the 30/30/30 reset but no luck.

What did you do to get DD-WRT on this router?
Thanks for your help.
B@R
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you are in stock FW web interface, you should use internal function of firmware upgrade and use the file like
factory-to-ddwrt.bin for your version of router. It very simple way for people without any special knowledges.
From within the DD-WRT you must use other file(s)
like tplink_archer-c7-v2.bin for YOUR ROUTER'S TYPE.
The TFTP use for bad flashing issues, not for general update.
RouterOS
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 16:49    Post subject: How to flash from stock to DD-WRT Reply with quote
As you suggested I used the web ui of stock Netgear FW (1.0.0.16) and the file wndr3800-factory30417.img.

After uploading the connection is lost. I think this is expected because of the new FW.

But I can't login to DD-WRT (192.168.1.1).
What is the correct procedure to get DD-WRT on a WNDR3800?
I think even a 30/30/30 reset after flashing doesn't help.
B@R
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Default router IP with DD-WRT is 192.168.1.1 . You can change it in LAN settings.If you use latest version of FW, there may be delay before you can get web interface. It is the bug, not a feature. Smile If your LAN card got IP over DHCP, you can see where the router is. You can telnet it with root/admin name and password. The WEB UI problem will be corrected I hope soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: