Unknown MAC Help!

Brewder
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 13:08    Post subject: Unknown MAC Help! Reply with quote
Help.

I upgraded DD-WRT from a Kong build to a BS build and my Yamon 3 setup went a bit nuts. I did the re-install as instructed, but I'm still seeing traffic on the "unknown mac" ever after I thought I reset everything.

I see traffic in the reports from all of my devices, but still seeing some from "unknown mac".

How can I fix this once and for all?

//Brew

2017-03-25 09_06_53-YAMon__ Usage monitoring by group and device....png
 Description:
 Filesize:  21.78 KB
 Viewed:  5662 Time(s)

2017-03-25 09_06_53-YAMon__ Usage monitoring by group and device....png

Sponsor
al_c
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:15    Post subject: Re: Unknown MAC Help! Reply with quote
Brewder wrote:
Help.

I upgraded DD-WRT from a Kong build to a BS build and my Yamon 3 setup went a bit nuts. I did the re-install as instructed, but I'm still seeing traffic on the "unknown mac" ever after I thought I reset everything.

I see traffic in the reports from all of my devices, but still seeing some from "unknown mac".

//Brew

Brew - did you get things figured out? There was a glitch that was fixed in the latest build... run compare.sh on your router to see if your files are up to date.
Let me know if you need more help.

Al
Brewder
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:48    Post subject: Re: Unknown MAC Help! Reply with quote
al_c wrote:
Brewder wrote:
Help.

//Brew

Brew - did you get things figured out? There was a glitch that was fixed in the latest build... run compare.sh on your router to see if your files are up to date.

Al

I still see some daily traffic on a daily basis on the UNKNOWN MAC tag... let me run the compare tonight and see what happens.

Thanks!

/Brew
Brewder
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 14:59    Post subject: Re: Unknown MAC Help! Reply with quote
al_c wrote:
Brewder wrote:
Help.

//Brew

Al

Just searched my router... Where do I find compare.sh??

//Brew
al_c
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 16:59    Post subject: Re: Unknown MAC Help! Reply with quote
Brewder wrote:
al_c wrote:
Brewder wrote:
Help.

//Brew

Al

//Brew
compare.sh is included in the latest YAMon install.sh script... by default, you'll find it in /opt/YAMon3/. It will compare the YAMon files on your router with those at usage-monitoring.com.

Al
Brewder
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 17:15    Post subject: Re: Unknown MAC Help! Reply with quote
al_c wrote:
Brewder wrote:
al_c wrote:
Brewder wrote:
Help.

//Brew

Al

//Brew
compare.sh is included in the latest YAMon install.sh script... by default, you'll find it in /opt/YAMon3/. It will compare the YAMon files on your router with those at usage-monitoring.com.

Al

Hmmm... it's not on my router and I thought I had the latest and greatest version running. I'll download and re-run the install now.

//Brew
EdJanx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 13:56    Post subject: On latest build, I see a device with an Unknown MAC & no Reply with quote
Hello Brewder!

Sorry to report that I have the same issue, and I just ran a ./compare.sh to confirm I'm up to date. I have 7 GB of downloads on it this month, or 5.7% of my traffic. There is no uploaded traffic from this device (see attached screenshot).

Could it possibly be a TP-LINK GB Network switch that is hardwired from my R7000? I use this to connect a WiFi extender and my entertainment center, which has a Home Theater receiver and other components that only have Ethernet LAN connections.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure the TP-LINK switch even appeared as a device on earlier versions of YAMon.

Thanks for any advice, and let me know if you need any logs, etc. to look into it
Janx

YAMon-unknown-mac-ip.png
 Description:
Monthly Usage Breakdown and Groups and Devices tabs in a combined screenshot demonstrating unknown mac and 0.0.0.0_0 IP address
 Filesize:  117.72 KB
 Viewed:  4652 Time(s)

YAMon-unknown-mac-ip.png

al_c
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 14:33    Post subject: Re: On latest build, I see a device with an Unknown MAC & Reply with quote
EdJanx wrote:
Hello Brewder!

Sorry to report that I have the same issue, and I just ran a ./compare.sh to confirm I'm up to date. I have 7 GB of downloads on it this month, or 5.7% of my traffic. There is no uploaded traffic from this device (see attached screenshot).

Could it possibly be a TP-LINK GB Network switch that is hardwired from my R7000? I use this to connect a WiFi extender and my entertainment center, which has a Home Theater receiver and other components that only have Ethernet LAN connections.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure the TP-LINK switch even appeared as a device on earlier versions of YAMon.

Thanks for any advice, and let me know if you need any logs, etc. to look into it
Janx

I recently added a catch-all IP address in the YAMon iptables chain which matches traffic not handled by any of the addresses above it in the list.

I'm remiss in getting v3.3 into the wild. The big difference for it is that it (in theory) will better distinguish local vs remote traffic. It has been running (in parallel on my router for several weeks and seems to be stable. I will release it ASAP.

Al
EdJanx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:24    Post subject: Re: On latest build, I see a device with an Unknown MAC & Reply with quote
al_c wrote:
EdJanx wrote:

Janx

I recently added a catch-all IP address in the YAMon iptables chain which matches traffic not handled by any of the addresses above it in the list.

I'm remiss in getting v3.3 into the wild. The big difference for it is that it (in theory) will better distinguish local vs remote traffic. It has been running (in parallel on my router for several weeks and seems to be stable. I will release it ASAP.

Al

Hello Al.

If you'd like a 3.3 beta tester, just let me know! Smile

Thanks,
Ed Janx
al_c
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 16:00    Post subject: Re: On latest build, I see a device with an Unknown MAC & Reply with quote
EdJanx wrote:
al_c wrote:
EdJanx wrote:

Janx

Al

Hello Al.

Thanks,
Ed Janx
THx - I will send a link on the weekend... things have been really busy for the past month so I'm really behind on YAMon.

With the end of the school year in sight, I'll have more time and energy to focus on YAMon again (In addition to a day job and YAMon, I tutor HS math in my `free` time).
al_c
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 16:01    Post subject: Re: On latest build, I see a device with an Unknown MAC & Reply with quote
EdJanx wrote:
al_c wrote:
EdJanx wrote:

Janx

Al

Hello Al.

Thanks,
Ed Janx
THx - I will send a link on the weekend... things have been really busy for the past month so I'm really behind on YAMon.

With the end of the school year in sight, I'll have more time and energy to focus on YAMon again (In addition to a day job and YAMon, I tutor HS math in my `free` time).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: