dd-wrt will not connect to the internet

Cindy62707
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:34    Post subject: dd-wrt will not connect to the internet Reply with quote
I have a LinksysWRT3200ACM running dd-wrt. It has been fine for years. Today, when I had to reboot the ISP modem it is connected to, it didn’t want to reconnect to the internet. The light over internet stays orange.

In researching a problem like this in the forum, it was suggested to change the IP address to 192.168.3.1 (it was previously 192.168.2.1) as it might be an IP address conflict. I tried that but it made no difference.

I ruled out an Ethernet cable issue by swapping out the cable with another router and it works fine on the other router. The computer can connect to the dd-wrt router but the router cannot connect to the internet after the modem reboot today. I’ve rebooted the modem a few more times this evening also. I have rebooted the router several times too.

What else can be wrong?
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
No idea which build (firmware number) you are running..nor any details on your set up...lack of internet could means a zillion of possible problems/solutions...more details needed...typical modem reboot (than wait for 5 min) than turn on your router and wait for 3-5 min...also, check you do have a DNS and NTP time..and so on and on...lots of diagnostics to follow...
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
UnicornStallion
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
For what it's worth, I had similar problems and it was an IP address conflict. Basically, my modem insisted on having 192.168 addresses for itself. I could connect to the router, but not to the modem or the internet. In the end, the solution was to change my router to 10.0.0.1 and give it an entirely different subnet so there was no possible way there could be conflicts with what the modem wanted. No problems at all since I did that.
- USB hard disk plugged into router as NAS drive.
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
If the ISP gear is a modem and not modem/router combo or is in IP pass-through mode / bridge mode, you may have to either power down both devices, wait five minutes, power up "modem", wait five minutes, and power up your router, use MAC cloning, OR contact the ISP to resolve the issue.
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
mitchd123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cindy normally you get an IP address from your provider's equipment.

1) In DD-WRT under Setup to Basic setup, the Wan Connection type should be set to automatic.

2) In DD-WRT under Status to WAN, you should see if you have an IP address from your provider.

IP addresses work together with the subnet mask, usually /24. It's like a phone number and area code. You must ensure the area code is correct if you change your phone number. With a phone number the area code comes first. With networking the subnet mask is listed after the IP address. The default is usually 192.168.1.1 / 24 (under Setup, Basic Setup, Network Setup, Local IP address.

There are some basic networking video on Youtube. If DD-wrt worked for a while, and stopped working probably something else changed. Sometimes the provider goes down. Learn about the ping command.
UnicornStallion
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
mitchd123 wrote:
Cindy normally you get an IP address from your provider's equipment.

Normally, yes. But in my case it didn't work that way. My ISP's modem is separate from my router (because it's an outdoor 5G cell modem) and it uses the IP address 192.168.1.1 for its own web based control panel. Of course, this is the same address that dd-wrt uses by default. And so I had an IP address conflict that prevented me from being able to access anything. I had to change dd-wrt to use 10.0.0.1/24. Once I did that, everything worked fine.

- USB hard disk plugged into router as NAS drive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: