r7000 a good idea?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
jebise101
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
justyourimage wrote:
jebise101 wrote:
Dunno the reboot issue seems like a huge deal breaker for me and I'm thinking of returning mine. I'm running 24345 OLDD and this works fine and does not reboot but the NEWD firmware has some fixes I want and it does not look like we will see a new stable build for it any time soon. I actually do not have the reboot issue with the enw firmware and the devices I own, but when guest come over it a totally different story.

Unless boardcom gives us the fix majority will be stuck with 24345 until Kong decides to release OLDD firmware which is unlikely or boardcom gets off there butt.

I got this router cheap on black friday and if I can get the Asus AC 1900 router around the same price I will switch.

Good luck with that as far as I understand it it 's the Driver and not the Device as in you will experience the same thing with similar Devices from ASUS. At least when you're planning to run the NEWD DD-WRT Builds.

wl0_ampdu=off is all you need as a workaround. The range of the 5G band should be plenty to get high performance within a medium range - the rest of the devices don't really need ultra high bandwidth on the 2.4GHZ band so this should be fine for most for the time being until - in 2 years Broadcom decides to make their Driver public to us.

Wouldn't need ddwrt coz I can just use the merlin firmware. As for the ampdu fix don't think it will work for my case as most devices still connect to that such as the chromecast and cellphones. What is the speed limit with that fix?
Sponsor
justyourimage
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Never tested it myself since I'm rarely using it - and if only when I'm out in the garden (yea, Winter).

As far as I remember around 54 Mbits real Throughput (per Device I guess) is what others said.

Edit 12/19/2014:

Wrong info it seems wl0_ampdu will most likely NOT limit your speed. Just found mikes post in the reboot thread:

slidermike wrote:
daath is correct.
disabling WMM on 2.4 will limit the connection/throughput rate to 54mbps.

the ampdu has a different purpose.
Though the result in disabling the 2.4 ampdu for some has made the difference for stability.

My contributions:

[Script] Adblock Plus Filters for Privoxy (without Optware)
[Privoxy-Template] PVXY Modern (officially integrated in DD-WRT starting Build r25541)

My Devices:

Netgear R7000 running DD-WRT BS 25648 with wl0_ampdu=off as Router
ASUS AC66U running DD-WRT Kong 23900 OLDD downclocked to 500 MHz as Repeater
ASUS N66U running 374.43_2 MerlinWRT with BL1.09 downclocked to 500MHz as WET for my Mainmachine
Linksys E2000 running Tomato v121 as WET for my Synology DS214play and Minix Neo X7 Mini

Last edited by justyourimage on Fri Dec 19, 2014 20:00; edited 1 time in total
MicroMonkey
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for all the input, but here is a good question.....is it even worth installing dd-wrt into this router? What would I gain? I purchased this router and I am waiting to get it, but I am just wondering what the gain is. I know dd-wrt can open up a few features or make some features more robust, but I know nothing about this router, so I am curious. dd-wrt worked miracles on my old GL router
justyourimage
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 14:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
People mostly choose it for advanced features like Tx Power adjustments (as in increasing WiFi-Troughput over Range), Country-Settings (as in unlocking other Channels and increasing Tx Power Limits), Adblocking with Privoxy, miniDLNA Server, Chronjob support and more ...

If you're satisfied with the features of the Stock Firmware and don't need any of those above stick with that as it will high likely (with some exceptions) give you a better raw performance e. g. from WAN to LAN.

That said - I'm more happy with DD-WRT on my R7000 then with the Stock Firmware despite the WiFi reboot bug with the current NEWD Drivers. But it 's certainly not for everyone.

Edit:

And it seems my info about wl0_ampdu limiting the 2.4GHz Band to 54 Mbits is wrong. I just dug up the following post from mike:

slidermike wrote:
daath is correct.
disabling WMM on 2.4 will limit the connection/throughput rate to 54mbps.

the ampdu has a different purpose.
Though the result in disabling the 2.4 ampdu for some has made the difference for stability.

Cheers!

My contributions:

[Privoxy-Template] PVXY Modern (officially integrated in DD-WRT starting Build r25541)

My Devices:

ASUS N66U running 374.43_2 MerlinWRT with BL1.09 downclocked to 500MHz as WET for my Mainmachine
Linksys E2000 running Tomato v121 as WET for my Synology DS214play and Minix Neo X7 Mini
jebise101
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
reinstalled 25580 with wl0_ampdu=off and full reset. WiFi seems okay when watching youtube videos, but LAN to LAN transfer takes a hit by 50%. No big deal and can live with this if it means no reboots.
cml750
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
jebise101 wrote:
reinstalled 25580 with wl0_ampdu=off and full reset. WiFi seems okay when watching youtube videos, but LAN to LAN transfer takes a hit by 50%. No big deal and can live with this if it means no reboots.

I have solved the problem by using two R7000's. I have one running the latest 25580 with the wifi turned off that is handling all of my routing and services (USB, Samba, and miniDLNA). I have another hooked by ethernet cable that is serving as my wireless access point running the 24345 with the old drives. I have run with two for quite a while. The one handling the routing and services without wifi ran perfect for over 60 days on 25100, and waas only restarted to switch to the 25580. I tried using the 25100 on my one handling wifi only but it would reboot every 2 - 3 days so I just downgraded to the 24345 when I upgraded my other one. I expect this way it should run perfect until a time the DDWRT team can get the latest Broadcom stuff.
jebise101
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 0:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
cml750 wrote:
jebise101 wrote:

I have solved the problem by using two R7000's. I have one running the latest 25580 with the wifi turned off that is handling all of my routing and services (USB, Samba, and miniDLNA). I have another hooked by ethernet cable that is serving as my wireless access point running the 24345 with the old drives. I have run with two for quite a while. The one handling the routing and services without wifi ran perfect for over 60 days on 25100, and waas only restarted to switch to the 25580. I tried using the 25100 on my one handling wifi only but it would reboot every 2 - 3 days so I just downgraded to the 24345 when I upgraded my other one. I expect this way it should run perfect until a time the DDWRT team can get the latest Broadcom stuff.

Nah had that setup in the past with one as main and the other as AP, the main reason i bought the R7000 was so I have one router.
willko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:56    Post subject: What about the BrainSlayer builds? Reply with quote
Hi all,

I bought an r7000 in sales last week to replace an ageing DIR-655. I really just want a single stable router that provides great Wifi range and decent WAN & LAN throughput. Admittedly I should have dug a bit deeper when considering the purchase as the current situation seems to be a catch 22 trade off... I've read through quite a few posts now and get the feeling an OLDD build (24345?) might be the best compromise.

Anyway, reason for post was I saw BrainSlayer has a few builds out for the r7000 but I can't find any comments on the more recent builds.

How do these builds compare to Kong's and are they any more/less reliable re: reboots? I know everyone is waiting on Broadcom to be able to make any serious advances but what is the best " no faff" solution in the mean time?
mac913
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 16:14    Post subject: Re: What about the BrainSlayer builds? Reply with quote
willko wrote:
Hi all,

I bought an r7000 in sales last week to replace an ageing DIR-655. I really just want a single stable router that provides great Wifi range and decent WAN & LAN throughput. Admittedly I should have dug a bit deeper when considering the purchase as the current situation seems to be a catch 22 trade off... I've read through quite a few posts now and get the feeling an OLDD build (24345?) might be the best compromise.

Anyway, reason for post was I saw BrainSlayer has a few builds out for the r7000 but I can't find any comments on the more recent builds.

How do these builds compare to Kong's and are they any more/less reliable re: reboots? I know everyone is waiting on Broadcom to be able to make any serious advances but what is the best " no faff" solution in the mean time?

Test out the latest stock firmware from Netgear.

Off Site 1

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi & WireGuard - DDWRT r54517 Std
E3000 - Station Bridge - DDWRT r49626 Mega K4.4

Off Site 2

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi - DDWRT r54517 Std
E2000 - Wired ISP IPTV PVR Blocker - DDWRT r35531

YAMon 3.4.6 | DNSCrypt-Proxy V2
justyourimage
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 16:41    Post subject: Re: What about the BrainSlayer builds? Reply with quote
mac913 wrote:

Test out the latest stock firmware from Netgear.

Yes

My contributions:

My Devices:

madi123
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
I replaced my Linksys 54GL with Netgear R7000. No regrets.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 13:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Latest Build and progress for the R7000:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=277319
MicroMonkey
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Been running this router on stock firmware, but want to test out dd wrt, problem is, I can seem to locate flashing instructions, can anyone point it out please?
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
MicroMonkey wrote:
Been running this router on stock firmware, but want to test out dd wrt, problem is, I can seem to locate flashing instructions, can anyone point it out please?

You flash the same way you flash a Netgear build, just upload:

http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/dd-wrt.K3_R7000.chk

then after you see the dd-wrt webif choose factory reset in the webif, then you are all set.
ingber
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does this latest build have openvpn v2.3.8?
Thanks.

Navigation

Jump to: