Making sure I know what I'm doing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Szellem
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 18:41    Post subject: Making sure I know what I'm doing. Reply with quote
Hi Smile

Kinda brief overview:
-I'm a freshman in computer engineering, and I've found myself in the position of setting up the network for my dorm (3 other roommates).
-We started by trying to use the college's network, but it's complete crap, and does not support Linux. So we each chipped in and bought a "35 mbps" connection.
-Then I decided that it would be prudent to be security and privacy minded, so I bought a VPN for $40/yr.
-Finally, I decided to look for a router upgrade (from my Netgear WGR614, which I dearly loved). I wanted something compatible with DD-WRT, which I had only heard about but wanted to try. In the end, I bought an ASUS rt-n12-b1.

Now I'm here Very Happy

I've spent the last three days wading through the documentation, and I'd like some help making sure that I haven't missed something before I try installing dd-wrt on my router.

My router:
ASUS RT-N12B1
Stock Firmware: 2.1.1.1.38

From the router database:
Chipset: Broadcom BCM5357
RAM: 32mb
Flash: 4mb

I have two computers wired to the router, and one non-published wireless network set to 54mbps, with PSK2-AES.

Before installing dd-wrt, I'm going to pull down the wireless network, and unplug the extra lan computer as per these instructions:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N12

I'm also aware of the 30-30-30 reset for upgrading.

Now for my questions:

I have two copies of rt-n12 firmware, and do not know which one to use.
From the database:
dd-wrt.v24-16785_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N12B1.trx
And from the wiki:
dd-wrt.v24-17990_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N12B1.trx

I'm planning to use the one from the wiki, simply because I read warnings against using the database's files.

I've read through the "peacock" thread:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486#top

It mentions that once I've gotten the n12b1 specific build of dd-wrt installed, I should then upgrade to a generic build? This lost me, I'm just getting my head around the version 2.6, NEWD-2, and 17990 type numbers.

--Where would I find a generic build for my router?--

The peacock thread mentions Brainslayer 14929, which sounded like a good idea, and then links to 12548:
ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24_TNG/svn12548/

From the initial package and the peacock thread, I'm pretty sure I'm looking for a mini or standard build of K2.6, which comes with NEWD-2, and I'm guessing build 17990 because my initial firmware came with it.

I'm still going through the different links to 'collections' of firmwares in the peacock thread, but haven't found any files that strike me as "oh, that's the generic build for me", and wouldn't trust myself even if it one did.

Do I need to upgrade to this generic build immediately? I plan to even if it's just a suggested action.

Quote:
Important: This 30-30-30 hard reset works fine for Asus router, but you do have to power cycle after the reset....however, the RT-N16 model you do the 30/30/30 using the WPS button instead of the Restore button.

Does this apply to my N12? I've found that a lot of things pertinent to the N16 apply to me... And I have a WPS button.

Lastly,
Can I ever go back to stock firmware? I can't find a firmware file for n12b1 anywhere on asus's website, and haven't seen the capability of flashing to stock mentioned on dd-wrt's side either.

Thank you so much for reading through all of that!,
-Szellem
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
As stated in note 5 of the peacock....follow the wiki for initial flashing.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Szellem
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf,

Thanks, but that wasn't really a concern of mine. I've read through the peacock thread and my router-specific wiki page, even printed them off for reference. I think I understand how the initial flash will work Smile or at least as well as I can without a demonstration.

I'm worried about what to do after that:

As mentioned in Note 3, I shouldn't flash a firmware with a build number lower than 17990. I'm simply having trouble finding a firmware that is K2.6 and 17990..

Quote:
Once dd-wrt is installed, you should not use a trailed build, and should use a generic build instead UNLESS you have one of the new Linksys Routers (E2000, E3000 E4200) that allocate nvram differently.

This is my sticking point, I've been through all of the links to ftp pages containing builds on the peacock thread and can't locate a generic 17990 build that is K2.6.

This is as close as I get:
ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2010/08-12-10-r14929/broadcom_K26/
And it's only 14929, which the peacock thread advises against for my router, because my 'trialed' build is 17790, I'm supposed to only use builds equivalent or higher.

After digging around for a little longer, I've found this:
ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2011/12-09-11-r17990/broadcom_K26/
So, is ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2011/12-09-11-r17990/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-17990_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin what I'm looking for?

Thanks,
-Szellem
Szellem
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay,
I got dd-wrt working on my router.

Apparently, I did find the right .bin file to use, and was able to flash it by the peacock thread's instructions.

Also, it turns out that holding down the reset button while powering on the N12B1 router puts it into a recovery mode, and I can just flash the stock firmware (which I eventually found) to the router again through Asus's firmware recover tool.

I understand that this is community documentation, but some of the articles that noobs are exclusively directed to are written much more ambiguously than necessary. It would have helped if the peacock thread had gone over the .trx and .bin distinction, and directed new users on how to find their .bin file on the ftp pages. Otherwise, how would we know? And it looks like many people here are tired of dealing with new users, which makes the general integrity and readability of hold-all articles essential to allow new supporters and users.

I really hope to be able to get involved and keep learning about dd-wrt and networking, this is cool stuff!

-Szellem
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Szellem wrote:
It would have helped if the peacock thread had gone over the .trx and .bin distinction,

That is router specific information, and what the wiki is for. Note 5. Follow the wiki. The only time you will use a trx file is for initial flashing. Explained in the wiki.

Szellem wrote:

and directed new users on how to find their .bin file on the ftp pages. Otherwise, how would we know?

Exactly what is contained in notes 3 and 4 of the peacock.

The hold all articles are not because people are tired...it is because it is complex and there is a lot that people need to know. More than most people can write out accurately for each user who asks.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Kaptan Oats
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey Szellem. I bought the same router with the same odd stock firmware version as you. I haven't seen the stock x.x.x.38 firmware anywhere either, and flashed the sucker thinking there would be one available on the ASUS website. I have the build-specific DD-WRT up and running, and about to flash to a generic .bin now.
Szellem
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kaptan Oats,
Hi Smile nice to see someone else with a N12B1 around.
I ended up finding the b1 firmware here:
http://www.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Routers/RTN12_B1/#download

Download the new firmware (60 something) and if you ever want to go back to stock, follow this (I tested it yesterday):

1. Unplug router
2. Press the RESET (not WPS x.x) button and hold while plugging router back in.
3. Wait a few seconds (~30)
4. The power light will blink /very/ slowly, this means the device is in some sort of firmware rescue mode.
5. Let go of the reset button.
6. Use the firmware restore utility (comes on the CD with the router, also available on the download page above) to flash the downloaded stock firmware.
7. the router should boot back into the constrained stock firmware Smile

Also, I found out something really freaking cool yesterday.
It turns out our B1 router has 8MB of flash, not 4!
I read it here first:
http://moonlightknighthk.wordpress.com/2012/02/04/install-tomato-firmware-on-asus-router/

That means we can use the mega build of dd-wrt.
I'm currently using this one:
ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2011/12-09-11-r17990/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-17990_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega.bin

I used the N12B1.trx file with the utility to flash the 'initial' build, and then flashed the mega .bin from there. It totally worked Very Happy But now I have s ton of options, and don't know how to use them... I tried getting nocatsplash working, but it didn't seem to do anything at all, even when I set it up as per the wiki page's instructions...

Anyway, apparently, there's no jiffs2 file system space if you use the mega build, just a heads up...

Good luck!,
-Szellem
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: