Airlink 101 AR670W - Chip & Flash Details

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
slaveunit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hellbore wrote:
Has anyone done any testing to see if changing the transmit power in the Advanced wireless settings actually has an effect on range and signal strength?

Also there is a 4-pin block with 1 pin missing on the motherboard, anyone know what that is for? I see whta I guess is the jtag port, anyone played with that?

Another thought, anyone know where the pins would be to rig up an SD car for jffs, or is that even working on this device?

I have an extra of these and want to try more fun stuff Very Happy

The 4 pins is a serial port. It takes quite a special cable unless you are to make it yourself.

The pinouts are the same as the AR430w
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Serial_port_pinouts
http://wiki.openwrt.org/oldwiki/openwrtdocs/hardware/airlink101/ar670w

The trick with the cable from my guess is that you can make your own from a serial cable but you cannot get the Vcc from a serial cable. So you think ohh Ill just shred a USB because that passes power. Well a normal USB cable passes 5V and this needs 3.3v. So if you use a normal USB you have a good change of frying the board. There was a link for a company in the UK that haad one for about $20 or so.
Sponsor
slaveunit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
stephencw wrote:
christianbiagi wrote:
Hellbore,

Thanks for taking the time to put down what worked for you. I should note that i didn't ever upgrade firmware wirelessly. I wasn't doing anything wrong that i know. I think that all or most of my problems were caused by using the 13064 version first. after about 15 flashes i finally found the september 24th version in the forum and that cleared it up. Again, the symptoms i had were failed network ports or at the least web page admin wouldn't connect and i couldn't ping the router. Ememergency recovery mode worked very well (over and over) at 192.168.1.10. Though at one point one of my flashes back to original firmware either didn't take or the network ports were messed up. Another time it worked fine.
So in my case, try, try again and luckily the router was recoverable. Now i will put it into service and see if wireless N performance is better than it was with airlink firmware.

I wonder how important this 30/30/30 reset is in the equation. I did that several times but it appeared not to be a factor.

I can confirm what Christian is reporting. The current release was not working for me today. However, from my initial testing the release from Sept. 9th seems to work nicely. I have yet to do anything "crazy" with the router.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fothers%2Feko%2FBrainSlayer-V24-preSP2%2F09-08-09-r12874%2Fairlink-101-ar670w/

This is the release I used.

PS: Christian, thank you for the tip on restoring using the emergency image.

Why not try the svn13069 a few pages back?
Hellbore
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 0:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I never did a 30/30/30 reset and I have flashed the firmware to and from dd-wrt and stock firmware multiple times. I'm just too lazy to care, if I brick it who cares when I paid like $5 for it :D

I don't do the 30/30/30 reset, and I flash it over wireless every time, and never had a problem! The sad thing is someone like me who doesn't care never has a problem but someone else who it's more important to will try to follow the directions carefully and end up bricking their precious router Laughing Life isn't fair is it?
MonthOLDpickle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 0:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
So question, if you do it from the site and get to the part where the lan ports don't really work..what can you do? I don't have access to a laptop at the moment.
slaveunit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Page 24, gustav's post. Use BrainSlayer's .bins on page 23.
MonthOLDpickle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had a friend come over and flash it through his laptop..well it went through Firmware DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) but the internet is still not working nor lan...

What do I do?

Also I don't know how to download the guys firmware thingy on page 23.
cfu000
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
--I had a friend come over and flash it through his laptop..well it went through Firmware DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) but the internet is still not working nor lan...
--What do I do?
--Also I don't know how to download the guys firmware thingy on page 23.

10/10/09 build will kill the wired ports (wireless still works), you need 10/12/09 build - see Hellbore's Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:42 pm message on page 25.

Paste the link here again:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/download.php?id=11504
cfu000
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have troubles running VPN client over the wireless, any suggestions?

I use Cisco VPN client (4.6.00.0039) to connect to work, with 10/12/09 (r13069) build, I can do so with the laptop connected directly to the wired ports; yet the channel negotiation errored out if I do the same thing through wireless connection, citing "unknown error".

The other thing is that the WPS botton can not be used to turn off the radio even if this feature is enabled - no matter if press the botton once or press-n-hold, the wireless LED keeps blinking - anyone sees the same thing?

Thanks.
slaveunit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
cfu000,
Why would you suggest someone flash it over wireless when they can follow gustav's instrucions and do it on the LAN port? Makes no sense. I realize that he keeps doing it this way but its a more risky practice.

MonthOLDPIckle,
How can you not download BrainSlayer's files. How do you do it you are asking. YOU HIT DOWNLOAD. SCROLL ALL THE WAY TO THE RIGHT AND HIT DOWNLOAD.
MonthOLDpickle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
10/12/09 is a little progress, now I am getting a DNS not present issue. Other than that lan still really doesn't work.

Should I reset back to airlinks firmware than do the basic webflash for DD-WRT and than do the 10/12/09 one? It still have to be wireless though.

As far as find a download link on page 23 it only links to dd-wrt.com itself..nothing more.
Thought it is linked a couple pages later.

Now I would really like this router to work =/
tripper22
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Since people are having trouble downloading build 13069. I uploaded both the airlink-factory-webflash.bin and ar670w-ddwrt-webflash-13069.bin in a zip file. You need to flash with the factory one first and then the other if you are moving from the original firmware to dd-wrt.

http://www.zshare.net/download/671105751ad95ea9/

or

http://www.easy-share.com/1908163477/Airlink
da808wiz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:43    Post subject: build 13069 issues Reply with quote
FYI, 13069 version loaded well on my AR670W, only issue is when the router has heavy traffic.

throughput drops to 0.0KBbs and cannot ping the router, in my case 192.168.1.1

I'm on ubuntu running azureus torrent client and when it reaches 50+ connections with 300K total transfer, it immediately drops to 0.0K transfer, no connections.
cfu000
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
--Why would you suggest someone flash it over wireless when they can follow gustav's instrucions and do it on the LAN port? Makes no sense. I realize that he keeps doing it this way but its a more risky practice.

Slaveunit:
I do not believe I made such suggestion at all. All I pointed out is that 10/10/09 image caused the dead Ethernet ports, and 10/12/09 image is needed to correct the issue and how to get it.
slaveunit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 15:11    Post subject: Re: build 13069 issues Reply with quote
da808wiz wrote:
FYI, 13069 version loaded well on my AR670W, only issue is when the router has heavy traffic.

throughput drops to 0.0KBbs and cannot ping the router, in my case 192.168.1.1

I'm on ubuntu running azureus torrent client and when it reaches 50+ connections with 300K total transfer, it immediately drops to 0.0K transfer, no connections.

Have you changed your TCP and/or UDP timeout settings? Try changing your TCP Timeout to 300 instead of the default of 3600.

Thats just a thought. But 50 connections is way too little for any router be having issues.
gedster314
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just some updates that I feel apply to previous post since the last time I was here.

Regarding torrents; I have not had any issues with my wds setup and 9-24-09 image. I'm using r-torrent on my ubuntu desktop/server. I've been having no problems pulling down 5+ Mbps. I'm forwording the ports to my Ubuntu machine.

Over all my WDS/virt ssid setup is working pretty well. My throughput on the second hop isn't that great. That seems to be normal, every hop essentially cuts your throughput in half.

I think 9/24 may have a memory leak or something. After a couple of weeks my host router got ingrediblly slow. I rebooted and all was fine. That has been my only issue with the setup and prompted me to try the newer builds.

I still can't get a client setup to work with 9/24, 10/9 or 10/12. For some reason I can not do WDS and Virt SSID with 10/12. My netbook can not connect to the Virt ssid. Back to 9/24 for now.

While flashing, my daughter tripped over the power cord and killed the flash, it was bricked. The emergency recovery flash works well. My computer was set to an ip in the normal .1.1 range, cable in lan port 1, hold reset while powering up and access 192.168.1.10. I loaded the ddwrt factory image and then flashed what ever I wanted.

I also tried to setup an unbridged isolated Virt ssid but did not have much luck. I'll do more research and keep trying.

Keep up the good work guys.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 48, 49, 50  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 27 of 50
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: